Fedora etiquette

Discussion in 'Hats' started by STEVIEBOY1, Mar 10, 2011.

1. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

Good Morning,

I recently purchased a Fedora hat and I have noticed when I am wearing it, other gentlemen who are also wearing a Fedora often seem to give a nod & a smile, a very pleasant gesture in my opinion, especially when standards of courtesy seem to have slipped. Kind Rgds Steve.

2. billyspew

billyspew One Too Many

Totally agree, I certainly do this. I think of it as camaraderie, rather than etiquette though!

3. Torpedo

Torpedo One Too Many

I concur. On the rare occassions I meet another fedora wearer, usually some kind of complicity gesture takes place.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Yes, there is a sense of fraternity among fedora wearers. Like when you're with your supermodel girlfriend and you cross paths with another gent and his supermodel; there's a wink and a nod.........

5. billyspew

billyspew One Too Many

:laugh:
    Totally understand that one.

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Bernie Ecclestone and Mick Jagger sprung to mind here. Along with the phrase "Isn't it amazing how much more attractive a rich guy looks". :p ;)

7. Ordinary Guy

Ordinary Guy One Too Many

I agree to ALL of the above

8. Detective_Noir

Detective_Noir One of the Regulars

9. tealseal

tealseal A-List Customer

Very interesting. It was nice to hear the bit on etiquette. Now that the hat (in whatever form) is making a comeback, hopefully the new generation of wearers will care about the behaviour that comes with it. It doesn't matter much to me if it's a nice felt or a walmart cotton stingy, since I think hatwearing needs to be encouraged, so long as it's not on your d*** head inside!
    Thanks for sharing, Detective.

10. St. Valentine

St. Valentine A-List Customer

I sincerely hope that hats will make it back into daily life and to the streets although I am sure it might take some time. Even here in Germany some singers or actors start wearing Fedoras but it´s mostly the stingy brim kind that the younger people prefer. Yesterday a young colleague of mine confessed that he likes to wear fedoras too but is quite worried that people may talk or laugh behind his back. I suppose a bit of braveness is required these days and nothing comes from nothing, as they say. To prove it to him I put on my beloved VS and off I went.... ;)

Nice video, thank you Detective_Noir!

11. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

12. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

And how long it will take restaurants and other public places to make it easier to 'stash' your hat when it's not on your head. I'm wearing my panama out this evening to dinner to a restaurant that I know full well has no clue about how to cater to hat wearers. Pity, that.

13. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

Hand it to the maitre d' /hostess whatever and tell them to take good care of it. But then, you are in So Cal, so no real need for coatrooms or a place to put outerwear; good luck.

14. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

This report is from August 2010.:)

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives A-List Customer

Hey man...when I lived in Boston, if I handed it to a maitre d' or hostess and said "Take good care of it"...I'd be surprised if it looked the same when I got it bacl...lol....Maybe it I handed them a $20 too...they might set it on a table in the kitchen...lol

But I see you're from Albany...That could be different. I know in NYC the better eating places and night-clubs are much more hat friendly....I even had my hat lightly brushed by a coat check girl; one time; while she was waiting for her tip...But that is a real rarity...Wish more places did make it easier for us though....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  16. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

Yes, and the usual nonsense about hatless Jack into the bargain...