Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake Radio

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I don't know. It is "radio". Bette Davis could have walked into the soundstage with a full grown beard and none of the listeners would have known it. lol

Wild Root

Gone Home
I've seen photos of stars doing radio broadcasting, they were rather casual when at the station for a broadcast but, they did do their hair though, I mean, they were dressed but, not in suits for the most part, the ladies wore sweater tops and skirts, even slacks! The recording studio was a casual joint... now, if it were a live broadcast, it was in front of an audience!!! So, they wore nice clothes for that... even some shows were filmed! I've seen some war time Jack Benny shows that were filmed and they were broadcasting live... it was really neat!

=WR=

LizzieMaine

Bartender
During the early thirties, full evening dress was required at NBC for broadcasts before an audience -- everything was strictly formal and dignified. This gave way by the middle of the decade to ordinary streetwear, but still on the conservative side.

The notable exception was Bing Crosby, who by the time of his Kraft Music Hall series was in the habit of showing up for broadcasts in untucked Hawaiian shirts, baggy slacks, and sport shoes -- but he got away with it because, after all, he was Crosby.

Wild Root

Gone Home
How right you are Lizzie! Bing was known to wear very casual clothes to broadcasts... I believe it started in the 40's... before then, he dressed very nicely in his early days 1928-1935 but, the look every one remembers of ol' Bing is that of a plaid wool shirt buttoned all the way, untucked with baggy gab trousers, a worn fedora and a pipe... I recall hearing a story of how Ronald Coleman was so upset at Bing for showing up to a broadcast looking like that... there was Ronald in a nice double breasted suit and groomed... then Bing steps in looking like a Gardener! lol He wasn't happy to say the least!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112