Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed and Fed Deluxe not available now???

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm not an Akubra, or Indy afficianado, so I'll ask this question:

Now that there is the new, improved "Federation IV" hat, has production of the "Federation" and "Federation Deluxe", which have been so popular in recent years, now ceased???

Are they still available anywhere? Where?
What is the difference in crown height between the "old" and the "new"?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

B
T

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
I'm not absolutely sure, but if you e-mail hatsidirect, they may still have some old Federations sitting around, but they aren't being produced anymore.

The Federation IV and Federation IV Deluxe aren't that different from the original, but there are some changes. The most obvious is crown is 5.5" as opposed to 6". The block also has less dome to it so that it is easier for it to be less tapered. The bow design has also been modified to a somewhat simpler and more Indy accurate design as well. The color of the regular Federation IV is also closer to the often considered superior color of the old Federation IV Deluxe. Most of the changes represent long overdue modification to keep the Federation up to speed with the status quo on the Indy fedora, but most of these changes won't really effect normal Fedora aficionados.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
Also, the colour range has been extended. I've purchased a light grey "moonstone" Fed4. I think it's a welcome addition, especially when you like the style of the Feds but don't want to look too Indy (not that there's anything wrong with that :) )

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
RE: The Fed III

I emailed Hats Direct a couple weeks ago about the Fed III and they had a few in my size (7 3/8) left available, but only in Tawny Fawn and Black. I have held off ordering one myself, because there are hats I want more, and a Fed III would require modifications to get where I want it. However, if your heart is set on the old model, I'd contact them now.

-Dave

Havana

One of the Regulars
Once I found out that the new Feds had narrower brims, I ordered what turned out to be the last Fed III available in my size (59). I got a tawny fawn model that I've creased as a C-Crown. I love it and feel very lucky to have snatched it up. I could understand them wanting to lower the crown a bit but I wish they'd left the brim alone.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Havana said:
Once I found out that the new Feds had narrower brims, I ordered what turned out to be the last Fed III available in my size (59). I got a tawny fawn model that I've creased as a C-Crown. I love it and feel very lucky to have snatched it up. I could understand them wanting to lower the crown a bit but I wish they'd left the brim alone.

Having read the post about "Hats in Melbourne" it would appear that David Morgan is now carrying an Akubra hat called the Adventurer (it having replaced an earlier hat by the same name) that is sold as an 5-1/2" open-crown, medium brown, Indy-style fedora with a dimensional brim of 3-1/8" front and back, 2-3/4" at the sides. Sounds a bit like the old Fed III, eh? It's certainly a wider brim than the new Fed IV, which is 2-1/2" at the sides.

-Dave

warbird

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Having read the post about "Hats in Melbourne" it would appear that David Morgan is now carrying an Akubra hat called the Adventurer (it having replaced an earlier hat by the same name) that is sold as an 5-1/2" open-crown, medium brown, Indy-style fedora with a dimensional brim of 3-1/8" front and back, 2-3/4" at the sides. Sounds a bit like the old Fed III, eh? It's certainly a wider brim than the new Fed IV, which is 2-1/2" at the sides.

-Dave

That Adventurer is a lot wider than the old Fed in the brim which was 2 7/8 and 2 3/4 if your measurements are correctly stated.

The Morgan is not really new, many on FL have it and ther eis an entire thread somewhere dedicated to FL members adventurers.

Personally I think I will now definitely order the new Fed IV, I liked the fed II a lot, my traditional brown is a great hat. I like the lower crown and narrower brim, the exaggeratedly tall crown being the drawback IMO to the III. I think I will get one in a grey.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
That Adventurer is a lot wider than the old Fed in the brim which was 2 7/8 and 2 3/4 if your measurements are correctly stated.

They ought to be right, I cut-and-pasted them right off the David Morgan website. I couldn't remember the old Fed III dimensions off hand, I actually thought it had a 3" non-dimensional brim. Nevertheless, if one is concerned about the new Fed IV being too narrow, this would be a decent replacement, I'd think. For example, I'd like a hat with a 5 1/2" crown and a 2 5/8" non-dimensional brim. I could have cut down a Fed III to that, but not a Fed IV. The Adventurer will probably work, however, although I am limited to a brown hat.

The Morgan is not really new, many on FL have it and ther eis an entire thread somewhere dedicated to FL members adventurers.

All I know is what was said on the thread; that this was a new hat with an old name. The website also lists it as "new."

Personally I think I will now definitely order the new Fed IV, I liked the fed II a lot, my traditional brown is a great hat. I like the lower crown and narrower brim, the exaggeratedly tall crown being the drawback IMO to the III. I think I will get one in a grey.

The Fed IV does look a great hat, just not what I'm looking for to get the Whippet look.

Sorry, BellyTank, if we've gone too far off topic.

-Dave

Havana

One of the Regulars
Fed IV 2 3/4" x 2 1/2"

Fed III 2 5/8 x 2 3/4"

DM Adventurer 3 1/8" x 2 7/8"

I favor the taller crown but not because I wear it that way. I bash mine down to a 4.5" C-crown. To do that effectively, I really need about a 5.5" open crown. I also liked the older ribbon style but most didn't. I'm sad to see the Fed III go but most people seem to favor the new version. I do wish they would offer it in a 3" cut your own brim version. That would be great.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kabuto: I have two federations (a first generation federation and a federation deluxe III) with domed tops and a Squatter with the more squared top. Trust me when I tell you the square top makes it a lot easier to keep the sides straight.
Johnny

MattJH

One Too Many
This is accurate, then?

Fed III 2 7/8 x 2 3/4"
Fed IV 2 3/4" x 2 1/2"
DM Adventurer 3 1/8" x 2 7/8"

Another question - Was there a Federation I and Federation II, or am I misunderstanding?

I had ordered a Standard Carbon Grey Federation III and made a thread about it. The thread was made within the first week of me owning it, but eventually I just didn't like it and ended up selling it on eBay. But now that I know that I'll never be able to get one again, I'm corresponding with Ron at HatsDirect to get a Deluxe in my size (in the Loden color - the only one ever available in the Deluxe model, apparently). I'd like to have another go at it with more shaping / creasing experience under my belt.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have actually seen the new Federation IV in person, standard version in brown. The change in brim dimensions AND crown height maintained the right proportions to keep the overall "look" the same. The new block shape (a very old block found in storage) looks even more "vintage" than before, and the brown color is better than the old Fed III's. Also, the ribbon is darker than the felt, rather than lighter, which many people had disliked on the III. Width is about the same. Felt is as good as ever, but a slightly better pouncing job.

I'm really torn between keeping my old III, or selling it to upgrade. I finally got a bash in Fed that I really love, but I like the new block. Tough choice, indeed.

MattJH

One Too Many
I heard back from HatsDirect. If you happen to be a 61cm or 7 5/8, they have ONE Federation Deluxe III left in Black. I got the last Loden (whew!). Just spreading the word. If you always wanted one in Deluxe, this is your last chance except for the used market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points