Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas candy

I've never really had what one would call a sweet tooth. We just never had many sweets growing up, and even today I prefer salty snacks...peanuts, potato chips, and I'm absolutely crazy for fresh popcorn. But Christmas was one time when we got to eat a little candy, either some that Mom provided, or she didn't smack our hands when we were offered by someone else. I think my favorite as a kid was a roll of LifeSavers, and I remember getting the little books that had like five or six rolls in them. Even today, I think that's my favorite little Holiday treat. What's yours?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Definitely, Ky. chocolate covered bourbon balls( only at christmas, worth having shipped); ribbon candy; filled hard candy, white chocolate with candy cane chips; homemade p'nut brittle.

Ky Bourbon balls:

7 tblspn butter
1lb powdered sugar
1c crushed pecans soaked in bourbon( 3 days)

Coating 1-12oz pkg choc chips
1/2 block parafin wax

Cut butter into sugar, add pecan/bourbon mixture. Chill for 1 hour.

Melt choc. chips and wax.

Scoop out chilled mixture with melon scoop(ball), dip( coat) in melted chocolate and set on wax paper to cool.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hands down...PEANUT BRITTLE. Can't get enough PB at Christmas! I always get a few boxes or tins under the tree. Years ago it was always homemade by Grandma. It can be addictive.
HD

cchgn

One of the Regulars
homemade P,nut Brittle:

2cup sugar
1cup Karo syrup
1cup water

bring to boil 240deg

Stir in 2 cups p'nuts and 1 tbsp of baking soda., it will foam up.

Pour onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Let cool. Break up and enjoy.

3fingers

One Too Many
cornflake.jpg
Cornflake wreathes. A tradition here from childhood.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I had an aunt that used to make those wreaths!
Along with sugar cookies with icing.
A great idea for 4 boys under the age of 10, at Christmas time, washed down with regular cokes. :eeek:
Ah the 70's, before people figured out this was a bad idea. ;)

My grandmother used to make Divinity.
Since I'm on low carb, these are out for now.
One other item that has almost become obsolete because of online shopping, is the Hickory Farms Strawberry, gel filled hard candy.
strawberrycandy.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Oh my, all these so far are enough to make you want to scream for something so sweet! I make all the cookies but only make some white fudge and then add walnuts or pecans crushed on them with one large Hersey brand chocolate kiss on top of each square.

Now as for any "booze" going into candy, I think the candy and then a quick shot of brandy would make all that much easier on me. Sort of a "nibble once, shot once" deal! Hey, I did just pick up a half pint of Jack Daniel's for the Egg Nogg, just to spruce it up a touch. We will wait to use that on Christmas Eve and then maybe Christmas day as well.

I always seem to have someone give me a few boxes of fancy chocolates (Whitman Samplers) and chocolate covered cherries.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
vitanola,

My grandmother used to fill a now with that lovely ribbon and jelly filled fruit hard candy at Christmas. How I still love the stuff!.

Agreed. But this stuff, the quality stuff, is hard to find.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I associate Black Magic and Pot O' Gold chocolates with Christmas. Every family seemed to have one or the other at this time of year but never at any other time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk