Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FEDORAS IN SELF DEFENCE

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Here is another aspect of the use of fedoras: self defence!

-011.jpg
[/IMG]

Mulceber

Practically Family
You know the sad thing? In a combat situation like that, I think I'd actually have to THINK about whether to ruin my hat or take the knife myself.lol -M

Torpedo

One Too Many
Actually, when I had self defense/arrest technique formation at the Police School, it was suggested to use the service cap, throwing it against your opponent, then tackling him taking profit of his momentarily distraction.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Torpedo said:
Actually, when I had self defense/arrest technique formation at the Police School, it was suggested to use the service cap, throwing it against your opponent, then tackling him taking profit of his momentarily distraction.

Like in the pre 1459 AD mauscript of fencing master Hans Thalhofer ;)

P1090476.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sword canes are available at John Helmer's in Portland, Oregon. I kid you not. I have almost bought one every time I have gone, but I don't need the trouble, or the temptation.

Feraud

Bartender
Sword canes certainly look intimidating but training with a good stick can get the job done and possibly save you some legal issues.
Not to go too off subject but I do love the topic..
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2002/jmanlyart_wolf_0202.htm
Singlestick fencing was widely practised throughout England, the British Commonwealth, and the U.S.A. until the early part of the 20th century, often in tandem with the other popular recreations of the salle d'armes, including foil, duelling-sword (epee), bayonet and quarterstaff fencing. Two annual English Singlestick competitions were instituted between 1880-1900; one held in June as part of the Grand Military Tournament, and the other hosted by the German Gymnasium in December. Thus, by the turn of the twentieth century, Singlestick fencing had become established as an internationally popular combat sport, drawing from the intertwined traditions of rustic cudgel-play, military drill and the private fencing academy.
Holmespic.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Sword canes certainly look intimidating but training with a good stick can get the job done and possibly save you some legal issues.
Not to go too off subject but I do love the topic..
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2002/jmanlyart_wolf_0202.htm

Holmespic.jpg

Yes. Using your fedora and your cane as a stick allows the following explanation:
"Mr. Feraud just didn't know what to do, your honor. The man charged him and Mr. Feraud's hat flew off his head, and naturally he raised his cane in self defense. It is true that the assailant had no weapon, but everything happened very fast and Mr. Feraud did only what was natural. We ask the Judge to consider this a misdemeanor at best."

Whereas using a sword cane allows ONLY the following explanation:
"Mr Feraud had a hidden deadly weapon which he used against an unarmed man, who is now dead. Murder."

jwalls

Vendor
Like most of you I'm tempted by the sword cane, however I've found the cane I made using a graphite golf club shaft works very well for a quick thrust and parry.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I've always found that thrusting works better with a bowler than with a fedora. The softer felts just don't hold up as well in battle.

Is it as it appears? Have you been bowled over by that style?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
His book on self-defence with a cane is quite good and its a fun read nowadays. I wondered about that hat thing as well, it could work but I'd probably waste too much time thinking about the hat getting damaged and then flub the defence...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112