Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Motorcyclists: Safe Gear with a Vintage Vibe

Edward

Bartender
The bike was originally black, but the previous owner had it resprayed this colour. It makes it more closely resemble a true vintage bike I think, rather than a modern retro style. I like the colour but it's perhaps not what I might have chosen if I were given free range. I think a different colour might be in the future.

I've always adored the belted style. Over the years I've had innumerable Barbour Internationals, a beautiful unlined Trialmaster in tan canvas, Speedwear, and assorted no-brand versions. My everyday all purpose jacket is a knackered old SMU Barbour International in olive green. I wear it for riding sometimes too, layered over an armoured Kevlar shirt.

That's what I wore at the weekend when I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours on a friend's Bobber.

Made for a fitting ensemble.

IMG_20211025_134918876_HDR2.jpg

I've tried leather options in this style too, but agree with you that it's harder to get right. I once had to be physically restrained from buying a Barbour X Alexander Leathers (? I think, not sure) in prosperously heavy oxblood (cordovan?) hide. It was a beautiful tank.

Personally, for a leather version to work for me it needs to for far slimmer than they usually tend to be cut. This style often has a wide sleeve, which breaks in better for me in waxed cotton than in leather. Something akin to the fit of a Belstaff Panther might be nice - if they ever did an armoured variant.

The Bobber is a stunner; that one in particular really captures the look of a vintage bike much more so than the 'all black' version I've seen.

Yeah, Alexander Leathers / Simmons Bilt were outsourced to produce a run of leather ones for Barbour. It wasn't marketed under anything other than the Barbour brand, though. I believe AL/SB, although a fairly small operation, do a fair bit of outsourced manufacture under other brand names. That version look quite good, presumably using patterns supplied by Barbour. AL did used to (not looked at their site in a long time, may still) have a belted jacket in their range, but it was all... 'off'. I remember they did it with a shirt-style collar, and the pockets were oversized which gave it an odd look. They did, at least back in the Will Lauder days, have a strange obsession with adding oversized and/or extraneous pockets. I suppose that was them seeking to put their own spin on the designs, but for me it didn't work.

barnabus

One Too Many
The Bobber is a stunner; that one in particular really captures the look of a vintage bike much more so than the 'all black' version I've seen.

I'm very fortunate to have a friend who's so generous with his things. I've ridden that V4R as well, but it's not for me!

The Bobber is quite heavily, but unobtrusively, modified - but I think it's the seat that makes it. A beautiful triangle of vintage tan leather that evokes a real history.

Edward

Bartender
I'm very fortunate to have a friend who's so generous with his things. I've ridden that V4R as well, but it's not for me!

The Bobber is quite heavily, but unobtrusively, modified - but I think it's the seat that makes it. A beautiful triangle of vintage tan leather that evokes a real history.

Yes! The standard design is very 'modern' a la modern, blacked-out Harleys, which I suppose must be its direct competition. The seat is definitely one of those touches that takes a very modern bike and gives it a much older vibe. Sort of reminiscent of the Harley they used for Mutt in the last Indiana Jones picture, which was a new bike modified to look late fifties. The seat is definitely the killer-touch that makes it. If I was ever looking for a 'big' bike, that's exactly the sort as would tempt me.

Herresbach

Familiar Face
My bad weather/cold day riding outfit with a vintage vibe is the Lewis Mudlarker combined with an Ortema amoured shirt (Level 2) underneath. Wearing the shirt with my leather jackets as well. Since it‘s a level 2 shirt with back and chest protector it does add some bulk but it fits under my leather jackets I use for casual wear, even the slimer ones.

235887D2-A34D-4491-ADB1-7341D0E1812B.jpeg
C06CC902-C15C-4182-BD47-C263F0C0AA2C.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
My bad weather/cold day riding outfit with a vintage vibe is the Lewis Mudlarker combined with an Ortema amoured shirt (Level 2) underneath. Wearing the shirt with my leather jackets as well. Since it‘s a level 2 shirt with back and chest protector it does add some bulk but it fits under my leather jackets I use for casual wear, even the slimer ones.

View attachment 378227 View attachment 378225

That Lewis looks really nice - not often you hear as much about their non-leather jackets, but that - waxed cotton, I'm assuming? - one looks really nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner