Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Liner Material for Cafe Racer Style Leather Motorcycle Jacket

Kane

One of the Regulars
I believe the cafe style MC jacket is made with a variety of liners, or none at all. What’s your preference for the liner? I may be looking for one these soon for on and off the bike, something a bit stealthier than my LAPD jacket. I can see going without a liner to keep things light and snug, but perhaps for ease of movement and comfort a liner is good. I see pics here of jackets with what look like flannel liners and satin liners, even jackets with quilted liners, which seems like a bulk that would get in the way of a CR for riding. What works best for this type of jacket?

Thanks!

I really liked the thin quilted liner in my old Schott.
E009C23B-F696-413A-A6E4-69BF69B238E0.jpeg

Quilted liner for when it's cold, sort of essential for me but otherwise I don't really have a preference. I like Aero's cotton drill a lot. It's a nice, heavy, sturdy fabric that goes well with the leather they use. I can't say I recall what the liners were on any of the other cr's that I have had. Red is good color for a cafe racer liner.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lewis Phantom doesn't look or feel bulky at all with its quilted lining. Having said that I don't really need quilted lining in the local weather. Personally I prefer the satin lining on my RM Buco J-100s to the cotton one on my Vanson Comet. I really like a reasonably thick and solid satin lining like the one on my Al's leather CHP. To be honest I find the lining on all RM Buco rather disappointing be it quilted or satin. Schott 641 has removable lining but that would make sizing the jacket difficult because it would indeed be too loose if worn without the lining.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
From what I can gather stain is not material it is a type of weave. Stain lining can be weaved from a variety of material like cotton, silk, and bends

That makes sense. I imagine some satin (as used for women's garments) is pretty fragile. What satin does Aero use?

sweetfights

LW's flight satin lining was always my favorite.
Tough as nails and allowed donning and doffing with ease.

SinSir

A-List Customer
If I could I'd probably line almost every jacket I own with what a modern Cal uses. It feels great to the touch, arms slide in/out smooth, and surprisinly warm.

Screenshot_20191225-022852_Gallery.jpg

sweetfights

It has a luxurious feel, tough as nails but now that you mention it, not as breathable as some other choices.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Another vote for a nylon / silk or satin quilt. At a stretch rayon or satin if I can fit a liner vest (like on my Schott 141) .... I find cotton drill a bit “draggy” in the sleeves of my bike jackets which are fitted by design rather than loose ( what I mean by this is not drag when I insert my arms in the sleeve but more drag when I bend my arms causing restriction / discomfort).

Airtex (perforated nylon / polyester) is the perfect liner with the option of a zip in liner for colder rides a fitted to most jackets designed for motorcycle usage. Nothing against vintage jackets or liners but Airtex is just simply better imho.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112