Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Hairstyle

rue

In movies it seems like women change their hair all the time, but in real life I don't think they did judging by the pictures of my grandmother and other everyday women.

I wear my hair like this everyday unless it's in a ponytail or it's a special occasion:

Short
IMG_1448.jpg

or long

018.jpg

still the same.

So, my question is... do you girls change your hairstyle everyday, once in a while or are you like me and rarely change it? And if you're like me, what is your everyday look?

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Spending ten years in the Army, I kept my hair long (unless I was deployed then I cut it short) and it was up in a bun or braid of some sort to accomodate my head gear. After that much time of pretty much the same hairstyle day in and day out, I like the freedom and the casual atmosphere of my civilian job where I can do what I'd like to my hair. I've only had my "true" middy for a few months now so I think I'm still in the stage where I'm feeling out it's length and really enjoying the different vintage styles I can achieve with it that I've only been able to admire in pictures. But when it comes down to it, my style depends on my mood and my schedule. There are some nights I am just not able to put my hair up in curls so I go more modern the next day or slick it back into some pinned braids for a more 1920s or 30s look. Other days I might not feel like dealing with all the curls after brushing them out so I put them back in some simple adorned combs. My thoughts are similar to yours: when you look at photos of "everyday" women, you can tell that their hair usually wasn't elaborate...that was Hollywood, but I do admit it does feel absolutely glamorous if I can manage to pull off a different look every day of the work week. ;)

rue

Thank you for your service Jane :D

Thank you also for answering. I'm glad you think the same way I do about the average woman back then. I really just think they were too busy to do elaborate styles, but it does make you feel glamorous when you can, as I'm sure it was the same way for them when they could :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Different all the time. I get bored too quickly.

376083_10150396870814164_624014163_8414998_907498923_n.jpg

Hot sticks "pinup" hair.

305771_10150292878414164_624014163_7849657_112090_n.jpg

Bangs, flipped, ginormus flower.

390918_10150366409859164_624014163_8274921_1345498465_n.jpg

Straight bob-and-bangs.

282595_10150266700319164_624014163_7601409_5594973_n.jpg

SOmetimes I like a fingerwave.

316876_10150321740404164_624014163_8031413_1560914658_n.jpg

Sometimes pigtails - excuse the pic, the only example I had lol

30500_399862624163_624014163_4247986_616808_n.jpg

And a center part.

I always put some kind of a clip in my hair, no matter what. I have flowers, bugs, nets, fruit....you name it! A different one every day!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I like to change mine up. I set it the same everyday but then I just kinda mess with it till I am happy. It's finally long enough for me to put it up which I am loving :D Rue, your look gorgeous as always!

I guess if I had to choose this would be my everyday look. It's kind of my go to since it's the easiest.
IMG-20111119-00303.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Rue - Your hair is fabulous - short or long!

Amy Jeanne - I love your two tone hair - fair play to you for taking the time to change it so often - I like the fingerwave in particular....

SheBear74 - Loving your fringe/bangs - was toying with the idea of doing something similar soon but have a feeling I would be sticking a kirby grip in it the second I left the salon! Love the idea of a fringe though....

I don't do anything with my hair each day bar putting what I call a "bend" at the end of it with a straighteners or tongs - my hair is so straight and soft it takes literally an age to do anything with it - I just don't have the time. I got L'Oreal Balayage done a few months ago so now there are loads of different browns and golds running through it which makes all the difference - going to get a few more colours put in next week so looking forward to that.

I really admire all the ladies here who put so much time and effort into their hair!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I wear my hair in two styles (I've used these photos before, but I don't feel like taking another one):

Down,

Profile3001edit.jpg

And up.

Theatre011.jpg

If I get bored, I put clips or bows into it. I used to fuss with different styles every day, but its so much easier just to wear it one way. It's one less thing to think about, and there is no worry about good or bad hair days :)

Last edited:

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Ladies you all have great daily looks. C-Dot, I love the up do. My daily look is pretty much the same every day, I curl the ends and depending on how the front looks and how crazy the cowlick is, I leave it down or put it up in a pomp kinda thing. Flowers and cute clips help ease the boredom of the every day.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've also got two variations, which have been my standards for more years than I can remember -- down, as shown in my avatar, and up in pincurls, covered with a headscarf. I usually wear the latter when I'm working in the projection booth -- long hair and fast-moving machinery don't mix.

I'm a piker, though, when it comes to hairstyle stubbornness compared to my grandmother. She wore her hair the same way from the late thirties until she died in 1981. "Find what you like and stick to it," she said.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
CDot I love that picture of your hair up. As for me I change mine up, I mean I have a few go to styles but I wear it in a different style every day.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Having naturally curly hair is no easy style, I find mine looks more 80s than i'd like. I'm thinking about getting a brazilian blowout just to tame the mane.. Other than my bangs, I don't really have a say in what my hair chooses to do or how it turns out. :rolleyes:

rue

Rue - Your hair is fabulous - short or long!

Thank you Miss G :)

I wear my hair in two styles (I've used these photos before, but I don't feel like taking another one):
And up.

Theatre011.jpg

If I get bored, I put clips or bows into it. I used to fuss with different styles every day, but its so much easier just to wear it one way. It's one less thing to think about, and there is no worry about good or bad hair days :)

I don't remember seeing that picture C! I love your hair up!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
my hair is so straight and soft it takes literally an age to do anything with it - I just don't have the time.

Have you tried hot sticks? My hair is straight, thin, and so silky it slides right out of my fingers. Hot sticks take about 5 minutes to put in in the morning, I do my makeup, and then they take 5 minutes to take out. I didn't think my hair would take to them because of my "problems", but I run some gel through it, spray it just a touch, and then when I'm rolling my hair I make sure my fingers are tacky with gel so the hair won't slide around. The first time I used hot sticks it was a disaster, but within a week I was pretty good at it. The first picture in my OP was done with hot sticks.

But then again, if you just can't be bothered to do your hair every day then that is ok, too ;) I'm like that every now and again.

And THANKS everyone! You all look fab, too! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd love to see a picture of her hair Lizzie :)

nanpat42C.jpg

That's her -- she always had a kind of a raggedy perm, always that same length, always pinned back at the sides. If she'd ever shown up with something different people would have collapsed in the street with amazement. She also never dyed her hair -- it stayed that same dark brown, without a lick of grey, till the day she died. I should be so lucky.

That's my mother with her, modeling a hairstyle very much similar to the one I wore as a kid. Long, straight, and limp.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok, so I have two.

The braided bun has the advantage of taking me under 6 minutes:

And the symmetrical rolls, which I do just about every two weeks because it takes me 20 minutes to do. When I camp, I roll my hair everyday. (I mention camping only because this picture was taking while camping):

When my hair was longer I used to do a single braid looped around my head and a french twist with the last 10 inches braided and pinned next to the twist. I know I have pictures of that someplace, but I can't find them.

rue

nanpat42C.jpg

That's her -- she always had a kind of a raggedy perm, always that same length, always pinned back at the sides. If she'd ever shown up with something different people would have collapsed in the street with amazement. She also never dyed her hair -- it stayed that same dark brown, without a lick of grey, till the day she died. I should be so lucky.

That's my mother with her, modeling a hairstyle very much similar to the one I wore as a kid. Long, straight, and limp.

I actually really like her hair! Lucky woman that it stayed dark her whole life... I wish I was that lucky myself :)

Your mother was adorable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff