Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Isle Sweater (Jumper) Vest

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
This is an article of clothing I've been searching for, either new or vintage, for a long time.

The classic, British men's sweater-vest in heathery/brown tones. It seems that EVERY Englishman in the 30's and 40's was wearing one, so there should be a lot of them floating around, no?

Picture what the office runners were wearing at the Ministry Of Information (M.O.I.) in the movie "Brazil". I think the Pevensie kids in "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe" wore them too (WWII).

Another thing; I've got a 52" chest so vintage ANYTHING is hard to come by for me.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated! :)

-BigLittleTim

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Needn't be vintage - they still do these. Jos.A.Bank has one on clearance. Not very brown (they call it "camel"), but handsome and well priced ($39.98 in lambswool). I just bought one and like it.
8652.jpg

And yes, they have XXL.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
(Superimposed caption: 'FLOWER ARRANGEMENT'
Pull back to show Gumby in studio with piles of flowers on a table.
Superimposed caption: 'INTRODUCED BY D. P. GUMBY')

Gumby: Good evening. First take a bunch of flowers. (he grabs the flowers from the table) Pretty begonias, irises, freesias and chrysanthemums, then arrange them nicely in a vase. (he thrusts the flowers head downwards into the vase and stuffs them in wildly; he even bangs them with a mallet in an attempt to get them all in) Get in! Get int Get in!

Love the Gumbies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"Fair Isle Sweater"

So that's what they're called! I've always referred to tham as "All Creatures Great and Small" sweaters, because everyone on that show wore one. I've looked everywhere to find a really authentic looking one. I suppose they really should be hand knit by someone near and dear to you. Is there a shop in the UK that might specialize in them? I suppose that an authentic one will set be back $200 or $300, as opposed to the $20 to $80 a machine made one would cost.
Are these sweaters also referred to as jerkins in Britain?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
So that's what they're called! I've always referred to tham as "All Creatures Great and Small" sweaters, because everyone on that show wore one. I've looked everywhere to find a really authentic looking one. I suppose they really should be hand knit by someone near and dear to you. Is there a shop in the UK that might specialize in them? I suppose that an authentic one will set be back $200 or $300, as opposed to the $20 to $80 a machine made one would cost.
Are these sweaters also referred to as jerkins in Britain?

Louise Irvine produces hand-knit to order Fair Isle sweaters that are mostly in the 100-175 GBP range.

(link via Will's blog, A Suitable Wardrobe.)

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Fair Isle Sweaters

I got the real name of the "Fair Isle" sweater (jumper) from Bobby of Boston, the vintage clothing seller. According to him, these vintage sweaters have increased in popularity in recent years. He used to find dozens of old Fair Isle jumpers on buying-trips to the U.K., but they've all but disappeared lately.

Unfortunately, modern manufacturers seem to regard the Fair Isle pattern as more appropriate for women than men. You'll find many examples in bright pinks, yellows, and blues, but few in the dark heathery colors popular in Great Britain back in the 30's and 40's.

The hand-knit "Prince of Wales" jumper, by Louise Irvine, is spot-on what I want. Unfortunately, the English Pound is just too strong, compared to the U.S. Dollar, for it to be a viable option right now.

-BigLittleTim

Sans Souci

New in Town
Authentic hand knit Fair Trade Fair Isle jumpers and sweater

Lots of options in terms of colours, patterns and styles all authentically hand knit by women in Shetland - but here's the HUGE difference Thistle & Broom actually pays the women 66% of the retail price directly and up front. What's more their efforts are entirely bespoke with four required measurements the end result is heirloom quality and exactly what you want. Colour variations are not a problem. That their efforts positively impact the Shetland economy in a way that J. Crew, Old Navy and Ralph Lauren is a huge bonus for these pensioners. http://www.thistleandbroom.com/scotland/fair-isle-knitwear.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points