Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"End Of The Season" - who's broken out their leathers?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Although I love my Summer wardrobe, like many FL-ers, having seen all of the jacket purchases posted about over the last few months, I couldn't wait to unpack my leathers from their storage chest.

As it's been slightly chiller this week, I've gotten my Aero goatskin A2 out and have really enjoyed wearing it a coupla times...

So who's broken out their leather jackets, and what have you been wearing?

26255_10150169543795471_725635470_11925037_2405202_n.jpg

Photo op outside the Brill Building, NYC, this Spring...

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Was in Princeton last night at the university playhouse. Brought my A-2 figuring it might be cool when we walked out at 9:30 pm. Doh! Wouldn't you know it was still too warm to don the jacket. Another month and it'll definitely be jacket weather here in the armpit of America.

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
Greetings from the Northern section of the armpit! Yes, still too warm around here. A couple of weeks and it will be leather jacket time I would say.

Edward

Bartender
My ELC horse A2 has made several appearances on wet days this Summer. On Wednesday past the temperature finally dropped sufficiently that I can now wear my Aero Bootlegger, a very pleasing development.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Bruce Wayne said:
I broke out my leather jacket a couple of days ago. It is the time of year where I live that you need a ljacket in the early morning & late evening, but not in the middle of the day.

Same here. I figured if I went out at night, I could wear one of my Eastman A2's. As it turned out, this week I'm in San Antonio and I'll melt if I try to use an A2.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Sigh. The 'summer' here in SF has been so

relentlessly cold, gray, and dismal I could wear a B-3 if I had one. I am happy to hear that others of you have had something to look forward to. Here, we're moving from the Truly Awful weather into the Merely Wretched weather. :rolleyes: Cheers.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
I have worn my Vanson Enfield on several early morning rides in the past month. Wore it this morning til the temp heated up to about 85.
Oh didn't know we were counting riding w/ leather. Actually I wore leather 90% of the time when riding this summer. I'm ATGAAT and prefer perf leather over mesh even in summer heat.

This month, have already had many occasions to ride w/ my Schott HH.

One of the Regulars
Mr Badger said:
Although I love my Summer wardrobe, like many FL-ers, having seen all of the jacket purchases posted about over the last few months, I couldn't wait to unpack my leathers from their storage chest.

As it's been slightly chiller this week, I've gotten my Aero goatskin A2 out and have really enjoyed wearing it a coupla times...

So who's broken out their leather jackets, and what have you been wearing?

26255_10150169543795471_725635470_11925037_2405202_n.jpg

Photo op outside the Brill Building, NYC, this Spring...

I'm a motorcyclist so I wear leather all year round.
I was breaking in a Lost World Ryder HH russet brown jacket, a Schott Perfecto mocha cowhide jacket,a Triumph Cafe Racer black cowhide jacket and a Lost World Buco J23 black HH jacket.
I'm about half way with the Ryder, The Perfecto is broken in already as well as the Triumph Cafe jacket, the J23 is about 10% done, it will take quite a long time.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
1087 said:
I'm a motorcyclist so I wear leather all year round.

You lucky so-and-so! :) Unfortunately, I'm pretty much unsafe on any number of wheels, at any speed! Bikes are pretty much out, really, as I'm 6' 4" and my centre of gravity's just too high. I found that out early, when I got blown into a drainage ditch on my 1967 Vespa back when I was 17. As for cars, well, I did pass my test over a decade ago and gave driving a good coupla years, to see if I'd ever get past the white knuckled stage, to no avail. Shame, as we have a Morris Minor that rarely gets driven! At least I get to wear some serious leather when travelling as a passenger in the Moggie during Winter - a mouse's fart is more powerful than the heater!

Graemsay

Practically Family
Oh come on, stop making excuses.

I'm a similar height to you, and can ride a motorbike. Don't have one at present, but most of the big BMWs are designed for tall people to the extent that they offer low seats and suspension for those of lesser stature. And most of the big Adventure tourer style bikes are equally accommodating.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cool wet snap in IA. Biked to the store yesterday afternoon in my Good Wear Doniger. A very elderly lady expressed surprise that anyone would wear leather so early. (Old midwesterners dress for the season, not current conditions.) I told her it was insurance in case I fell off.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Graemsay said:
Oh come on, stop making excuses.

I'm a similar height to you, and can ride a motorbike. Don't have one at present, but most of the big BMWs are designed for tall people to the extent that they offer low seats and suspension for those of lesser stature. And most of the big Adventure tourer style bikes are equally accommodating.

There's also a wonky balance factor, as I had a lot of ear infections when I was a kid. Point taken about the bigger bikes, but I'm not really keen on them. Ideally, I'd like summat like an old Enfield or an Indian...

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Well, I live in San Francisco, which means jackets are never completely out of season. I broke out my late 40's 3/4 length Daniel Boone horsehide (similar to a Hercules) when I went to a late showing of Machete on Friday night.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Airconditioned Helmet

Here in Colorado it hit 91 today, when I got off my motorcycle the liner in my helmet was soacking wet on the! I wish I could still wear leather all year long, if it gets into the high 60s I am hot, and I don't mean looks. God, I wish some one would invent an airconditioned helmet, we put men on the moon after all.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I was able to wear my Schott 141 on a ride to work Sunday morning, temp was in the mid 60's and the ride was quite pleasant...on the way back temp had climbed into the 80's and with it's furry liner still in place the jacket was just at the edge of it's comfort range.
Fortunately I only had about 7 miles to go, and made it home without undue perspiration.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've worn my Wested Raiders - just light lambskin without sleeve or waist knits - a few times, but it hasn't gotten quite cool enough in the NYC suburbs yet for a proper flight jacket.

But I expect to break out my A-2s in the next couple of weeks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk