Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Uniforms

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
This is a tough one. There are so many great looking uniforms throughout history that to try and pick one or two is difficult. If I had to choose, I particularly like the militaria of the Roman republic around the time of Julius Caesar. When you had a high ranking soldier with all that regalia and colo and the red crested helmets, I think that is the best. Then again, I did study Latin in high school for 3 years.

If I had to make a number 2 choice, I would say the English uniforms of the medieval period with all the colors and coats of arms.

Cobden

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
SoWesPac khaki for me--still practical and professional, and far enough from "current issue" to be viable for everyday wear (as long as the wearer conducts themself appropriately) even around large military bases like the newly merged "Joint Base Lewis-McChord"*snort*.

British Officers Infantry 1902 Pattern Full Dress...you can't beat a well tailored red coat

Bingo

New in Town
Although not a uniform as such. American Indian warriors looked amazing.
I agree Napoleonic (Calvary in particular) looks good as well.

But I vote for the Greek Hoplite.

doctor dan

New in Town
I have to go along with General Patton. I think the German uniforms of WWII are the best. My favorites are Luthwaffa and one that I don't want to get any flack over.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
In no particular order:

WW1 era USN E1-E6 Service Dress Blues
WW2 era USN E1-E6 Undress Whites/Undress Blues
USN Aviation Greens
USN Service Dress Khaki

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
doctor dan said:
I have to go along with General Patton. I think the German uniforms of WWII are the best. My favorites are Luthwaffa and one that I don't want to get any flack over.
On German WWII Uniforms, it is my understanding that Hugo Boss was the designer of the SS uniforms, but I am not sure about other uniforms of the Reich.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
WWI German Naval Officer's uniform (essentially copied from the British).

WWII German U-Boat leathers (I say this because I own a repro. set and while they may not be the fanciest looking, they sure keep one warm when one is outside in the cold wind and snow).

WWII German Naval Officer's uniform (also essentially copied from the British).

I also like:

WWI German stormtroop uniform and WWII Russian Black Seas Fleet uniform.

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
The only way to beat a set of WWII Pinks and Greens is with a pair of pre-war Pinks and Greens with boots, breeches and leather Sam Brown.

Tom:beer:

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
USMC dress blues. There is no second place.
I do have to say the USMC blues are probably the best looking modern uniform. Probably because they take their design from past U.S Uniforms. I just wish the Marines weren't equipped with a sword that is a wall hanger and not real.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Vintage lover said:
I just wish the Marines weren't equipped with a sword that is a wall hanger and not real.

The Mameluke sword carried by Marine officers is a real weapon that honors the American naval victory over Tripolian pirates. :)
...and it's quite a pig sticker at that. :D

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

For toughness and looks: 1. USMC Service Uniform; 2. US Army Pinks and Greens; 3. US Navy Whites; 4. Allgemeine SS Black uniform; and 5. British WW1 Officer's uniforms.

For wearing and comfort; 1. US / Confederate Civil War Uniform; and 2. SoPac Khaki's. The civil war uniforms were layered, the wool breathes and wears pretty well. I used to reenact the 9th Texas Infantry. Khaki's are cool, except when wet, but nothing is much fun to wear wet.

The ONLY good thing about the Allgemeine SS was their uniforms. They were the party hacks, didn't fight or guard concentration camps. The Gestapo wore them too though. :rage:

Later

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Harp said:
The Mameluke sword carried by Marine officers is a real weapon that honors the American naval victory over Tripolian pirates. :)
...and it's quite a pig sticker at that. :D
Thanks for the info and correction. I had just heard that the modern swords issued were not made to the same specifications as their predecessors. Glad to hear that they are genuine!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Must be the lack of uniformity and preference of a personal touch as shown by RAF fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain. Seamens/navy sweaters, pyjamas, schoolscarfs, pullovers, top button undone...everything worked.

clewis.jpg

v0_master.jpg

Leonard.jpg

On both sides really:
old_plane_pilots_540.jpg

Later in the desert airforce: The combo of shorts and leather flyingboots. :eusa_clap

249_Malta.jpg

spitfi1acver.jpg

Still in the desert: The "uniforms" of LRDG:

2660113.jpg

Maybe I just don't like uniforms and regulations all that much!

metropd

One Too Many
I like the 1940's NYPD uniforms, the late 1960's through late 1970's LAPD uniforms. The 1815 Gendarme and French Imperial Fussiler Uniforms(there were many variations) the 1930's London Met Police uniforms. The best modern uniform is the Italian Carabinieri uniforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112