Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excelled A-2 Jacket

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here are a few photos of my Excelled A-2. I hand carried this jacket from Texas to The Netherlands (and back) so that artist Anneke Helleman could paint my wife onto the back side. She did a very nice job! And, a shout out to a few other artists...Sean Collins (P-51 patch), and Miroslav Sekulich (sleeve patches) for their fine work. The A-2 was purchased as a "patch" jacket, and at $210 it was a bargain.

P1020732.JPG
P1020731.JPG
P1020730.JPG
P1020729.JPG

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Measurements:

Shoulder = 19.5"
P to P = 22.5"
Sleeve = 26"
Back = 26"

These do run large. This A-2 is a size 38R. I probably could easily wear a size 36. I can normally wear a 40R, or maybe a 42. Size "M" shirts fit well, but a size "L" can be worn also. It depends on the cut of the cloth.

The Excelled is as well made as any of my leather jackets, equaling the overall quality of my Gibson & Barnes (also cowhide). Heavy cowhide, this would make a great biker jacket.

It has many features not normally included on other A-2's, such as dual inside pockets, dual pen/pencil pockets, dual entry front pockets (side/top).

No, it is not the absolute "end all" in A-2's. But for what it is, it's a very nice jacket that is great for everyday wear. And being very heavy, it is perhaps the warmest of my A-2's.

Anneke did such a nice job...and my wife had no idea I was doing this. Her name is Toye, and I have named my Mustang after her. The first thing she said after seeing the jacket..."Is that me?".

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This jacket will be worn at air show events (if it's not too hot), plus when flying the Mustang at high altitudes, above 10,000 feet. No...I won't be wearing this to the local supermarket!

This jacket was done to emulate the 8th Army Air Force, in the European Theatre, 1942-1945. But with just a little bit of a modern flavor.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Fabulous job there! I have an issue one with the velcro patches on. Also in 38. Great fit 40 would be too large. Yet I wear a 40 in theDcsp G1. I gather the very latest batch of G1s run a size up in the Dla labels. I love the quality of both A2 and the G1 considering they are an issue item.
You have a lovely piece of aviation history on there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So Excelled Leather's A2's are made in Kewanee, IL. Little place on the west side of town. Address is:
1700 N Burlington Ave, Kewanee, IL 61443
leathercoatsetc.com

Been there a few times, used to live ~45 miles away, not now. Those A2's and some of the M/C jackets are still made in house along with gloves, hats. They have a store on site, many brand names carried, all Mall quality.

Nice work with the A2! Thanks for your service...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
So Excelled Leather's A2's are made in Kewanee, IL. Little place on the west side of town. Address is:
1700 N Burlington Ave, Kewanee, IL 61443
leathercoatsetc.com

Been there a few times, used to live ~45 miles away, not now. Those A2's and some of the M/C jackets are still made in house along with gloves, hats. They have a store on site, many brand names carried, all Mall quality.

Nice work with the A2! Thanks for your service...

Ha! My only "service" is transporting people at a high rate of speed across oceans to Europe and the Far East.

Excelled being made in Illinois was made known when this A-2 was purchased from www.leathercoatsetc.com
They might also manufacture the Legendary Hellcat G-1, as Legendary said the jacket was made in IL.

Again, in terms of overall fit, this jacket does not represent what some of the high end brands offer. My Reissue Cockpit A-2 is as close to a classic WWII fit as I can get. That is, without spending big $$$. But this jacket will fill the bill for what is needed. Warmth, comfort, protection. And, most of all it will look good when worn in combination with the Mustang.

As has been stated, this A-2 is perhaps the best "bang for the buck" going. Making this a perfect entry level leather jacket. I have a couple mall type jackets (Wilson, etc.), and this completely blows them out of the water. The quality of manufacture, the quality of the leather (heavy cowhide), the extra features, etc., is all high end in my book.

It actually is a tribute to my wife. A great lady who is far better than I deserve.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

Deacon211

One Too Many
That turned out damn nice Tex. Actually, I think it is one of your better fitting jackets if you don't mind my saying.

I thought your P-51 was to be a Pacific squadron? Anyway, congrats on a well completed project from soup to nuts as they used to say in 1944.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
That turned out damn nice Tex. Actually, I think it is one of your better fitting jackets if you don't mind my saying.

I thought your P-51 was to be a Pacific squadron? Anyway, congrats on a well completed project from soup to nuts as they used to say in 1944.

Deacon - Thanks! Yes, Pacific Squadron. 3rd FG, 3rd FS, 5th Air Force. Based in Mindoro, P.I., 1944-1945.

IXL

One Too Many
If I could do it over, a size 36R would have been ordered. ................................

Me too. Based on your statements I went ahead and ordered a 38 (I wear a 40) and I'm glad I didn't order a 40. While the 38 works well and looks great, I feel a 36 would have fit, too. For those of you considering ordering one of these jackets, you might consider going down up to two sizes if a trim fit is desired.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thats a real nice jacket and at an everyday wearer price too. Nice to have something priced like this for a change and with more than a few positive comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ