Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC Hartmann Black Cape Jacket

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just been delivered by the Postman, classic French Motorcycle jacket in a lovely soft Black Cape hide. This is somewhat lighter than my Luftwaffe Steer Jacket & gives me a 'Black' option for the British Springtime. Sized up to a 48 to allow my shoulders & broad back a bit of room. Body has a wool plaid lining (thin) & sleeves cotton lined (I think).

Chest comes in at 26"
Shoulders 21.5"
Front 24"
Back 26"

ATOE.JPG
Hart2.JPG
HAARTT.JPG

arrrrrrr.JPG

Last edited:

bn1966

Cleared out about 10 jackets to fund this number..quite refreshing to have the wardrobe space (Hartmann's not on a hanger incidentally). At half a century I didn't fancy a second skin around my navel..should prove a useful addition to the collective..I love the non-military motorcycle vibe :)

BobJ

Practically Family
Jacket looks awesome! Makes me want one! When you say you didn't want a second skin, did you mean you wanted a more comfortable fit? I think the fit looks perfect.

bn1966

Jacket looks awesome! Makes me want one! When you say you didn't want a second skin, did you mean you wanted a more comfortable fit? I think the fit looks perfect.

Thanks Bobj,

I've got some 40's based flight jackets that fit like the proverbial glove (short & tight) & that's fine. The Hartmann 'fit' is very short & snug if you wear it like Hartmann did..not being in my 20's anymore I wanted a lightweight 'French Motorcycle jacket' that's trim but forgiving (that extra glass or portion).

I'm very pleased with the outcome & all credit to Rob & everyone at ELC :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
Nice one! That's the newest capeskin from ELC and it's really, really impressive. We have some of this in stock and plenty more on order.

Though the Luftwaffe jackets of this type were largely brown, the contrasting look of black with the tan zipper tape makes a persuasive argument for black.

Please enjoy in good health!

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
Nice one! That's the newest capeskin from ELC and it's really, really impressive. We have some of this in stock and plenty more on order.

Though the Luftwaffe jackets of this type were largely brown, the contrasting look of black with the tan zipper tape makes a persuasive argument for black.

Please enjoy on good health!

Does ELC have some brown capeskin?

bn1966

Thanks Gentlemen for your kind comments :)

That new Cape is lovely Charles..I avoided Cape in the past but someone influenced me into buying an A-1 & I've been hooked on the hide since :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
Does ELC have some brown capeskin?

Yes, the brown is also superb stuff and we have it in stock. As I'm sure bn1966 will attest, it's quite stout leather, but it's so airy and lightweight, too, and it has fabulous stretch qualities not found on any of the other major hide types we are familiar with for jackets. Though many of us may think of sheepskin as more delicate, there's nothing delicate about ELC's vegetable-tanned capeskin: you won't be tearing or puncturing this. Imagine a light jacket that conforms to the body immediately and that feels as if one is wearing a cardigan or chamois shirt. I wear mine indoors no differently than a blazer.

The capeskin is used on the A-1 and Hartmann jackets and I have ordered a heaping stock of A-1 jackets for fall because this new capeskin is so fabulous and due to the A-1's popularity; anyone who has seen the capeskin doesn't need any persuasion. I'll be certain to post here when the fall stock is in hand. If you have any questions, please advise. Thank you.

bn1966

Buttery soft leather but sturdy, Rob at Eastman's suggested it (thanks Rob!) as a light weight 'black leather' option (I've got lots of brown). Have been wearing it out today...so comfortable..no 'break in' required to enjoy. Looking forward to the sleeves creasing a bit like my A-1; This jacket I definitely recommend..has a civvy early French motorcycle vibe about it (that being what it is essentially) :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice jacket with a good fit. The cape is interesting. Don't have one yet. I wore my ELC Luftwaffe today, and it is a close cousin to the Hartman. Drizzle with temps in the low 50s called for leather.

bn1966

Nice jacket with a good fit. The cape is interesting. Don't have one yet. I wore my ELC Luftwaffe today, and it is a close cousin to the Hartman. Drizzle with temps in the low 50s called for leather.

The Cape A-1 (ELC) got me into Cape, I like it's lightness, drape & feel.

The Luftwaffe is one of my favourite jackets: I've got the black steer ELC version which is stylish, practical & versatile.

I asked Rob at Eastman's about a light black jacket & he pointed me towards the Hartmann. Much lighter than the Luftwaffe & can step in where the Luftwaffe would be too warm & heavy.

I had initial concerns about too snug a fit in the Hartmann but going up a size from 46 to 48 left it tailored but not tight :)

Marv

A-List Customer
Just love the Hartmann especially in black, your's looks fantastic..........

The next two jackets on my bucket list are the A1 & the Hartmann and possibly another Wested Raiders but this time the Hero jacket in shrunken lamb.

Somewhere on my list (not jacket related this time) is a Fender Jaguar vintage 1965 reissue but that's another story. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana