Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience at Paul Stuart

dopey

One of the Regulars
I also posted this in my "Fur Felt Advice Needed" thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3204

Yesterday, I went to Paul Stuart to see what sort of felt hats they had on offer. It was both exciting and discouraging. They have two basic models of hats - one made in England and one made in Italy. They are fairly similar, with the Italian one having slightly more taper. They were similarly priced at about $275. Here is the exciting part. The English one had exactly the same markings as my favorite hat, bought new in 1986 at Simpsons of Piccadilly (house label). The Paul Stuart hat, also a house label, was stamped in gold on the inside front of the sweatband: MADE IN ENGLAND/ 100% Fine Fur Felt / Hand Made (with the bottom two lines in a slightly larger italic font). The location, layout and fonts were identical (I had my SImpsons hat with me at the time). So I had found my felt hat at last. Now the disappointing part. The hats were not that good. The felt quality was poor (and I am not an expert like you) and the hats were unlined. It was like seeing an old friend who had gotten drunk, fat, lazy and stupid since last you met. The Italian hat was no better. So I am back to my original search.

BTW, if anyone knows who the English supplier is that made my hat and Paul Stuart's current offering, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps a higher quality version can be had from somewhere.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Sorry guy, but the truth is you are beating a dead horse trying to get it to run. Modern off the shelf hat makers have sold out to the quick and cheap. A custom or vintage is the only way to get a quality lid these days.

fedoralover

dopey

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Check out Ebay now and again for vintage hats as they are still the best around for the lowest price.

I have a few coming via e-bay in the hope that I will see what the fuss is about. When I get them, I will post what I think. Of course, I will need help knowing where the hats I got fit in the food chain during their own era.

Dylanfan

New in Town
Hat markings

Hi:
I have two British hats which have the same exact sweatband markings. Both are nicley lined, raw edge, and finished well, good leather. One is a Black Trilby, made for Burberry under the Christy's of London name. The felt is stiff, relatively lightweight, but not great felt. The other is a dark chocolate center dent, no pinches, made for Barney's NY. The felt is actually pretty good, much, much, better than a modern Borsalino and a decent off the shelf lid. I got them on e-bay seperately for around $25 each. I also wonder who the maker is, I don't know if Christy's actually makes their hats. That said, neither are of the quality of my vintage stock, unfortunately I have no custom made experience to relate. The closest I've found is a Cervo. I am hoping for the day I will get an Optimo!
Cheers,
Jeff

Flick

Practically Family
This is a real tragedy. If I don’t buy hats at Paul Stuart, who will? At some point, they will simply stop carrying them Once their are fewer outlets, hats will really be relegated to costumewear and fanboys. At some point, the felt suppliers will also start to disappear or cut their lines. I don’t know enough to know whether or not this has already happened. That does not mean I will spend $275 for a bad hat to keep Paul Stuart stocking them. It is an observation tinged with sadness.

I agree. But at the same time, lets face it...times have changed. Most men do not wear hats (at least the vintage look we all love) anymore. Business must change with the times to survive. Men do not buy such hats in any quantity anymore, except such as us, who love the vintage look. Consequently there are no more great hat stores with a huge variety on every major street. Sure that part is a shame, but only to the few of us who notice this. Lots of old vintage hats are still available, made of great fur felt (I love ebay), and great style, and there are a few promising new hatters out there as well as a few of the grizzled old timers who have persisted...mainly by adapting and selling/refurbishing on the internet (support them).

Will it change. We all hope so. Fashion trends do cycle. and recycle, and as long as we persist, and continue to show the great unwashed majority the error of their un-stylistic ways...I believe they will change.

Now please turn to page 2005 to Psalm 444, and all sing " will our fedoras be unbroken"

Amen Brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk