Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora (ish) hard hat

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
In my job I work out of an Aerial boom truck and am required to wear a hard hat. I've always hated those duck billed hard hats and recently found one on ebay that looked like I could make it like kinda like a fedora. Here it is. I put a couple of rings of black electrical tape around it to simulate a black ribbon. At least it somewhat resembles a fedora. From 30 feet away it will project a fedora look.

IMG_20070729_0001.jpg

fedoralover

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Fedora for sun protection: $20.00 to $60.00 on eBay.
Good fedora for stylish dress: $160.00 and up at a good hat shop.
Rounding out your fedora collection with one that'll protect your noggin from falling tools: Priceless.

Lee

That's a great hat! Even though my job doesn't require a hard hat, I might get one. :)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I saw a guy wearing one on a job site and decided to look on ebay and found it. The brim had a bit more curl than I wanted so I took a heat gun and warmed up the sides a little and flattened it out a touch. I actually tried painting it brown with some krylon spray paint which was supposed to be for plastic, but it was too shiny, I couldn't find any in flat brown, plus it just didn't seem to adhere very well and scratched off really easy. So I stripped it back off and just put the tape on to simulate a black ribbon. I'll wear it at work tomorrow. Here's a frontal shot, the crown has more taper than I like but I don't think I could get Art to reblock this one successfully.

IMG_20070729_0001_1.jpg

fedoralover

fatwoul

Practically Family
fedoralover said:
...The brim had a bit more curl than I wanted so I took a heat gun and warmed up the sides a little and flattened it out a touch. I actually tried painting it brown with some krylon spray paint which was supposed to be for plastic, but it was too shiny, I couldn't find any in flat brown, plus it just didn't seem to adhere very well and scratched off really easy. So I stripped it back off and just put the tape on to simulate a black ribbon...

I know I don't need to tell you, but for anybody else reading this, there should probably be a caveat here:

Painting, heating or reshaping a hardhat can affect it's integrity, and the protection it can offer.

I have to wear a hardhat for some of my work here and there, and we have to replace ours periodically, because over time the plastic becomes tired, and more prone to cracking. A lot of UK hardhats come with warnings about not applying heat or paint to them, for similar reasons.

Anyway, your hardhat looks great, fedlover. Good job with the tape.

J.B.

Practically Family
I'll bet that baby's got a ballistic-cloth sweatband, too?! :D

And best of all, no moth worries and no costly repairs! ...When you incur tool or lunch pail dings -- just slap a coat of Bondo or Red Hand over those unsightly holes and cracks and you're good to go again!
emogrinningroflgg5.gif

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Freakin' me out

Not 48 hours ago I saw a construction site and joked to my wife that I should patent a fedora hard hat ...
It really is a small world.

Anyway, imaginative engineering such as this makes the world go round. I love it! :eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The one drawback to this style is that it is heavier than the other styles. There is another cowboy style hard hat on the market that's shaped with a regular cattlemans crease and it is REALLY heavy due to all the plastic for the brim. This one is lighter than that one but it will take a while to get used to.

fedoralover

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fedoralover said:
The one drawback to this style is that it is heavier than the other styles. There is another cowboy style hard hat on the market that's shaped with a regular cattlemans crease and it is REALLY heavy due to all the plastic for the brim. This one is lighter than that one but it will take a while to get used to.

fedoralover
Let's see it on ya dude.....:D

Russ

One of the Regulars
If you do a web search for "Vulcan Cowboy Style Hard Hat" you will find a lot sources for this hat.

I like the pugaree effect with the black tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21