Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eye Cream

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Hi Ladies,

Hopefully this is not too off topic. I am wondering what eye creams any of you ladies use for fine lines/wrinkles and or undereye darkness. I have been using a clear gel by Olay, but don't feel that it is working as well as it used to.

Thanks!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Retin A Cream" is the only documented case of a cream that kills lines, it was originally prescribed for Acne, but people using it reported that their wrinkles diminished!!!!!, I have used it on and off for the last 20 years, most folk think I am 10 years younger so I think it works, also I have never smoked?, It is by Doctors prescription only here in Australia"

cupcake

Familiar Face
When I was testing concealers at bobbi brown the makeup artist told me I was quite dehydrated in the eye area. She reccomended just getting an cheapie cream. I ended up getting the cream by yes to carrots and I've already noticed the difference! My undereye circles have already started to go away and I've definitely noticed it being more hydrated. You should give it a try! It's cheap and chips and comes in a huge tub.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I use Olay eye cream but I can't recall the name. (It might be the one that goes with the 7 essentials line.) I threw the empty jar out yesterday and figured I'll know it when I see it on the shelf. If it helps, it's more of a light pink cream in a little jar. Olay has such an expansive line these days. If you liked their gel but feel it's less effective, maybe just kick it up with something more emoliant from one of their other formulas.

My eye area is super sensitive so I end up irritated by some of the hightech burn-those-lines-off type creams. Something gentle and moisturizing works best for me.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I love jojoba - use it too. I also use olay eye cream and loreal revitalift eye. I usually change what I'm using every few weeks, products seem to work better for me that way. I use the jojoba oil when the weather is very dry or I've been outdoors for extended time.
I once read an interview w/ Sophia Loren where she said she doesn't use moisturizing products on a regular basis, "it makes the skin lazy."

Inky

One Too Many
I don't think an eye cream has to be fancy or expensive. Jojoba oil is a great idea. I've used nivea and also just whatever moisturizer I have on hand. the key is to use it! I also find it makes a big difference in the application of my concealer if I am sure to use an eye cream at least 30 minutes or so before applying my makeup.

Right now I'm using a line called Striking Skin Care and for my mature skin I love it - I've shown a noticeable improvement over the last six weeks.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Burts Bees line has a nice cream in their "Anti Aging" line, but I didn't like their other one at all (waxy and greasy).
Lately I have been using the CVS knock off of the Olay one, and liking it a lot. I ve to use something or my eyelids really get nasty and itchy. It has to be a rich and creamy cream, but I can't let it get anywhere near the rest of my face... sigh, combination!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I was using StriVectin until I became pregnant so I've had to knock it on the head for the duration so for the past few months I've been using Cliniques All About Eyes - really, really like it!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
cupcake said:
When I was testing concealers at bobbi brown the makeup artist told me I was quite dehydrated in the eye area. She reccomended just getting an cheapie cream. I ended up getting the cream by yes to carrots and I've already noticed the difference! My undereye circles have already started to go away and I've definitely noticed it being more hydrated. You should give it a try! It's cheap and chips and comes in a huge tub.

I am absolutly going to have to give this a Whirl! THanks for the info!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I've been wondering about eye creams myself lately. I've never used one before....I should say, I've never bought and used something specifically called "eye cream" but I do use my normal moisturizer around my eyes.

What's the difference, really?

And, are you supposed to use it on your eyelids as well? The instructions I've looked at while browsing in the store aren't clear on that part.

Inky

One Too Many
Gingerella72 said:
I've been wondering about eye creams myself lately. I've never used one before....I should say, I've never bought and used something specifically called "eye cream" but I do use my normal moisturizer around my eyes.

What's the difference, really?

And, are you supposed to use it on your eyelids as well? The instructions I've looked at while browsing in the store aren't clear on that part.

Generally eye creams are formulated specifically to not to irritate the eye area. A good one will be a cream that has been tested by ophthalmologists to be safe to use near your eyes. They usually don't contain any fragrance, and tend to be more emollient than regular moisturizers. My eye cream is thicker than my daily moisturizer, which is more of a lotion formula.

I do moisturize my eyelids in the evening, but not during the day if I am going to be putting on shadow unless there is plenty of time for it to soak in (conversely, I do use a bit of eye cream about 30 minutes before applying make up under my eyes as it helps with the concealer application).

In my opinion (and I am not a beautician or ophthalmologist), I think it's fine to use moisturizer near the eye area as long as it does not contain any ingredients that could irritate the eye area, like a simple jojoba oil. It's important to keep that sensitive and thinner eye tissue well hydrated and not tug at it when applying cream of any kind.

Here is a good article I found

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/14/earlyshow/living/beauty/main508979.shtml

Lily Amelia

New in Town
I had never found any eye cream which seemed to make any noticeable difference, so decided to give the jojoba oil a try.

I put it just on one eye before going to bed last night so I could compare the two this morning - and there definitely is a difference!! I thought it might have just been me wanting to see a change so I asked my husband to have a look. He didn't know which eye I'd put the oil on, but said that one looked the best - much less puffy than the other one. :eusa_clap

So jojoba oil is going to become part of my night-time routine from now on - thanks for the recommendation KittyT, Scarlett & Heather!

Now I just have to spend the rest of today hoping no-one notices I've got wonky eyes lol

Becca_Lugosi

New in Town
I've been using vitamin E oil on just about everything. Winter makes my skin so dry :( I have a humidifier running constantly which has made a HUGE difference in my skin and hair. I'm a big fan of Aveeno lotions and potions too.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
For those of you who have skin that is not breakout prone, rosehip oil is a delight to use and works really well around the eye area.

I'm one that wants a bit of anti-ageing so I've decided to go with a Boots serum that I have no issue using around my eye area. I used to use a separate eye cream (I LOVE Skyn Iceland) but I went on a simplification bender and got rid of all the extras I really didn't feel I needed.

I always make sure to wear sunscreen too...I use a physical block so it never stings my eyes. Neutrogena has a baby one (name escapes me) that I use and love. It doesn't make me oily and I always make sure to put it under my eye area. I don't do it on my lids because it will affect my shadow application.

Miztorif

New in Town
Palmers Cocoa Butter as Eyecream??

Does anyone use the Palmers on their faces for for eyecream? Ive searched the threads and cant find any usage as an eye cream, but mecause the original formula ia more like a salve I wasthinking it might have good results.

Antje

One Too Many
I,ve been using the Palmer's cocao butter formula as a Night cream at the moment,
I don't know why and how I start using it, but my skin thinks it is fabulous

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
I was using StriVectin until I became pregnant so I've had to knock it on the head for the duration so for the past few months I've been using Cliniques All About Eyes - really, really like it!

I like All About Eyes too - and it turns up in Gift With Purchase often enough that I never actually have to buy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto