Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elc monarch and rough wear A-2s.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Hi all, Can anyone out there please tell me if the fit and cut of Elc's monarch is any different from their roughwear A-2's, for example are they roomier or timmer. I currently have an Elc rough wear 27752 and am considering either the monarch or rough wear 1401. thanks

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Monarch is trimmer than the RW which is as it should be as original Monarchs were made in the same way. The current ELC Monarch is a great jacket, being stylish and smart to wear. You might consider going up one size compared with the RW. I have just noticed you live in Biggin Hill and I'm in West Wickham. I have an original Monarch in a size 44 and the latest ELC in a size 42, so if you want to see them in the flesh you can email me on aswatland@hotmail.com.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
The Monarch is trimmer than the RW which is as it should be as original Monarchs were made in the same way. The current ELC Monarch is a great jacket, being stylish and smart to wear. You might consider going up one size compared with the RW. I have just noticed you live in Biggin Hill and I'm in West Wickham. I have an original Monarch in a size 44 and the latest ELC in a size 42, so if you want to see them in the flesh you can email me on aswatland@hotmail.com.

Now that's an opportunity I wish I had.........seeing Andrew's jackets in the flesh, especially those Irvins!

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Elc monarch

Thanks aswatland for your info. My Elc 27752 is a size 38 and i normally take a size 40 so perhaps in an Elc monarch i should order a 40 as i like a trim fit.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Yes i think you are right , but what about the rough wear 1401? decisions and so much choice.

kojax

Practically Family
i have a real mccoy a2 i take a size 38 but in the real mccoy jacket i got a 40 fit is good .

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Hi kojax, i also have some other jackets in various sizes but they seem to fit well apart from my aero A-2 which is a size 42 and thus a bit large on me .

aswatland

If you look at pics of pre-war and wartime USAAC/USAAF airmen the fits of their A2s varied enormously, with many wearing ones which were large enough to layer underneath.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Yes andrew you're quite correct and i wear the aero daily to and from work and at weekends walking the fields and woods with the dog. It is large enough for a tshirt and a thin sweater and it is a tough jacket and it is taking an age to break in.

aswatland

In my collection I have a variety of original (17) and repro A2s (5) ranging from size 42 to 46 and the larger ones are ideal to wear a jumper underneath in the current Autumn weather.

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
Quite a collection, but when the cold weather hits us i have the B10 on standby only need a tshirt under that even when its really cold

aswatland

Last winter I wore Irvins almost everyday and they kept me very warm. Is must be warmer at Biggin Hill than West Wickham;)

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I wear a 44 suit and ordered a 44 ELC monarch and it fits fine, but probably with not enough room in the chest to layer with anything. There's more room in the waist that in the shoulders. The cut seem to me pretty square.

smoz

One of the Regulars
... I have just noticed you live in Biggin Hill and I'm in West Wickham ...

Nothing much to add to this topic other than to say that I live in Beckenham, if either of you see someone locally wearing a Highwayman in cordovan say hello.

I have a fifties halfbelt deluxe on order but am considering changing my order to one of Aero's A-2s, I think the jacket I have on order may be a bit too similar to what I already have. Any suggestions as to which of Aero's various A-2s would best suit someone with a bit of a beer belly? I am not particularly concerned with getting an authentic reproduction, just a well made jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21