Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion for today?

Shirin

A-List Customer
I'm curious, I was just browsing some patterns over on eBay that are called, "playsuit" or "jumper" . I found a really cute one that is like shorts and shirt sewn together with a defined waist.
I know we a vintage wearers shouldn't be concerned about our public persona, buy would any of you be caught wearing one of these one piece ensembles?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The modern styles are very trendy right now, but I still think they look like exercise class at a girls' reform school. :D So far I've only seen pictures of them, usually on young Hollywood types attending some sort of premier - none have dared make an appearance on the central coast.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I have two.

Rayon gabardine with purple rick rack trim and an optional skirt, and then another that is multi-striped seersucker. I wear them during hot summer days or at car shows.

I love 'em. And if I could get vintage 40's or 50's gym suits, I would totally wear them to the gym to work out it! With wedgies, if there's no rules at the place about open-toed shoes.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
If I found one that flattered my figure I'd wear it! My friend Diana is super fashion-forward and always looks cute and she has a few modern jumpers that she wears out and about and always looks fantastic in.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Oh, I should clarify - mine are NOT modern. I'm not sure why, but I thought the patterns were for vintage ones!

I don't know what modern ones look like - I haven't shopped for modern clothing in years and years. But if they looked like really good 40's or 50s style repros, I'd consider it.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Hmm, thanks for all your input ladies. Its definitely a look I would like to try, but I would have to see if my size (16) could pull it off. I'm having doubts now.:(

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here are some modern ones, the gofugyourself girls are always making fun of them. But I kinda like the Anna Faris one (the first one), on her it looks cute. I think if you're a bit bigger, they would still look cute, IF you have nice legs.

87240408-thumb-420x607.jpg

87218223-thumb-420x640.jpg

87442653-thumb-420x698.jpg

85888498-thumb-420x608.jpg

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
That strapless button sided one is kinda cute ... if it was a little more free (and a bit longer) in the legs and had novelty bakelite buttons instead, I'd wear it. I'm a vintage 16 - modern 10?? - but my legs are NOT great shakes, I go for playsuits with more length to them.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
I like them, they're supposedly "in", and they are on my to-sew list.
However, I feel they're only so appropriate...I would probably wear one to the beach, or bumming around at my friend's house or my yard but I wouldn't be caught wearing one, say, to the library, a restaurant, etc.

Shirin

A-List Customer
That second one is fantastic! But there's no way I would be able to wear such a piece so tight and short...*sniffle*

Thanks for the examples and input everyone.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I have one from Beyond Retro. I don't suppose it's really particularly "vintage" But it's pretty. But i'm not brave enough to wear short shorts. Mine are more like culottes.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Forever21 has some of these. They call them jumpsuits or rompers. If I found a cute one I might try it, but they look very unforgiving to pear shaped bodies.
Jumpsuits:
56246074-01.jpg

57699259-01.jpg

Rompers:
56191507-02.jpg

56698477-01.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I'm purchasing this one tomorrow:
I-Heart-Ronson-Romper_083F007F-1.jpg

It's actually (wonder of wonders) flattering on my super-small waist and disproportionately sizable rear. I plan to gleefully frolic at Bonnaroo, sans the terrifying tights and boots in the picture. The whole line ( I heart Ronson/JC Penney) is pretty cute and full of vintage-y prints and ruffles. Everything's a bit sheer, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112