Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Masks And other DIY projects

These things are impossible to find these days, but contrary to early news reporting face masks DO help against contracting Covid-19. Designer face masks might just be the hottest new Outerwear item for Spring 2020.
My wife has found a link for making them yourself.
https://www.project-cloth-masks.com/make-a-mask
Since I have a sewing machine in the garage, and kids home from school for the next month and a half- I figured I’d teach my oldest to sew.
I will update this thread with photos as we go, but I’d also love to see how the rest of you are getting crafty while on “lock-down”.

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I just ran one up this morning.
IMG_2329 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I used a slightly different method and two layers of cotton rather than polypro non-woven.
IMG_2332 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Of course the beard would have to go for any real effectiveness. But I wanted to see how much trouble it was to sew one. Not much it turns out. Could probably run them out in 5 minutes with a little practice.

M

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Stylishly done Michael!
Is it hard to breathe through the 2 layers of shirt?
Thanks. I have bad lungs to start with, but I would say it's not terrible to breathe through. I have to clamp it to my face with my hands to really judge that, due to the beard. I used the closer tie off of a bag of bean coffee for the shaper on the nose and cheeks. I think that worked very well. I think there was a scientific paper that looked into homemade masks back in 2013. I believe they suggested cotton t-shirt material. It wasn't the most effective at stopping the passage of their model organisms, but the ease of breathing, passage of moisture, etc made it the first choice.

Michael

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I just ran one up this morning.
IMG_2329 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I used a slightly different method and two layers of cotton rather than polypro non-woven.
IMG_2332 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Of course the beard would have to go for any real effectiveness. But I wanted to see how much trouble it was to sew one. Not much it turns out. Could probably run them out in 5 minutes with a little practice.

M

Only on here will you find a facemask that actually has some semblance of style. I like!

Plus you can get pretty kustom
D0774E86-C817-4B0B-A832-FC0CC5ED17B0.jpeg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
a guide to making masks:
https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/

of course all the "experts" on the interweb are saying this sort of thing is useless, and for clinical/medical situations they're right, but for going out in public area where close contact is relatively limited every little bit counts in terms of reducing exposure and risk even by small amounts (those small amounts add up)

I plan on wearing mine when I venture out to the grocery store. It’s only once a week, but the lines are still pretty long. There is no way people are keeping 6 ft apart.
03FCBF0C-AA33-4B91-AF2F-86AA68501BB6.jpeg

Last edited:
So here is the type of re-useable shopping bag you want to use. Wash it first as they get pretty dirty.
57D9B55A-56F6-49E4-A37D-5827000E4F25.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. I have bad lungs to start with, but I would say it's not terrible to breathe through. I have to clamp it to my face with my hands to really judge that, due to the beard. I used the closer tie off of a bag of bean coffee for the shaper on the nose and cheeks. I think that worked very well. I think there was a scientific paper that looked into homemade masks back in 2013. I believe they suggested cotton t-shirt material. It wasn't the most effective at stopping the passage of their model organisms, but the ease of breathing, passage of moisture, etc made it the first choice.

Michael
The reason for using polypro non-woven is that the mask is that they are water proof. There is no evidence that the virus is airbourne yet. In stead the virus is believed to be carried by the mist/droplets when people speak, sneeze, cough or from leaky pipes or toilets etc so the mask has to be somewhat water proof or mist proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko