Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by CherryRed, Sep 7, 2005.

1. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

Bluebird, those perfumes are so beautiful! Little works of art. What a treat that must be to see every morning.

Fort Worth, oh, I'm so envious of your Je Reviens ... that's one of my all-time favorite scents, and I've never been able to find a vintage bottle that hadn't gone off slightly. What a great find.

2. JoanHolloway

JoanHolloway New in Town

I wore Shalimar by Guerlain today!

3. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

That's my favourite perfume. I love it.

4. JoanHolloway

JoanHolloway New in Town

One of the men I work with was in an office with me and he sniffs and asked if I was wearing perfume! It was my Shalimar!!

5. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage Practically Family

My favorite mens fragrances
    Old Spice (classic), 1934
    Skin Bracer, 1931

For women my favorites
    Emeraude Perfume by Coty (first perfume ever from Mom)
    Cachet perfume by Prince Matchabelli for Women (Dad gave this to me when he sold Avon once).
    Jontue by Revlon for Women Cologne Spray (my Aunt gave it to me for Christmas one year).
    Ambush(original) perfume by dana (after watching the movie and reading the book That Night I had to find it).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. St. Louis

7. I Adore Film Noir

I Adore Film Noir A-List Customer

Did you know that the original Ambush had a companion scent in the men's fragrance Canoe?

8. St. Louis

Heavenly heavenly heavenly ... today I received the ultimate score. I've been yearning to find the original Coty Chypre, which for many vintage perfume enthusiasts is the Holy Grail. It's almost impossible to find, and when it does show up on ebay or etsy, it goes for sky-high prices-- prices that I cannot afford. I'm not talking about the 1980s reformulation, which is very nice (and which also goes for $150 to $200 for a small used bottle.) I'm talking about the real thing, the original. No, I didn't find a bottle of the perfume, but a pale green powder from the 1940s. It still has a faint fragrance that is just heartbreakingly beautiful.

When I have a little more time I'll post a photo of it. The bottle is very pretty and has that typical square 1940s shape. I put a little of the powder on my wrist & now can't stop vacuuming it with my nose (nice image, I know.) This is just so beautiful, interesting, dry, woody, and fresh ... nothing like the sickeningly sweet and fruity modern tart-scents that you find in every department store (generally named after women who are famous for being famous.)

I'm thrilled to pieces.

9. RainEdayWoman

RainEdayWoman Familiar Face

My all time favorite is Lauren by Ralph Lauren though it only came out in 1978. Older than that is Vanilla Extract just a dab behind the ears. It is what my grandmother would wear. On occasion I use Vintage Rose extract.

10. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt Practically Family

Lauren is a beautiful fragrance! Keep wearing it!

11. Alex Oviatt

Alex Oviatt Practically Family

Nothing better.

12. Grnidwitch

Grnidwitch A-List Customer

I'm wearing Canoe today. I can't find the original Ambush anymore. :(

13. CinnamonCinders

CinnamonCinders New in Town

I recently had a bottle of Guerlain's Mitsouko Eau de Parfum given to me and it's simply divine. I think it has definitely soared to the top of my favourites list thus demonstrating that the oldies are often the best :)

Other than the Mitsouko, I have a fair bit of perfume but mostly more modern scents: Agent Provocateur, Balenciaga, Bulgari's Jasmin Noir, Dolce & Gabanna's Sicily and Guerlain's Shalimar Initial as well as a few others that I don't wear as often.

Unfortunately, I get migraines triggered by some perfumes and Chanel No 5, Opium, many of the Dior scents and all scents by Estee Lauder tend to trigger me off. So sad!

The ones I do have though, I indulge myself with. I took a leaf out of Marilyn's book regarding nightwear many years ago, never to look back.

14. zombi

zombi A-List Customer

Guerlain's Vol de Nuit is really lovely. I threw down for it when I went to Vegas for my wedding and I don't regret it one bit.

15. Stormy

Stormy A-List Customer

I still love Chanel #5. It reminds me of my mother and other women I've adored. I like it so much that my former students gave me a bottle for Christmas one year. I suppose I've spoken about the past far too much .... But I can't seem to help myself

16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Familiar Face

I love the smell of Chanel No. 5, it always reminds me of my Nana, so I keep a bottle on my dressing table and wear it when I need cheering up.

I use Mitsouko too, and it's definitely one of my favorite perfumes, along with 'Miss Dior', and 'Jes Reviens' by Worth, which my Mom has used for as long as I can remember.
    A couple of years ago, somebody gave me a 'Tabu' giftset, and I have to say out of all my perfumes, I never get as many nice comments as I do when I wear that. :)

17. zombi

zombi A-List Customer

Do they still make Fleurs de Rocaille? Does anyone know what it's like? :)

18. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

So sorry to break this news to all of you ladies.... there is no vintage perfume anymore

the closest you will get to vintage is the written name ladies...

Vintage is gone ... but then...y'all knew that... :)

19. rotebander

rotebander New in Town

Hello again, after a very long time away!
    I just graduated from high school, and I feel that it's time to find a somewhat more grown-up and classy perfume. I tried on Shalimar, but once I smelled it on me I realized that's my grandmother's signature scent and I'd feel strange wearing it myself! Throughout high school I've been wearing Coco Mademoiselle, and I really have come to love chypre and leather scents. Would you ladies have any recommendations for a classic everyday perfume that's suitable for a girl heading off to college?

20. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

Sadly.... in my opinion all that is left of vintage perfumes ...is the written name. :( formulations have changed .... they changed a long,long long time ago.

Nevertheless ...I guess it brings some comfort the name itself... if not the aroma.