Einstein Levi's Leather Jacket Sells for $147,000

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Deleted member 16736, Jul 15, 2016.

1. BobJ

BobJ Practically Family

The Levi site says Sheep leather - actually it says "seep" o_O

2. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

3. Justhandguns

Justhandguns Practically Family

At first I was thinking of getting one as a fellow scientist.... but for 980quids in the UK, I probably would go for something else... maybe an ELC B-3.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    nkang and Lebowski like this.
  4. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Yes, I'm sure the attention was a by-product.:rolleyes:

5. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

What initially attracted me to the jacket was its simplicity and working-class look, especially in the photo of Einstein wearing it. Just too expensive for this working class hero. I wish Wested would do one. Btw, there are some very interesting observations of Einstein in Count Harry Kessler's diaries. They were friendly, and Kessler describes him and his wife as very down-to-earth, decent folks.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That would be a great jacket for Wested to do. They already do a Menlo Levis copy al la Bond which is similar. I always thought it was a goatskin jacket. I certainly read that in a couple of places. It would really work in goat. If it is described as sheep it is probably Capeskin which is a bit more robust than soft, readily tearable lambskin.

A working class equivalent jacket for today would have to be a Carhartt Detroit for affordability and robustness.

tropicalbob and BobJ like this.
  7. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

Tried an XL of this, if its of interest to anyone it is a more boxy fit that the two previous Menlo Jackets of theirs I have. The non lined suedette(cotton) one in XL is a snug but good fit at a 44" chest for me. Then the black leather one fits more boxy and is a little large on me but in a comfortable way as its a heavier more winter weight jacket and then this one fits wider in the body again by at least an inch or two.

I'm no good on identifying leather from touch I'm afraid but it was sheep on the label(correctly spelt!) and was both a thicker and heavier leather than I expected it to be. Hoping to try out a large and see if that fits works for me, If I do I'll post some photos. Is beautifully finished and made throughout I must say, though at the price I guess it should be.

tropicalbob likes this.
  8. willyto

willyto One Too Many

9. nkang

nkang One of the Regulars

Monitor likes this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

$100 for the box ?!? :eek: