Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite everyday watch

Bebop

Practically Family
I know there are some watch collectors here and I can just imagine what great vintage watches some of you have but I wonder what you all wear as an everyday watch? I like my Omega Seamaster most of the time except for the fact that I can't see what time it is very well in the dark.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
My favorite everyday watch...

...also happens to be the first decent watch I ever purchased: a 1972 Bulova mechanical. It's brushed stainless steel with a cream-colored face, and a 3mm-wide metallic blue stripe running around the outside of the dial. It's one of their "whale" models. Keeps perfect time. I bought it at a pawn shop 10 years ago for $30 after not wearing a watch for several years. I just couldn't find one I liked much until I encountered this one. Since then, I've been offered up to $300 for it, but I just can't talk myself into letting it go.

I also have Bulovas (all mechanical) from the 40s, 50s and 60s, as well as a single Citizen bracelet-style watch (Eco-drive) that's only a couple of years old. I wear it when there's a significant chance of damage being done to my good watches by water or heavy impact, such as when I'm camping.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
It's deceptively plain...

...which is why I like my Waltham A-11. My grandpa was in the Army Air Forces. Most of his gear is now lost forever and he passed away ten years ago so I can't ask him, but I'd still like to think that he once wore one just like it.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Smith & Wesson

Really. They make some pocket watch type watches with carabiner clips integral to the body of the watch. Clip it on a belt loop. Built like tanks. I have a black one and an army-green one. I aim to get a silver one. They only cost about $25 but they look quite nice, especially the silver one (unfortunately the paint comes off the painted ones under heavy use).

A while back my mother gave me a beautiful gold German pocket watch from about 1910. Gave me the watch one year, and then the very long fob the next year. I used to wear that as my everyday watch, dumb ass that I am. I broke the glass (the bezel?) and the watch is at the shop right now. Definitely not an everyday watch, not for me anyway (if it can break, I'll break it, one way or another). Thus, the Smith & Wessons are great for me. Not just because they're inexpensive, but because they look good and can take abuse.

wesson.jpg

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Just purchased...

...a Hamilton Khaki watch: Black face, tan canvas band. It may very well replace my Citizen as my beating around watch. The silver bracelet on the Citizen is too bling-y for my tastes, and most of what I wear is tan and black. Besides, I hear Hamilton makes some decent watches;) .

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Early 80s silver Rolex Oyster. Very plain understated.

It's not as obtrusive as others, but can you (all) explain me what is nice or beautiful about Rolex watches? I'm serious - I always found them very ugly, and at the same time, I see that they are very much liked.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I tend to use watches vigorously, so I wear a contemporary one with the classic dive look, and 200M water resistance: the Tissot PRS-200.

I have worn Tissot for 36 years, and I am convinced that they make every bit as good a watch as a Rolex or Tag Heuer. My watchmaker agrees, and he knows watches very well indeed.

I still have a 1971 Tissot Visodate dive watch that is massive and heavy, but no longer is watertight so it spend much of its time in my jewelry case. It's a self-winder. One of these days maybe I'll get an original bracelet for it - the original wore out. There are darn few Tissot bracelets that fit, since the ends are 22mm wide.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
It's not as obtrusive as others, but can you (all) explain me what is nice or beautiful about Rolex watches? I'm serious - I always found them very ugly, and at the same time, I see that they are very much liked.

The oyster i have has a rather small face, compared to my travelling watch. It always reminded me of art deco watches, with it's smooth curved lines and simple, understated elegance.

But what is really beautiful about a Rolex (don't know about the modern ones) is the mechanism. The way the seconds hand sweeps around the face - almost imperceptible that it is actually counting every 1/5 of a second. I know this is true of many fine watches. Also the super sharp points on the minute and hour hands. The rolex is a fine watch. It is a work of art that someone has laboured long hours in the making of.

But i agree on the vulgarity factor. My brother got one also (don't know the model, but probably early 80s also) but he got one that is gold and very bulky. He likes it. I do not. Too gaudy. Showy, even.

bk

Tudor

Familiar Face
I like my Dad's windup, Swiss movement, Bulova 13 jewel or Hamilton 23 jewel from the mid 50’s for dress occasions. Both look similar to the one on Matt’s wrist. If the watch could get wet or beat up I wear a water-resistant 80's Seiko Quartz.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have been wearing my 1948 17j Elgin gold wristwatch since I won it at the QM. Thank you, Michaelson!

When I am not wearing it, I wear my stainless steel Tag Heuer Professional.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Takes a lickin' and stops... though with some money it can be repaired.

It works fine now and I wear it everywhere. Hamilton, Bolton.

I think I might upgrade soon, this one was me for so long, though I think I am ready for a change.

Hamilton2-vi.jpg

My everyday watch is a southwestern Fossil with lots of small stone chips around the outside - sort of a "stained glass" look. But I have two similar to Matt's picture - my dad's Longine (wedding present from Mom in 1947) plus my grandfather's Bulova. Dad gave me the former when I graduated, but he'd gotten the great idea of taking it to a watch shop for "restoration" first and the original slightly off-white/ivory face was painted bright white and they didn't do a great job of re-painting the lines on the face or the little dial that ticks off the seconds. Mom gave me the latter for my 30th birthday (thankfully in it's pristine original state and still working great). I wear it pretty often. I keep meaning to check with some local watch shops about having the Longine "unrestored" - like can the paint be removed without damaging the original watchface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points