Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Creeping Past, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Merv

Merv Practically Family

Very cool boots. Ya don't see Frye's around too much anymore. My olive green pair. Protecting the Holy Grail I see...
    fryes.jpg

marker2037, Vaquero357, Bfd70 and 7 others like this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nice! I've never seen Fryes like that on sale here in the UK, though I'm told the older boots like yours are of better quality than the modern ones.

DrMacabre likes this.
  3. Edward

Edward Bartender

When it comes to boots you both chose wisely.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

These are insanely cool!

5. Bfd70

Bfd70 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Is that an Indy reference?

Edward likes this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

It is indeed!

Bfd70 likes this.
  7. DrMacabre

DrMacabre One of the Regulars

There's a lot on Vinted actually, like this pair in 40 for €18

BC683D7D-7FB2-445B-9BCB-EBBAD5FD65D7.png

It's worth having a look daily. Frye has been Manufacturing in the US until 2003, since 2010, the brand name has been purchased by a chinese company so i guess we are no longer talking about the same product at all.

davyjones007 and Edward like this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Thanks, I'll check that out. Vinted has recently been recommended to me recently for some stuff I need to sell, as an alternative to ebay's price gouges, and Etsy's slow movement. (I love Etsy as a place to buy new stuff from artisanal makers, but it's search facility is lacking which makes it less than ideal for selling a lot of second hand stuff.)

In my experience, it's not so much moving it to China is the problem in and of itself, as that such movement tends to be boxed in with shifting to cheaper labour alongside lots of other cost-cutting exercises - all for the simple fact that the market won't bear the cost of higher quality. Be nice if that changed, but the market being what it is you are probably right if they have shifted production that way and either kept the price down or dropped it even. I've had some great stuff out of China, but if the object is to keep to a set price and not raise it in line with inflation, then something has to give, and very quickly cheaper Labour costs alone won't be the answer.

DrMacabre likes this.
  9. regius

regius My Mail is Forwarded Here

RRL gaucho

Attached Files:

10. Bfd70

Sharp

regius likes this.
  11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

@Merv’s boots sent me down a rabbit hole where I found these vintage Frye’s...
    5F184F4B-A0AB-4C88-AC6E-7BEA2A84DA35.jpeg

12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Those are very cool indeed. I love the utilitarian look, really nice.

13. Bfd70

Did you grab em?

14. Merv

Merv Practically Family

Very Nice!!

15. Merv

Merv Practically Family

I was poking around, trying to find some info on the Frye company. Kind of sad, they've gone to overseas manufacturing. The website has a "Made in USA" section, with very little information about specifically where they are made. The company originally start in Marlborough MA in 1863.

16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Unless or until the mass market is prepared to pay what manufacture in the US / UK / EU / Japan costs, this is going to be a standard evolutionary pattern in many consumer-product businesses. A separate line for "Made in USA" stuff is an interesting idea. After DMs shifted mostly to China, they introduced a (more expensive, obviously) Made in England line. I've not directly compared the quality of those, though I am given to understand that, freed from the need to build everything to the price point the mass market will bear, they actually do put better materials into the England stuff to begin with. Certainly the only complaint I'd ever have about the Chinese-made options has been the poor quality of materials. The actual construction is as good as ever it was, but if the leather they are given to make them from isn't up to the same standard, the final product has no chance of matching up.

Biggest killer on 'made in USA' stuff for me is that they're all imports, and thus subject to the same problems with currency fluctuations. Post 2016, the pound has stabilised, not quite at the historical lows it hit at one point, but certainly at a level which renders most US made goods vastly more expensive than they were prior to 2016. Adding on all the extras (import taxes, shipping, and so on), I can't see buying much at all from the US now unless or until it becomes practical again to visit in person and buy there. Fingers crossed: I still want to do our proper honeymoon trip to Memphis.

18. DrMacabre

Hi guys, Here is another pair of Made in USA Frye Harness boots i just got off Vinted. €50 like the previous one. These are women boots but size 10 so they fit just great.

_MG_8858-2_Luminar4-edit.jpg

Merv, navetsea, marker2037 and 4 others like this.
  19. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

After going back and forth...
    Yes, I did. :)

Boyo and Bfd70 like this.
  20. DrMacabre

hi guys, after mucho considerations, i decided to use a bit of black polish on my latest frye boots and they turned out beautiful.

_MG_8861-2_Luminar4-edit.jpg