Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eureka?

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Anyone watching this one?

It is a Sci-Fi Channel series that takes place in a high tech community of the same name, located in the U.S. State of Oregon and inhabited entirely by brilliant scientists working on new scientific advancements. The town is operated by a corporation called Global Dynamics, that is overseen by the United States Department of Defense. The town's existence and location are closely guarded secrets.

Anyway, the first episode of season four, was called "Founders Day." It has five of the main characters traveling back in time to 1947. The year the town was founded. Back when the town was "Camp Eureka."

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
It's kinda fun. Mayberry meets the Outer Limits. I came into it, about half-way through Season 2. I bought the DVD to catch up.

The flash back to 1947 was a nice twist.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive watched the show since the beginning. Amazingly well written campy fun. You can totally tell the actors are having fun. Fargo was a great addition to the regular cast mid season 2.

Also in this season opener, there's a lot that harkens back to the first episode, one part that sticks out to me is when Carter hears Kevin say "Day's not over yet." They have a similar interaction in S1 EP1.

The show lost its way mid season 2 and pretty much all of season 3, but the creator of the show actually wrote this episode, getting things back on track seemingly.

The show switched timelines at the end of season 1 and never really gave decent explanations for it. I hope this time it pans out.

LD

Lucky Garnett

New in Town
Eureka is definitely fun! Fargo's become my favorite character. I'm not so sure about James Callis though. I thought he played his role in "Founder's Day" with a graceless heavy hand.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
The show lost its way mid season 2 and pretty much all of season 3, but the creator of the show actually wrote this episode, getting things back on track seemingly.

LD

My feeling exactly!

I thought in Founders Day it was funny how Henry had to make the point about nobody looking at a black mechanic, but Alison just cruised in as a nurse without a comment.

I loved James Callis in Bridget Jones, and in Battlestar Galactica, but I thought the 40s slang sounded really forced from him in Eureka.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Puzzicato said:
I thought in Founders Day it was funny how Henry had to make the point about nobody looking at a black mechanic, but Alison just cruised in as a nurse without a comment.

I actually liked how they explained that, him saying Eureka was always 'progressive' was quite good. There were black nurses to work on the black soldiers, and Alison is essentially a colorless role. She is just the beautiful lead woman whom everyone wants. Thats quite refreshing.

I did think the 40s Dr. was fun, but a bit flamboyant at times, the eye rolling and such.

I watched the latest episode, and Im so glad they brought back the robot sherif. I thought he was delightful in other episodes! They seem to have placed specific characters in jobs the benefit their skills, Lupo as head of GD security, Dr. Blake head Dr. instead of running GD. I never liked her in that job. I am worried that the show is going to fall back into its rut. Its fun, but they do very little to maintain emotional context with characters throughout the episodes. It just seems to come in waves.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I happened on to Founder's Day the other night and enjoyed it. Do I need to get caught up or can I just watch on?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, you *could* but I dont think you will miss much back story watching on, other than Ferguson's delightful deliveries. He makes me cry laughing in nearly every episode.

LD

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
This is the first season I've watched and both my wife and I really enjoy it. I loved the Founder's Day episode, and seeing the 1947 era glimpse was very cool. I also like the Dr. Grant character, I'm really digging his style, his hat and his hair style. I had been thinking about growing my hair out, and I'm thinking about adopting his hair style. Don't know if it would work for me though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana