Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC B-6 vs. WWII Impressions Tanker Jacket

BobJ

Practically Family
That is one cool jacket O'DubhGhaill. I've felt the tug for one of these for several years now. It's the jacket that was on a lot of the little plastic toy soldiers I had as a kid. And you see them in the movies. The lining reminds me of my Dad's old army blanket he brought back from WW2. I've always liked comfortable, non-restrictive jackets. Thanks for sharing your story, it may be just what I needed to finally get that piece of history. I hope that you wear yours for many years, in good health, and that it inspires you to be a hero! Bob

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have more than enough jackets (well don't we all) but I want a B-6, the looks of a sheepskin flying jacket but with half the heft!

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
BobJ, thanks very much for your well-wishes. As you might know, I share completely your described preferences in this type of jacket. Give Charles at HPA a ring - you will absolutely not be disappointed in the attention you will receive in making your purchase decision.

Smithy, I've given up on the B-6, at least for now...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! On the other hand, I very much like the D-1 - if only it had a waist cinch or side zipper like the B-6....

From a practicality standpoint, however, I simply must keep telling myself that I have a 1980s Cooper A-2 for mid to upper 40sF to upper 50sF, my versatile Tanker for lower 40sF down to freezing and just below, and for everything below that here in Central New York state, I am now saving for my standard Eastman B-3 in seal brown.

HPA Rep

Vendor
To update, I received the B.R. N-1 in 44R from Charles (HPA) and can report that the quality of manufacturing of the B.R. N-1 is simply outstanding. Unfortunately, the fit for me was not. I have since learned that N-1s fit tight in the armpit, whilst featuring a very generous length of sleeve. Also, the neck cinch of the N-1 collar was a few inches too small for my 17" neck, making it impossible for me to button the collar closed. I so very much wanted the N-1 to work form me.

That said, Charles saved the day by engaging me in an incredibly informative telephone discussion about the historical features of the B.R. N-1 and the B.R. Tanker, all the while offering me a complete refund if I simply chose to return the N-1. I decided to exchange it for the B.R. Tanker in 44 and could not be happier with my decision. The B.R. Tanker is simply perfect - this jacket is warm and looks completely professional for wear to work with dress shirt, tie, and, when closing in near freezing, a jumper. The bi-swing panels allow me to extend my arms completely forward and up without sleeve rise. The length is perfect, does not rise when extending the arms, and ensures no draft will make its way up my waist whatsoever.

WWII Impressions version of the Tanker seems very well done and is not nearly as expensive as the B.R. However, WWII Impressions has not had Tankers (featuring continuous wool wrist piece as opposed to the seamed version they have on hand in certain sizes, not mine) available for several months and won't for several more - I removed myself from their waiting list for a Tanker and placed myself on their waiting list for a pair of their USMC Boondockers, also unavailable now and remaining so for several months more.

Thank you, ODG, for being our valued customer and for the kind sentiments you shared here. It was nice working with you and I was personally pleased to hear the Tanker was such a hit for you, which I hope makes up for the disappointment found in the fit of the BR Heavy-Weight, Non-Stenciled N-1 HPA Edition.

Please enjoy the Tanker in good health, sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy