Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathers in your hatbands?

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
What is the general opinion of everyone here on having the nice little tri-feather attached to the band?

I actually like it...reminds me of the Big-Band era of Swing hehe

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
I am also not a feather fan.
On my first hat, i bent the feather back so just the side edge poked up out of a fold in the fabric band. On my second one, i just removed it completely.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It may work on some hats, but I personally don't wear feathers in my hats. It feels a bit "costumy" to me. I guess the exception may be going for the swing/zoot suit look, but I don't dress in zoot suits...once again, too costumy for me. It doesn't fit my personality.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
No feathers for me

Thus far I have avoided buying a hat with feathers. If I did, I know I'd remove it and somehow that would take away from the "original" aspect of the hat. I know that thought is over the top, and I should not even give it passing consideration, but I have to admit that's the way my mind works!

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Heh, thanks for the swift responses. I was just wondering because one of my fedoras was dedicated to the brief Swing revival here in New Orleans and since that died off didnt know if it needed to be "saved" heh.

Well I like the feathers (never said they had to be on the hat) so looks like they are gonna be retired to "decorative item" and put on my wall clock XD

The Duke

One of the Regulars
Steve said:
I think a conservative feather can compliment a hat to a certain extent, but that's just me.

Yeah, I actually prefer a feather it does compliment the hats I have.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm in the minority, but I like them. Every hat I own other than an Open Road or Stratoliner has a feather. I pick them for color complements, and I think they make a great accent.

Each to their own, but wherever you see me wearing a fedora, it probably will have a jaunty feather in the band! :D :D :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't too sure what I thought of feathers -- thought the big ones were hokey, the smalls ones pretty -- until I read the history of hat feathers.

Seems a feather was given to a soldier or warrior or hunter as a token of bravery, or as a reward. Feathers were also used to define military regiments. A man might be given a feather as a gift of honor in days of old.

Guess that is where the phrase "a feather in his cap." meaning an honor or reward, came from.

I like the little colorful feathers and will keep them on the fedora. A big one, cowboy or fedora, gets removed and put somewhere else. I like a little color but do not need to define my regiment.

karol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feathers can be attractive, if they are subtle.

Like this little 60's vintage, (I think) hat I found today from Richman Bros. A very subtle touch of color that I wouldn't mind really.

60shatrichmanbros.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21