Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever hear of Aeronautica: English Classics Ltd.?

SpykiE

New in Town
Hey guys,
I just had a very curious question... A few months back, while scouring the pages of Ebay looking for an Irvin flight jacket, I stumbled upon one that was my size (38), really beautiful and almost to spec aside from the fact that it had two hand-warmer pockets. Needless to say, I purchased it from the fellow (who was located in the UK, for only 150£... I would've payed well over 600 US dollars for this jacket) and received it about a little over a month later, but anyways... The jacket was made by a company called "Aeronautica: English Classics Ltd." I did endless searching and haven't found anything (not even some remnants) about this company or that it even existed. So I was wondering if anyone ever heard of it at all? Thanks!

-=SpykiE=-

Oh btw, I also ended up purchasing another Irvin just a month or so ago on ebay, only this time it was an Aero Battle of Britain Irvin... absolutely GORGEOUS!! The guy didn't sell it through ebay b/c nobody met his asking price, but then I emailed him right after I saw it asking about it and ended up purchasing it for only $300 US dollars... couldn't believe it! The jacket is in nearly perfect condition and not even broken in. Here is a pic of the jacket:
cd_12_sb.JPG

pfaulkner

New in Town
English Classic Flying Jacket

Hi,
These jackets were made a one man business based in on the corner of Mill Street and Church Street in the village of Gamlingay,Hertfordshire, UK. he appears to have ceased manufacture around the year 2000. I visted the guy in about 1998 and had two jackets made to measure for my wife and I. He was using identical templates to the original Irvine WW2 jacket and the manufacture and materials were of very high quality. The chap was actually living and working in converted small brewery but sadly there was no beer left to sample on our visit. I hope this is of interest.
Peter:

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Irvins

Irvins...a small passion of mine. Although in my defence, after a ruthless clear-out of unworthy reproductions I only own 4 (I think) at the moment.

A BoB Aero Irvin is good business indeed for 300. But you can get a good original for about that in the UK.

I remember Aeronautica. Well made jackets without being out and out accurate reproductions. I'm not surprised the guy didn't stay in business long. I have repaired a few Irvins - some of the details are fiendishly difficult to make compared to, say, a B3. A pity - I like the idea of a cottage industry making jackets.

Alan

nightandthecity

Practically Family
a shared passion Alan. And I too am now down to four!

I used to buy and sell Irvins regularly and did a lot of repair work, but nowadays unless the repair is very simple I just don't have the time.

At one time I owned the finest Irvin in captivity. An early thirties first issue...Irvin factory label, 1932 dated....large (42")...MINT(not as in ebay mint but as "it looked like an eastman out of the packet" mint: the fur hadn't even started to curl and the blacking still on the zips)..and I had the full history, neatly handwritten by the guy's son, plus a book in which he appeared several times!

I must have been mad to sell it, but I desperately needed the money for a 549th BS A2 to complete my 385thBG patch collection. It seemd a good idea at the time, like a lot of stupid things....

whizzywhizzer

New in Town
hey there,
a few years ago I put my english classic RAF jacket up for sale on eBay, I love the jacket but it was my fathers & the arms were to short
for me.............. anyway, the old owner/maker of english classics contacted me as one of his friends had seen the jacket on eBay and
told him about it. he said the jacket was an old one from the 80's........... I asked him if he could lengthen the arms for me & he said the
english classics had closed down as he was retired now and couldn't help me............. but I see he has posted on this page that he is back in action now, bugger cause I ended up getting my jacket sleeves lengthened by flightjackets.com in the US & would have preferred the original maker to do the alterations.
..........cheers, John

Last edited:

James Wellbelove

New in Town
HELLO!!

Other than a few completed listings on ebay this Forum was the only place on the internet which seems to have information about AERONAUTICA: English Classics Ltd. (01769 651238)

This forum may be 10 years old but I was still hoping somone could help me!
Ok so I gather that this company was a one man business based in the village of Gamlingay, Hertfordshire, UK.
But I need to know as much as possible about this item..

I have a Flying hat which was made by the same company
But I am struggling to put a price on this item as I know nothing about it!

If anyone is intrested in buying this item or has any information they would like to share please contact me @ JamesWellbeloveEnquiries@gmail.com

Attachments

• 1423.jpg
    1423.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 434
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 465

Suzie Davies

New in Town
hey there,
a few years ago I put my english classic RAF jacket up for sale on eBay, I love the jacket but it was my fathers & the arms were to short
for me.............. anyway, the old owner/maker of english classics contacted me as one of his friends had seen the jacket on eBay and
told him about it. he said the jacket was an old one from the 80's........... I asked him if he could lengthen the arms for me & he said the
english classics had closed down as he was retired now and couldn't help me............. but I see he has posted on this page that he is back in action now, bugger cause I ended up getting my jacket sleeves lengthened by flightjackets.com in the US & would have preferred the original maker to do the alterations.
..........cheers, John[/QUOTE
hey there,
..........cheers, John
Hi

I am selling an authentic Aeronautica: English Classics Ltd jacket. It’s a size 38 and always been much too large for me - hence only worn twice!!
The jacket has been stored in a dry place and looked after well - therefore in an excellent condition. Any sensible offers would be considered.

Many thanks
Suzie

Suzie Davies

New in Town
Hi
I am selling an authentic Aeronautica: English Classics Ltd leather jacket.
I have only worn this lovely jacket twice as far too big for me, being a size 38. The jacket has been stored in a dry place and looked after well. Therefore in excellent condition.
Any sensible offers would be considered and happy to post photos of jacket.
Thanks
Suzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch