Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge really growing!!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes true, but COW has done some cuts on inactive users several times also. I don't think MK has done that here yet. But yes, it's really growing. That's awesome!!!!!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Sorry it wasn't meant as being mean. I was just looking at it from a scientific-ish point of view, as with the cuts I'm not sure if apples to apples can be compared. Nothing rude or mean meant. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I agree, the FL has been growing with amazing speed and am happy to see such growth here.

Mycroft

One Too Many
ITG said:
Sorry it wasn't meant as being mean. I was just looking at it from a scientific-ish point of view, as with the cuts I'm not sure if apples to apples can be compared. Nothing rude or mean meant. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

No, no I mean the cuts not you, sorry I did not clarify myself(Got to work on that ;) ) Cheers.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
No I knew exactly what you meant and that's what I was responding to. It's hard to compare the membership numbers when one site has done cuts on several occasions and the other hasn't. That's what I meant by apples to apples.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Really, that is kinda mean.

Not really. COW generates alot of traffic and thus its database grows very large. when one has to move and manage it, it becomes a real bear.
We simply prune out the inactive users: people who've never posted,
(lurkers, I hate lurkers!) people who haven't logged-in, for say, in over a year (and yes, there are almost 500 of those people!)

So Mycroft, I hope if you're a member of COW, you don't wind up on the cutting room floor! ;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Dalexs said:
Not really. COW generates alot of traffic and thus its database grows very large. when one has to move and manage it, it becomes a real bear.
We simply prune out the inactive users: people who've never posted,
(lurkers, I hate lurkers!) people who haven't logged-in, for say, in over a year (and yes, there are almost 500 of those people!)

So Mycroft, I hope if you're a member of COW, you don't wind up on the cutting room floor! ;)

Ah, I see, thanks for explaining, the "lurkers" slow down your servers as well?

Dalexs

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Ah, I see, thanks for explaining, the "lurkers" slow down your servers as well?

No, we just don't like lurkers. Why join a message board if you're not going to
participate? [huh]
Lurkers ae still part of the database, making it bigger, and causing more draw
on the server.
Besides, we usually give fair warning when we do a prune of members.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Indy has always been popular and will continue to be, but I think since vintage has a more broader range in style's, as opposed to just what Indy wore, it will in the long run draw a larger base of interest and I think that's why this forum is so popular and is experiencing such growth.

I enjoy both forums and love the Indy fedora and jacket, but find more commonality here overall. Since for instance, Indy never wore a Silver Belly Open Road or a Stetson Playboy and heaven forbid if we saw him in a Dobbs Gay Prince. However I like all those fedora's and have the opportunity to see them and many other varieties here.

regards fedoralover

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Actually.....

.....I have pruned since the start of the site. When COW first started, it allowed anyone and everyone to join with hotmail, yahoo and other free addresses. After John put me in charge I created a policy of no free e-mail addreses because of the trolls that were causing grief there. I also did the first pruning.....that I know of.....at COW too. At first John wasn't sure if that was such a good idea, but he seemed pleased with the results......or perhaps he just allowed me to do job. COW is still growing and has a great team of moderators which is why it is a great community that I still enjoy visiting.

When I started The Fedora Lounge that was the policy from the beginning. I cut back on zero posters every now and again. I should say too that when I decided to open this joint I had no idea that it would become so popular. It began as a kind of sidekick to COW. Most of the first members here came from there. Being the former Admin, I was well known at COW so people that liked the golden era that Indy is from came on by and signed up. It is funny, now the newbies at COW have no idea who I am. So we were just a little group that was slowly growing and finding our identity when I hooked up with the folks from Atomic Magazine. They started plugging us and the numbers strarted jumping. Then we hit Google's radar and now people are coming from every direction. We are grow 100 members a month and gaining speed.

At any rate, I am thrilled to see the growth. We haven't leveled off yet either. For every member online there are two lurkers checking it out. We have a long ways to go before we peak. Having great Bartenders makes a big difference. Thanks to them, we have great content and a very civil community here that has earned a very positive reputation. People always comment on what a great atmosphere we have and how relaxed it is.

Please forgive a proud father for gushing.

You guys are the best! :cheers1:

There is no comparison between the two sites. They are two different venues and that is fine. I am a member of COW but I post and look around there very seldomly so I am probably not a member anymore I guess. I will have to log on one of these days and check. :p
Thanks MK for your work on both sites. I visit The loung emore often for the same reasons that Fed mentioned. I collect everything not just stuff connected to Indy. :p This site has also opened more doors of collecting in different areas that I had not thought of. Perhaps it has also spurred a growth in the vintage lifestyle and vintage wear. One thing for sure, I know there is at least one tailor who works differently now. :p

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
I would first like to thank MK for setting up the BEST FORUM ON THE WEB, I have learned so much this past year, just by talking and posting here. :cheers1: and if you are still thursty I will buy as many as you need.
Skull! (British refernce)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Dalexs said:
And FWIW, COW has almost 3 times the post count! :p
(oh yeah, and THANKS MK!!!)

True.....but 2/3 of those are "I JUST TOOK THE PLUNGE AND ORDERED A WESTED!!!!!!".

Just so that no one gets the wrong idea, Dalex and I are friends.....as are most of the mods there. We are just poking a little fun. We are all on the same team. I love the COW site and Raiders of the Lost Ark will always be one of my favorite movies. I cheer them on and support them in every way.

Michaelson

One Too Many
May as well. When a 'vintage hat' or suit discussion breaks out at COW, we stop it and send them here, so a lot of the stuff you find here was started there, then shuttled to you from the Indygear site. It happens almost daily. I should know, as I'm moderating at COW almost all day, everyday but weekends.

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ