Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorites from the decade of transition, 1960-69

Naphtali

Practically Family
The decade 1960-1969 was the one of transition. The Kings and queens are gone or going, as is the studio system that nurtured them. Nevertheless, wonderful motion pictures were created. What were your favorites? I am less interested in obvious "consensus" favorites than I am with the less well known gems of pure entertainment. To begin the thread in no particular order, here are several such gems, gems that are, for many, nearly unknown.

Comedy--
The Last Time I Saw Archie (1961), Robert Mitchum, Jack Webb, France Nuyen. A droll comedy set immediately prior to D-Day. Based closely enough to fact that the screenwriter, William Bowers, and the production company were sued for libel.

The Pink Jungle (1968) James Garner, Eva Renzi, Nigel Green, George Kennedy. A fashion photographer becomes involved with smugglers. Supporting cast and their dialogue make this superior.

Boys Night Out (1962) James Garner, Kim Novack. This is a "guy" movie. Average Joe's create the ultimate bachelor pad -- and reap the whirlwind.

The Flim Flam Man (1967) George C. Scott, Michael Sarrazin, Sue Lyons. An elderly con artist meets an army deserter. Together they teach the rural south about greed.

Lover Come Back (1961) Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall. Madison Avenue runs amok. This is what "Pillow Talk" wanted to be.

What

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The 60s seem to be the first flowering of really good "recent past" period pieces. Younger directors, more authenticity of look and feel. I like Bonnie and Clyde ('67) and The Americanization of Emily ('64) in particular.

A lot of thrillers from these years need a closer look. The Bedford Incident ('65) with Richard Widmark is a great study of the military mind gone wrong. Mirage ('65) with Gregory Peck is taut and satisfyingly frustrating.

Intelligent comedy wasn't a big draw, tho. There were a few, such as the touching "dramedy" Lilies of the Field ('63), with Sidney Poitier building a chapel in the desert. And Bedazzled ('67) with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore is great fun.

I always like Charade ('63). Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn: how could you go wrong?

Crossovers: Poitier was also in Bedford Incident. Charade and Bedazzled were both Stanley Donen's work. Mirage and Charade both had George Kennedy as a first-class heel, psychotic and proud of it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Phaedra (1962) Anthony Perkins, Melina Mercouri, and Raf Valone directed by Jules Dassin. A retelling of the Greek myth of Phaedra. In modern Greece, Alexis's father, an extremely wealthy shipping magnate, marries the younger, fiery Phaedra. When Alexis meets his stepmother, sparks fly and the two begin an affair. What will the Fates bring this family? Alexis's roadster and the music of Bach figure in the conclusion.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056346/board

Blowup (1966) David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin directed by Michelangelo Antonioni. A successful mod photographer in London accidentally captures the commission of a murder on film. The fact that he has photographed a murder does not occur to him until he studies and then blows up his negatives, uncovering details, blowing up smaller and smaller elements, and finally putting the puzzle together.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060176/

The Jungle Book (1967) My favorite animated Disney feature ever. Featuring the voices of Phil Harris as Baloo, Sebastian Cabot as Bagheera, Louis Prima as King Louie, George Sanders as Shere Khan, and Sterling Holloway as Kaa.
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Jungle+Book&x=19&y=10

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969) Jane Fonda and Michael Sarrazin head a spectacular cast directed by Sydney Pollack. The lives of a disparate group of contestants intertwine in an inhumanely grueling dance marathon.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065088/

Lefty, Z is one of my top 10 of all-time.

just_me

Practically Family
If - Malcom McDowell

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, etc.

The Producers - Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - Zero Mostel, Michael Crawford, Phil Silvers, Buster Keaton

Easy Rider - Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson

Hard Day's Night - Beatles

The Graduate - Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft

Lions Love - Viva, Gerome Ragni, and James Rado

West Side Story - Russ Tamblyn, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris

and so many more.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Right off the top of my head I'd list:
"The Nutty Professor" by Jerry Lewis. Brilliantly funny/serious film that shows that the French knew what they were talking about when they declared JL a genius.

"La Notte" Absolutely compelling account of a marriage falling apart. Almost no plot and often slow, yet I am still drawn into this story every time. Great black and white cinematography and of course there is the beautiful Anouk Aimee and Monica Vitti

"Week End" by Godard. His last truely great film for some time.

"La Dolce Vita" and "8 1/2" by Fellini. Just the best

Talbot

One Too Many
'The Wheeler Dealers' with James Garner

'How to Steal a Million' with Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn

'Playtime' with Jacques Tati

'Donovans Reef' with John Wayne

'Once Upon a Time in the West' with Charles Bronson

'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' with Tracy, Hepburn and Poitier

'To Sir With Love' with Sidney Poitier

'Barefoot in the Park' with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford

'The World of Suzie Wong' with William Holden and Nancy Kwan

'The Umbrella's of Cherbourg' with Catherine Denueve

Sunny

One Too Many
Absolutely The Great Race and Charade.

The Longest Day (1962)

Where Eagles Dare (1968) is a personal favorite, and began my love for Alistair MacLean's (early) novels.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
When discussing 1960s films, a movie that rarely gets a mention is Soldier In the Rain (1963). The seemingly odd pairing of Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen works well and the screenplay by Blake Edwards and haunting theme by Henry Mancini makes this one of my favorite "interesting failures" of the 1960s.

just_me

Practically Family
Nathan Dodge said:
When discussing 1960s films, a movie that rarely gets a mention is Soldier In the Rain (1963). The seemingly odd pairing of Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen works well and the screenplay by Blake Edwards and haunting theme by Henry Mancini makes this one of my favorite "interesting failures" of the 1960s.
I agree. I totally forgot about that movie. Haven't seen it in many years.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Steve McQueen, how about "Sand Pebbles". For my money, his best performance.
Aniother very 60's film: "A Man and a Woman".
One other favorite, I think from 1964, "Zulu". And again, speaking of Michael Caine, how about "Alfie".
And now that you got me started, "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help". And speaking of Richard lester, "Petulia" was another definitive 60's flick.
More:
Juliet of the Spirits - Fellini at his most Felliniesque
Last Year at Marienbad - just plain weird

just_me

Practically Family
I just thought of a few more -

Sweet November - Anthony Newley and Sandy Dennis

A Thousand Clowns - Jason Robards, Jr., Barbara Harris, Barry Gordon

Ship of Fools - Oskar Werner, George Segal, Simone Signoret, Michael Dunn

Naphtali

Practically Family
Coming-Out Party (1961) James robertson Justice, Leslie Phillips. The Germans capture a British scientist. Tough luck for the Germans.

League of Gentlemen (1960) Jack Hawkins, Nigel Patrick, Richard Attenborough, Roger Livesy. An excellent caper film with a Hitchcockian twist.

The Reivers (1969) Steve McQueen, Rupert Crosse. One of the finest motion pictures. Slice of life comedy-drama from Faulkner's novel.

Hour of the Gun (1967) James Garner, Jason Robards, Robert Ryan. This Western begins with the gunfight at the OK Corral.

36 Hours (1964) James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Rod Taylor. An American army officer who knows details of the D-Day invasion is captured. The Germans must break him.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Naphtali said:
Hour of the Gun (1967) James Garner, Jason Robards, Robert Ryan. This Western begins with the gunfight at the OK Corral.

36 Hours (1964) James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Rod Taylor. An American army officer who knows details of the D-Day invasion is captured. The Germans must break him.

Hour of the Gun boasts one of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores and the plot of 36 Hours made many an episode of Mission: Impossible...*ahem*...possible. (not to mention an Unknown Soldier comic book I read as a youth!)

Naphtali

Practically Family
Let's go for bizarre.

What's New Pussycat (1965) Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers, Woody Allen. A funny nightmare I saw with a lovely dancer with the Municipal Opera. Lucky me on several levels.

Morgan (1966) David Warner, Robert Stephens, unmentionable political hack. I couldn't begin to describe this film. It is comedic. Not for all tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points