Fedora into a Homburg?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Wesslyn, May 2, 2016.

1. Wesslyn

Wesslyn Practically Family

There's been posts about making homburgs into fedoras, but what about the other way around? Could you potentially take a fedora with a fairly stingy brim and turn it into a homburg?

2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

You'd probably want at least 2 1/2" if you're going to add a curl.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I think the brim would need to be a relatively regular width, given that the curl will eat at least 3/4" from the brimwidth.... If you can iron a homburg brim flat, though, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to curl a fedora brim.... though it would, of course, most likely lack the wide brim-binding that's normal on a Homburg.

Wesslyn likes this.
  4. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

The short answer to your question is "No". But at the end of the day, it all depends on what you expect of the result.

If you have the right flange and curling shackles, you can in principle make any brim-bound fedora into something, that would resemble a Homburg - to the untrained eye. Many would not call it a Homburg, though :)

Wesslyn likes this.
  5. Xylophile

Xylophile One of the Regulars

I'm toying with the idea of turning a Heritage Fawn Fed IV into a "Lords Hat", with an unbound edge and a small curl. I got the idea from Watson's hat shop: http://watsonshatshop.com/shop/watson-signature/. I think the sides might be a little small on the Fed though.

6. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

Watson's Signature is a Beauty , but not really a Hommie , but takes the inspiration from them .

[​IMG]
    Nice Hat !

M Hatman, Mm25 and Wesslyn like this.
  7. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

It's a very nice fedora with a pencil curl. Personally I would neither call it a Homburg nor a Lord's Hat, though :)

A small curl like that will probably take around 1/2" of brim.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Michael R. likes this.
  8. RJR

RJR

+1,unusual.

Michael R. likes this.