ELMC Windward dilemma

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Guppy, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

When I bought my Windward, I bought a 44, because I'm generally a size 44 and the measurements looked good for what I usually fit.

Fit was very good, but just a bit restrictive in the chest. I wore it a few times, and gradually it felt better and better as it broke in. But still always a bit restrictive. And I didn't feel like I could layer it.

So last week I was fortunate to pick up another Windward, this one in 46. I thought I would try it on and it would be clear which is the better fit, and I could keep it and sell the other.

Well, it arrived, and it does feel roomier. But maybe too roomy. I think if there was a size 45, it would be a perfect fit. I'm not sure which one to keep. They're both American Walnut, but one is definitely a good shade darker than the other.

Here's photos of both. I'm not going to reveal which is which. But I would like your opinion on which looks like it fits better. [​IMG][​IMG]

samo and Hh121 like this.
  2. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

Just my opinion, but the top jacket looks better.
    The bottom jacket looks too long in the sleeves and body, and looks too loose around the chest (I'm looking at the vertical creases running down the sides of the body at the shoulders).
    I'd be tempted to keep them both, and wear the larger one in winter with a substantial knit sweater underneath.

3. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

First one if I have to pick one, they both look great. What about your heavyweight highwayman?

4. Guppy

I'm still waiting on delivery for that one... had to send another of my Aeros for a zipper repair, so they're going to ship them together when they're both ready. Hopefully soon.

Hh121 likes this.
  5. Guppy

That's the temptation, but I don't have the space for them both in my closets.

6. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

The bottom one looks better but the top is probably more comfy...I’m sure I have them backwards lol. The leather on the bottom looks supreme.

7. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

They both look good......The one without the scarf is the keeper.....

8. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

Both very nice. My question to you Guppy is: To Layer or not to Layer?

That would determine which one I'd keep. Nice place to be to make a choice like that! :)

9. BobJ

BobJ Practically Family

The bottom, lighter one looks nicer on you. It looks more 'authentic' in some sort of way.

The top one makes your lower abdomen look swollen - at least in this photo.

Both of them seem a bit long for this style of jacket, but I like that.

navetsea likes this.
  10. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

I like the top one but I find both a bit longer than I'd prefer. Strange as I was under the impression that the ELMC jackets ran short. Thanks for starting this thread as the ELMC Windward has been on my radar for quite a while.

11. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Could you post a pic with the layering so we could get a better idea?

12. I would prefer the bottom photo. The fit is neater IMO.

navetsea likes this.
  13. Guppy

I find that the length is right where I would like it to be, on both jackets.

14. Guppy

Yeah, I can probably get some more pics up sometime tomorrow.

15. MET

MET A-List Customer

[​IMG]
    Keep this one. Darker shade and better fit to my eye.

jacketjunkie, Monitor and ProteinNerd like this.
  16. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

The bottom one looks too big in the chest, it flops at the armpits quite a lot.
    I vote keep the smaller one.

17. Guppy

Here's the 46 over a sweater:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Monitor

Monitor

I honestly can't say, they both fit alike... But I like this photo better.

MET likes this.
  19. MET

MET A-List Customer

This thread is some kind of a riddle with photos. You are right. There is no significant difference between two jackets based on these two photos. Guppy seems to like looser fits and would stick with a size 46 in the end.

20. After looking closely, I agree. By those photos there doesn't seem to really be much difference. With the lighting, shadows and positioning some things can be deceiving. Out in the sun with hands out of pockets down by the sides might better show how one size compares to the other.
    HD

MET likes this.