Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer boots sizing, Chippewa, Wesco, Red Wing

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
I searched the forum but didn't find any definitive answers about that ( maybe in the engineer boots topic but there are 166 pages or so ) , so i open a topic about it .

I would like to know how the Wesco engineer boots made on the MP 1339 last , size compared to the Chippewa 27863 11" engineer boots and the Red Wing 2268/2972 11" engineer boots ?

I wear 10 to 10,5 D with Chippewa 27863 engineer boots ,whereas the Red Wing 2972 i tried in 10D were too short ( for my left toe ,as my left foot is about 2 to 3 mm longer than my right foot ) !
It seems the 10,5 D fit me better for Red Wing 2972/2268 engineer boots , although i would have liked to try size 11 to see how it would fit me ( although it might be too big for my right foot ) .
I have measured about 28,3 cm for my right foot and about 28,5cm for my left foot ,so i don't really understand why it seems to correspond to 11 to 11,5 US size based on the conversion chart i found on bigblackboots.com ( or even 12 if i want to have some room for my left toe based on this chart ),whereas i usualy wear 10 to 10,5 D with Chippewa and 10,5 should be ok for Red Wing engineer boots !

Some seem to say they wear half size smaller for Red Wing engineer boots 2268/2972 , (let's say 10 as the person specified in his post ), compared to Wesco engineer boots made on 1339 MP last for which they wear a 1/2 size more than Red Wing (so 10,5 ) .
In another hand, i read on a website selling Wesco , to size Wesco boots 1/2 size smaller than regular US boots and shoes ( what some people here seem to say ) whereas some say to size those Wesco ( made on mp 1339 ) 1/2 size larger than Red Wing , while Standard & Strange specifies Wesco engineer boots made on mp 1339 last, size like Red Wing Iron Ranger , so i don't really know what rule to follow !

Last edited:

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Thanks for you answer.
Yes it seems the width of the Wesco using the mp1339 last is narrower than the other boots as E width fit more like D and D width fits more like C from what i was told by some sellers/ shops selling some and Wesco . For me , the Red Wing 2268/2972 size 1/2 size smaller than chippewa 27863 , as for the Chipps i need 10 D or even 10,5 D ( depending on if the pair in 10D sizes big or small , some fit me while some are a bit too tight in length for my left foot , and i tried several pairs in both size) but for the Red Wing the pair i tried in 10D really sized too short whereas 10,5D was ok.

Edward

Bartender
Interested to hear more on this re width from those who own both. I have found that my UK8/EU42 Medium feet fit very nicely in a US9D from Red Wing and a US9E from Chippewa ('E' seemingly the 'standard' width the latter are made in). At some point I'd like to buy myself some Wescos (the dream being A Pair In Each Colour - i.e. brown, tan, oxblood, black!), but going mail order direct from them seems risky if I don't have my size right.

VestCoast

A-List Customer
I've got the Red Wing 2268/2972 (whichever has the steel toe) and three pairs of Wesco MP bosses, all in 10.5. I have both the D and E width in the bosses and find both widths comfortable. The width difference seems to me to be less than the volume difference from wearing different socks. I would not size down when going from Red Wing to Wesco.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It really depends on what your actual foot width/shape is. My custom White's is EEE width. Since Red Wing mostly comes in D width, I have to go up 1 size when buying Red Wing D width engineer boots especially models with steel toe. For Wesco E width Boss (not patrol toe), going up half a size is enough for me. So yes, I do size down from Red Wing. I know it means Red Wing engineer boots do not actually fit me at all. I bought the Red Wing because I like the 8268 a lot (with the beige/off white roughout) and cannot seem to find other engineer boots with the same leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass