Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise and vintage style

LadyL

New in Town
Hi everyone!

I recently signed up for personal training. This is a good thing and will hopefully help some of my snugger vintage fit more loosely soon :). However, I am trying to figure out how the heck to maintain my vintage hair and makeup when I am working out strenuously 5-6 days a week, and I need your tips.

First of all, thankfully I am not a very sweaty person. After a low to medium intensity workout I can get away with toweling off and then changing right back into regular clothes with only minor makeup touch ups. But my training plan involves high intensity exercise at least 4 times a week, where I will definitely be sweating off some makeup and will need to have my hair pulled up/back.

Any tips for preserving a set of curls through a heavy workout? I was thinking of maybe getting a loose sweat band to push the hair away from my face, and of course styles like pompadours or rolls in the front that pull the hair back as well (my hair is not that long in the back). I can do ponytails, but they're so dull! Plus they squash/deform my curls.

As for makeup, I am using an eyeshadow base under my longest lasting liquid and gel eyeliners and that seems to work reasonably well. I am trying a brow gel to hopefully preserve some of my brow powder. I use good quality blushes (nars) that seem to survive workouts pretty well.

Anyone else have other suggestions? I feel like my vanity is competing with itself - I want to be fit and smaller but in the meantime I still want to be glamorous!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
My suggestion is to put your health and fitness above your looks if need be (for the time being). If you need to wear ponytails, so be it. Chances are your vintage styles and curls will not hold up through a strenuous workout, unless you're doing weight training, elliptical, rowing machine or stationary bike. Anything involving jumping/running or plyometrics is going to cause problems, as is the sweat of an intense workout. You may be able to try putting on a hair net and wrapping your hair in a scarf though, like many gals do when they sleep. This may allow you to keep your style with fewer necessary touchups.

As for your makeup, I cannot recommend enough that you do not workout with makeup on!!! When you work out and you're sweating, your pores open up and as you rub your sweat off, your makeup will either be coming off with it or be rubbed straight into your pores. Working out with makeup on is just about as bad of an idea as sleeping with makeup on. Maybe you should find a lighter makeup look that doesn't take much time to use on the days you're working out and do a complete re-apply after your workout.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
What time of day will you be working out?

I have no advice on the hair front, but completely second what Kitty T. says about working out while wearing make-up. Even if you normally have great skin, that's the fast track to break-out city.

You may find that you need less blush when you're working out regularly... the boost in circulation may give you a new glow. :) I'm a huge fan of products that do more than one thing, like a tinted moisturizer that stands in for my usual foundation. Can you find a simplified look that allows you to still look/feel like yourself with less effort? Focus on lips on gym days with less attention to eyes, which can be more time-consuming? Or skip shadow and just do dramatic liner and mascara?

Good luck finding the balance that makes you feel most beautiful.

LadyL

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

KittyT, the hairnet is a great idea that I didn't think of. Today I just wrapped the front of my hair in a scarf headband, and brushed it out gently after the workout, and my curls are still bouncy and nicely shaped. I think a hairnet will add a little extra stability.

Adcurium - hello neighbor! Do you ever attend any vintage events in Providence? There's a neat little scene growing up here, and some of those people have done fun events in Newport as well.

Miserabelle - love the idea but I don't have quite enough hair! It is barely touching my shoulders and is only just long enough for a simple pony. But I do have a ponytail hairpiece I could style this way and pop on top of my actual pony to dress it up a bit, hmm....probably not for the gym but maybe for if I am going out afterward :).

And as for wearing makeup...sigh. I didn't realize this was so bad. I have been working out for about 3 years and always have makeup on. I do a lot of exfoliating, steamed extractions, and oil cleansing to keep my pores clean.
I do wear very light makeup on my skin, just powder and a little concealer. Honestly I would rather do the extra work to keep my skin clear than give up wearing makeup for workouts, because I work out multiple times a day sometimes and can't deal with having a totally naked face that often. I guess I will add it to the list of bad habits I really should give up :). I figure I've already quit smoking, excessive drinking, and overeating and those are probably more important to my health than a few clogged pores ;).

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Lady:

Unfortunately, I don't attend any events. But that isn't b/c I don't WANT to. And now that sailing season is here, I'm even more unlikely to make any events. Although, a few of my friends are quite involved in the scene.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Which is probably really unnecessary...

I won't claim to know whether working out multiple times a day for multiple days every week is unnecessary(especially since I've been known to do that myself :p ), but it sure doesn't help if one is trying to look like she's not working out while doing all that working out.

LadyL: what exactly are you doing that precludes you from being able to separate out looking vintage and fresh as a daisy while working out "strenuously"?

I myself work out a lot, and have realized that if I want to have a vintage hairstyle or look, it just doesn't go with the bicycle riding, running, plyometrics, and roller derby skating that I do almost every day. I have to make a point of planning ahead to do hair or whatnot for something so that I get the exercise in but plan time to shower and set my hair. You may be one of the few that isn't a "sweaty Betty" when it comes to exercise, and if so, I'm slightly jealous!

RD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Which is probably really unnecessary...

Why? I work out multiple times a day its the only way I can fit it all in.

I do mascara, lipbalm, and eyeshadow to work out. I think if I know my brows look good, and have just a bit of pop at the eye I can tell myself its nearly '40s natural-girl-next-door then I just put on a red lip afterward. And cute work out clothes help.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Red Diabla said:
I myself work out a lot, and have realized that if I want to have a vintage hairstyle or look, it just doesn't go with the bicycle riding, running, plyometrics, and roller derby skating that I do almost every day. I have to make a point of planning ahead to do hair or whatnot for something so that I get the exercise in but plan time to shower and set my hair.

Totally. I've just accepted that I don't always have to look perfect and vintage all the time, and that sometimes my other plans just make it impossible :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LadyL said:
And as for wearing makeup...sigh. I didn't realize this was so bad. I have been working out for about 3 years and always have makeup on. I do a lot of exfoliating, steamed extractions, and oil cleansing to keep my pores clean.
I do wear very light makeup on my skin, just powder and a little concealer. Honestly I would rather do the extra work to keep my skin clear than give up wearing makeup for workouts, because I work out multiple times a day sometimes and can't deal with having a totally naked face that often. I guess I will add it to the list of bad habits I really should give up :). I figure I've already quit smoking, excessive drinking, and overeating and those are probably more important to my health than a few clogged pores ;).

On me powder turns to mud when I do strenuous exercise, and I need to wash my face and reapply later anyway. Plus the way it runs means that my light, natural "oh I always look like this" face doesn't really look very nice. So i'd rather put my makeup on afterwards!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't even bother with vintage styling when I work out strenuously. I'd feel like a clown if I did.

I leave the vintage styling to the RESULTS of my working out -- not the act itself.

Like KittyT said -- I'm past feeling like I have to look vintage 24/7.

I do work out multiple times a day, too -- all different levels of strenuousness. That includes a walk during lunch break where I *will* be done up. But when I work out hardcore at home -- hair and makeup aren't even an issue.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I'm insanely jealous of anyone who doesn't sweat a lot during a workout!

When I'm done working out - which is normally 30-40 minutes of brisk walking/jogging on the treadmill - I look like someone dumped a bucket of water over my head. Showering and washing hair afterwards is a necessity, which is why I try and workout in the morning before work so that I only have to shower once a day. Of course, that also means getting up at 5:30 am. :eusa_doh:

I've always wondered what ladies did back in the day when it came to heavy sweating during laborious activities. Or even just in the sweltering summer months when it doesn't take much to break a sweat. Did they just wash their hair more often then the standard once a week thing? Or am I just an anomoly in that the first place where I sweat is my face and scalp?

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
LadyL said:
Miserabelle - love the idea but I don't have quite enough hair! It is barely touching my shoulders and is only just long enough for a simple pony. But I do have a ponytail hairpiece I could style this way and pop on top of my actual pony to dress it up a bit, hmm....probably not for the gym but maybe for if I am going out afterward :).

Ah, that could be a problem :) mine's quite short too, I usually just pin the sides of my hair that'll likely be in my face up towards the back of a head, like a faux ponytail, and curl the back of it, I curl my fringe too to keep it out of my face and hairspray like mad :) xx

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Hi Lady L, congratulations on your healthy changes! I just want to pipe in that if you've signed up with a personal trainer, my suggestion is to forgo the fuss of what make-up to wear or how to keep the curls curly, and concentrate on the workouts your trainer puts you through. Your trainer wants you to succeed - they give you 100% of their time and knowledge to get you into shape and your success or failure can reflect on them - positively or negatively. Give them the courtesy of all your attention, and then when you exercise on your own, you can "cute" it up more. :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Gingerella72 said:
I've always wondered what ladies did back in the day when it came to heavy sweating during laborious activities. Or even just in the sweltering summer months when it doesn't take much to break a sweat. Did they just wash their hair more often then the standard once a week thing? Or am I just an anomoly in that the first place where I sweat is my face and scalp?

"Maycomb was a tired old town, even in 1932 when I first knew it. Somehow, it was hotter then. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon after their three o'clock naps. And by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting from sweating and sweet talcum." - To Kill A Mockingbird - looks like they bathed twice a day and sweated anyway!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
4670632430_350614bc06_b.jpg

LadyL

New in Town
Red Diabla said:
LadyL: what exactly are you doing that precludes you from being able to separate out looking vintage and fresh as a daisy while working out "strenuously"?

In order to fit my workout routine into my schedule I have to do at least a few sessions a week at lunch and then go back to work after. I also have to go out to promote the vintage event I help run, so tonight for instance I have a trainer appointment after work and then a party 2 hours later and don't have time to make dinner AND shower AND reset my hair and redo my makeup. My life is very on the go, and my appearance is important both for my self confidence and also is a promotional tool for our event. But I care about my health too. I want it all, what can I say :).

And BTW, I don't worry about how I look when I'm working out - I wear whatever tshirt is clean and old ratty gym shorts - it's just before and after when I want to look presentable. And my workout plan *is* aggressive but the main reason I need to work out 2x/day sometimes is that I work 2 jobs and promote events as a hobby so it's the only way to fit things in. Being in really good physical shape is important to me and that means a serious time investment.

I'm a week into training and so far, tying my hair back loosely with a thick scarf headband seems to keep it off my face without mashing my curls too much. I am not setting my hair as often and am doing simpler ponytail styles when I can. I am also going light on the makeup. So far I am still able to look and feel fresh to a level I am satisfied with. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points