Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Empire outlet

sal

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have experience with this company.
In the states it is difficult to find jackets with suede arm patches and I can order any jacket with the ability to have them added.
Their tweeds look nice

thanks

Edward

Bartender
They also advertise in the UK. I've not directly handled one. I wouldn't expect great things, given that they are offering them so cheap, but equally at that price for a basic, workaday suit it's not the end of the world if it doesn't last so long or something happens it. What killed any chance of me ordering from them is that they all appear to be 'fashion' cuts - too skinny for may tastes. I don't mind a narrowish lapel combined with a fifties, boxy cut jacket, but these are skinny all over. The trousers, though, are the real killer for me - too narrow in the legs, and while it's hard to tell entirely from the photos, they seem likely to be a modern style "mid-rise" waistband, markedly south of the natural waist. I've stopped trying to buy trousers that I'm not already certain of or can't try on first because skinny legs and low waists have become so ubiquitous.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
I was happy with Hockerty. If you go into the advanced features you can get a normal fit for trousers with a higher rise, pleats or flat front and there are multiple jaket lapel shapes and widths and I believe you can get elboe patches. I wear mine to a job that will beat up an expensive suit, but for the price I am happy. If you use your phone you have to switch to advanced in thr design section or you will have limited slim for choices.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
FB_IMG_1576634045018.jpg This is the suit I have from Hockerty

Musher Vic

New in Town
View attachment 415884

This is one I bought from Empire Outlet. It is a 48r which is their largest standard size before you get into their made to measure orders. It is a slim cut and very tight. Going to try Studio Suits next.

Attachments

• Empire Outlet suit.jpg
    Empire Outlet suit.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 108

Arnold Layne

New in Town
I have six Empire Outlet suits. I've got six because they're so reasonably priced.
Looking at their website it might be possible to be shocked by their choice of very loud and garish checks, however, looking deeper you may notice some very tastefull tweeds.

I have three herringbone three piece, grey, light brown, and green.
If I were only allowed one suit it would be a grey herringbone, it makes a real statement. You could wear it to a wedding, a funeral or just in the pub on a Thursday evening with your friends. The green herringbone again makes a statement, who wears a green suit? but the colours are a very tastefull dark Lincoln green and the light brown has some amazing shades of brown going on including a subtle plummy brown which goes very well with cherry red Dr. Martens 1460's.

I also have a brown herringbone with an overcheck (not a windowpane) called "Country Estate Herringbone Tweed" which is 189GBP for a three piece atm. the cloth weighing in at approx one pound (lb) a yard! There are some lovely browns going on in this and the horizontal line of the overcheck is chocolate and the perpendicular is a kind of oatmeal, the chocolate is imperseptable so the oatmeal becomes a stripe.
I've written to them since asking if the would sell me nine yards of this cloth so that I could make a kilt but they ignored my email.
I couple of years ago I found myself in the Arctic Circle at the top of Norway close to the Russian border and all I wore was this suit with a skiing layer underneath, a tweed Crombie overcoat and a green 'Made in England' Stetson fedora, warm as mulled cider. My fellow travellers wore mostly pink and blue plastic skiwear!!

My other two are lightweight Prince of Wales/Glen check/Glenurquhart plaid in brown and grey, best tweed pattern there is.

These suits arrive on your doorstep unannounced (no tracking) in a plain brown wrapper a bit smaller than a shoe box so the first thing is a good press. Secondly they always arrive with ghastly terracotta buttons irrespective of the suits colour so these have to be replaced, all eighteen but I have a bloke on ebay that has a range of mock tortoiseshell, horn and snail shell!! buttons to suit most situations. ... and then there are the trousers ...

There are two styles of trouser, slim fit or slightly larger than slim fit (regular). I'm a skinny geezer so it's not a problem but I do like a bit of ballroom. I've a 30" inside seam and I've found that if I order my usual waist size and click long leg, once I've taken up the trousers to the correct height they're comfortably wider all the way down with an extra 1" width at the ankle also it gives me the opportunity to add turnups/cuffs (all their trousers have to be adjusted to the right height btw unless you buy 'made to measure').

Brown Prince of Wales tweed and a cheap Olney panama.
Empire suit.jpg

Musher Vic

New in Town
Mine is the light brown herringbone. I ordered regular short pants and had to have them taken up. the pants are comfortable. The suit arrived in upstate NY 2 weeks after I ordered it. It was reasonably priced, actually cheap, and I found a 15% off coupon on the web. No shipping or tax to the U.S. My main gripe is the jacket and vest are very tight for a 48r. I get compliments on this suit when I wear it.

Musher Vic

New in Town
I have six Empire Outlet suits. I've got six because they're so reasonably priced.
Looking at their website it might be possible to be shocked by their choice of very loud and garish checks, however, looking deeper you may notice some very tastefull tweeds.

I have three herringbone three piece, grey, light brown, and green.
If I were only allowed one suit it would be a grey herringbone, it makes a real statement. You could wear it to a wedding, a funeral or just in the pub on a Thursday evening with your friends. The green herringbone again makes a statement, who wears a green suit? but the colours are a very tastefull dark Lincoln green and the light brown has some amazing shades of brown going on including a subtle plummy brown which goes very well with cherry red Dr. Martens 1460's.

I also have a brown herringbone with an overcheck (not a windowpane) called "Country Estate Herringbone Tweed" which is 189GBP for a three piece atm. the cloth weighing in at approx one pound (lb) a yard! There are some lovely browns going on in this and the horizontal line of the overcheck is chocolate and the perpendicular is a kind of oatmeal, the chocolate is imperseptable so the oatmeal becomes a stripe.
I've written to them since asking if the would sell me nine yards of this cloth so that I could make a kilt but they ignored my email.
I couple of years ago I found myself in the Arctic Circle at the top of Norway close to the Russian border and all I wore was this suit with a skiing layer underneath, a tweed Crombie overcoat and a green 'Made in England' Stetson fedora, warm as mulled cider. My fellow travellers wore mostly pink and blue plastic skiwear!!

My other two are lightweight Prince of Wales/Glen check/Glenurquhart plaid in brown and grey, best tweed pattern there is.

These suits arrive on your doorstep unannounced (no tracking) in a plain brown wrapper a bit smaller than a shoe box so the first thing is a good press. Secondly they always arrive with ghastly terracotta buttons irrespective of the suits colour so these have to be replaced, all eighteen but I have a bloke on ebay that has a range of mock tortoiseshell, horn and snail shell!! buttons to suit most situations. ... and then there are the trousers ...

There are two styles of trouser, slim fit or slightly larger than slim fit (regular). I'm a skinny geezer so it's not a problem but I do like a bit of ballroom. I've a 30" inside seam and I've found that if I order my usual waist size and click long leg, once I've taken up the trousers to the correct height they're comfortably wider all the way down with an extra 1" width at the ankle also it gives me the opportunity to add turnups/cuffs (all their trousers have to be adjusted to the right height btw unless you buy 'made to measure').

Brown Prince of Wales tweed and a cheap Olney panama. View attachment 416417
Wow you have 6 tweed suits? I doubt there are 6 tweed suits in the entire county I live in. I like the blue grey herringbone suit that Empire offers. Maybe I will get that next. They are cut tight though. So maybe not.

Arnold Layne

New in Town
Wow you have 6 tweed suits? I doubt there are 6 tweed suits in the entire county I live in. I like the blue grey herringbone suit that Empire offers. Maybe I will get that next. They are cut tight though. So maybe not.
Ha Ha Vic, yes I do and one or two from other tailors! Plus over the years some vintage tweed suits, jackets and overcoats.

You said in your first post that the jacket and waistcoat/vest were tight and that 48" was their largest size 'ready made'. Asian sizes are notoriously small as you know so I suspect Empire Outlet isn't for you.

In America you have an expression "Hundred dollar suit". That's a bit harsh for these mainly because the cloth they use is so good and in some very traditional tweed patterns but the 'one style suits all' is a very hundred dollar suit concept.

I would recommend Empire Outlet to anyone that doesn't mind slim fit or to those that like more room and that has intermediate tailoring skills (or knows someone that does) just buy the next size up waistcoat and jacket and order the regular fit trousers with the long leg. A bargain price for some very traditional tweed.

Good luck with your next suit Vic, grey herringbone is a great choice and you're bound to garner more compliments!

Musher Vic

New in Town
Americans do not seem to dress up much these days except for weddings. Even at funerals family members wear jeans and sweaters.

Yes the Empire Outlet tweeds are nice suits if you can fit into a slim cut. Cherio.

Musher Vic

New in Town
well I went ahead and ordered the blue grey herringbone 3 piece suit. (It doe not have the terracotta buttons.) The photos are nice and with a 15% off code it was only $215 U.S. dollars. No shipping fees or tax. The last one took 2 weeks to arrive. I like the retro blue grey plaid too, so maybe that will be next.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk