Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire Varga, damaged

K

killertomata

I have the March 1941 Esquire print, "Diana."

An ex of mine gave me the print 15 years ago or so; he found it in an antique store. Unfortunately, the thing is framed badly and not in the best shape. I left it as is because it looks fragile, and there is a little mildew damage and sun damage. Finally I've decided to see about getting it reframed and so I looked to see how it's matted and the thing is taped with masking tape onto its backing in the frame.

Of course I keep it out of the sun. I want to reframe it, but I'm a little afraid to. I want to do it myself because I'd hate to lose the thing. But I almost wonder if it could be restored somehow.

Pics are fuzzy- camera battery still bad.

DSCF0370.jpg

The other side is cool, it's a chart of correct dress for men.

DSCF0371.jpg

Anyone here know about mounting vintage paper to reduce acid damage? Or is that possible? I want to save this print from further damage.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Nice print!

If it was my print, since it's already damaged, I would take an exacto knife to remove the tape. www.dickblick.com sells acid-free backings and mats for ready made frames. They also sell (as do most craft stores) acid-free tape. Never put tape all around the print- just use small pieces on each side.

As far as having it "restored," I think any costs associated with that would outweigh the value (monetary, anyway) of the print as that is a very expensive process.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
killertomata said:
The other side is cool, it's a chart of correct dress for men.

DSCF0371.jpg

If you're so inclined, I'd love it if you could (very carefully) scan and post that correct dress for men chart.

K

killertomata

:) I was just thinking about how I could scan that side for the benefit of whomever wanted to study it closer. I thought it was a nifty discovery to have that on the back.

I don't have a scanner, but I will see what I can do and soon.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
killertomata said:
:) I was just thinking about how I could scan that side for the benefit of whomever wanted to study it closer. I thought it was a nifty discovery to have that on the back.

Thank you, fair lady.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
killertomata said:

If you are near a Kinko's they have scanners. :) Just a suggestion.

K

killertomata

PrettySquareGal said:
If you are near a Kinko's they have scanners. :) Just a suggestion.

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that but of course. And there is one near me. And thanks for the other info, I was thinking restoration sounds expensive... and it is.

carter

I'll Lock Up
killertomata, I have a small collection of vintage ads as well as limited edition lithographs. This suggestion is a bit more expensive than doing it yourself but will preserve these pieces.
Take them to a reputable art and frame dealer. If you want them permanently mounted, they can do so and frame them in 'museum' framing. This should mean that the pieces will not touch the glass and that the back of the frame is sealed. All materials will be acid-free. If you may want to remove them at a later date, they can still mount and frame the pieces but not permanently attach them to backing board.
I do not advise cuutting these pieces yourself, if at all, let a professional tell you if this needs to be done. Carter

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
Nice print!

If it was my print, since it's already damaged, I would take an exacto knife to remove the tape. www.dickblick.com sells acid-free backings and mats for ready made frames. They also sell (as do most craft stores) acid-free tape. Never put tape all around the print- just use small pieces on each side.

As far as having it "restored," I think any costs associated with that would outweigh the value (monetary, anyway) of the print as that is a very expensive process.
I agree. On most points that is. You should most definitely use acid-free mounting and framing materials. And it's really very easy to do it, (most of it) yourself. Use standard dimensions for the outside dimension of the mat, such as 16 x 20 inches, or 18 x 24, because it's relatively easy to find nice, inexpensive frames and glass in these sizes at art and craft supply stores. Get two pieces of acid free mat in the color you like, have one cut if need be, to frame your print, and use the other as a backing board for the finished product. As I recall, magazine page sizes don't coincide with the standard size precut mats they sell in craft stores, so you might have to have one cut.
But to be a bit more specific as to the acid free taping part, art works on paper should only have one or two small acid-free tape hinges at the TOP only. This allows for expansion and contraction of all the elements in the frame, (mats, print, backing board, glass, frame, etc.) due to temperature and humidity changes. Taping any of the parts at the sides could result in wrinkling and buckling over time. As to sealing the back, I just use plain brown wrapping paper cut to fit and rubber cement.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hi there,

Sadly, no matter how acid free the products are that you mount it with, usually most magazines of any era are printed with some degree of acid imbued in the actual printing process, or in the paper making process.

Over time, depending on how much acid is in there, it can have an damaging effect on how inherently brittle or yellow it will become.

Of course, that being said,
Usually, the costlier the magazine was at the time of printing = more costly and thicker paper = less acid = less yellowing / brittleness = long life

You have the right idea about not introducing more acid. Make sure to use products of certified archival acid free quality. Can't think of any brand names off the top of my head, but will get back to you when I do...

You may find that the archival mounting materials will slightly yellow over several years, it's not because the product was bad, but the actual vintage magazine print is seeping its own acid into the acid-free archival mount.

There is a process that can de-acidify printed paper, but I believe it's quite expensive.

K

killertomata

I think I will end up taking care of it myself, with the advice here and just cut the masking tape at the edge of the page so as to not actually cut the print itself. It also might be brittle enough to come off without damaging the edge further.

Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it!

K

killertomata

Well Kinko's won't scan an item with a copyright, even if it's 65 years old- they said since it was an Esquire print they can't scan it. So I'm going to do my best to take very clear, good pics of the chart and post those in the appropriate thread. I have a new camera battery on the way.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
my guy does museum quality framing and uses uv glass or plex to keep out the sun and light, this will help preserve the piece (although it can be expensive) And definitely look for acid free paper and backing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points