Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
There's a great group on Flickr called "I See Dead People" and it's ALL of these photo ceramics if you're into this kind of thing.
Please post the link, I couldn't find it!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It's not unusual to walk in a graveyard in the USA and see these. They are especially common in Jewish cemeteries. More:

1989456889_50cf92b0f6.jpg

Both died in a plane crash in the 40s.

2393915517_11117fc5b6.jpg

2538340351_e7af202d35.jpg

2494077384_755c3d7f2e.jpg

3265990912_46abf636c6.jpg

3366242927_b1032f6f6c.jpg

I See Dead People

CherryBubbles

New in Town
What a terrific thread! I've managed to spend way too much time this morning looking at all these wonderful photos. lol Thank you all for sharing them!

I've got more "everyday people" pics, but not enough time to post more than one at the moment. Here's my maternal grandmother (front center) in the late 1930s with her two sisters (back row white blouse and back row striped blouse on right). The other girls are her cousins... and the skinny little dog is apparently Skippy. Back of the photo reads "Grand Girls and Skippy." They do look like grand girls, don't you think? ;)

GrandmaJane001.jpg

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Amy Jeanne - Those gravestone portraits are fascinating. I've never seen any in the cemeteries I've visited. They really bring the name on the stone to life, er, well, you know what I mean. Btw, I love the photo of the woman with the little banjo and the poofy bob!

Cherry Lips - Yes! I'm with you on those portraits bringing Laura Palmer's homecoming queen photo to mind!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
It's not unusual to walk in a graveyard in the USA and see these. They are especially common in Jewish cemeteries. More:

Its a generally accepted thing in Eastern European countries to have a picture...either carved into the stone (older) or placed under glass....on tombstones.

That is part of why over here it is more common in Jewish Cemeteries or ones used by Eastern Europeans, even generations removed from being immigrants.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm fascinated by those -- they aren't common here, probably because they wouldn't stand up well under the long winters, but I have seen a few on recent graves. Apparently the idea of illustrated gravestones is coming back into style.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'm fascinated by those -- they aren't common here, probably because they wouldn't stand up well under the long winters, but I have seen a few on recent graves. Apparently the idea of illustrated gravestones is coming back into style.

They fascinate me too...

My family, being the equivalent of Slavic Quakers....don't have these....and I am always in awe when I get to go see places that do have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto