Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite movies of 2007

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Well, it's the end of the year--a time to look back. Which of the 2007 film releases have you seen? (see here for a list to refresh you memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film). Which films were your favorites? Which movies made you want that 2 hours and $12 back? Were there any films that you missed in the theater but you want to catch on DVD?

For me:

Films I saw and loved
2 Days in Paris--Julie Delphy; a funny, quirky little film. A great supporting cast.
La Vie En Rose--Marion Cotillard; she would get the Oscar if there was any justice (but I don't think there is)
Atonement--James McAvoy; visually stunning, great story, great acting.
Sweeney Todd--Tim Burton is a cinematic god to me.

Films between "I loved it!" and "Eh":
Music and Lyrics--cute, good for what it was
Becoming Jane--a formula film but quite well done.
Harry Potter--enjoyable, especially Imelda Staunton's performance.
Elizabeth: The Golden Age--Cate Blanchett; it's WAY over the top but that's it's charm in my eyes.

Films I saw and thought "Eh!":
Reign Over Me--I was dragged by a friend; Don Cheadle made this bearable but this is on the edge of being the only entry in the "wish I had my $10 back" category.
SpiderMan 3--I was dragged by a friend; fun for what it was but they should have cut an hour IMO.

Missed in the theater but I want to see:
Breach--Chris Cooper
Zodiac--Jake Gyllenhaal
Sunshine-Cillian Murphy
Into the Wild--I loved the book and I'd like to see how they try and translate it to the screen; I fear it can't be done well though
Lust Caution--Ang Lee
The Darjeeling Limited--Jason Schwartzman
No Country for Old Men--The Coen brothers; this is still playing, I may yet get to see it in the theater
Juno--Ellen Page--I'll be sure to see this before it leaves the theater
There Will Be Blood--Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano--not released here yet but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Here's my list of favs for 2007:

Catch & Release
Music & Lyrics
Bridge to Terabithia
Premonition
Grindhouse
Fracture
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Live Free or Die Hard
Transformers
Sunshine
Hot Rod
30 Days of Night
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Good luck finding a pattern there! There are still movies I have yet to see and I didn't bother to list the ones I disliked.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Favorites for me (limited mostly to films we've shown at The Strand)...

The Lives of Others -- compelling, brilliant performances.

Black Book -- I had never heard of Carice Van Houten before seeing this, but I was blown away by her work.

La Vie En Rose -- yes, she *should* get the Oscar.

Talk To Me -- Unfairly overlooked Don Cheadle vehicle, and how can anyone overlook Don Cheadle in anything?

Hairspray (The Musical) -- Forget foam-rubber Travolta, Nikki Blonsky was the real star, and what a star she was.

Lars and the Real Girl -- we're showing this right now, and it's one of the most Capraesque modern films I've ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points