Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt Hats and Humid Weather

chicken1616

New in Town
Even though I grew up in the South, and lived there off and on as an adult, I have not lived in real humidity since Hawai'i 1996. There is a possibility within the next year or two, we may move to Eastern Carolina. I would like to see some general thoughts and observations on wearing felts in humid, hot weather. I have no problem with them here on Colorado's Front Range in the summer. I have seen 1% humidity at 100 deg. F.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Even though I grew up in the South, and lived there off and on as an adult, I have not lived in real humidity since Hawai'i 1996. There is a possibility within the next year or two, we may move to Eastern Carolina. I would like to see some general thoughts and observations on wearing felts in humid, hot weather. I have no problem with them here on Colorado's Front Range in the summer. I have seen 1% humidity at 100 deg. F.
This topic has been kicked around a few times in different threads. A good number of folks prefer to wear straws in the heat. In the grand scheme of things it comes down to whatever the person is comfortable with. Me personally, I too lived in the south. I now live in Ohio where it doesn't necessarily get too incredibly hot in the summer, but it's usually humid. I love the heat, but I'm not one to make myself feel hotter than I already am. I work outside and for the past several years I've only worn cotton hats that quickly turned into beaters. I have a SunBody straw or order, so that will be my next summertime shade. I usually keep my felt in reserve for when the temps are below 80 degrees, or not doing anything strenuous otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Face it: in hot/humid conditions you're gonna sweat with anything on your head. But I have found that my Akubra Cattleman - light sand color with no lining and six vent grommets - is no hotter than my Stetson panama. Ventilation is key.

All my fedoras and other hats with linings and without vent holes get put away from May 15 to Sept 15. (The once well known "Straw Hat Day" and "Felt Hat Day" from back when everybody wore hats.)

Face it: in hot/humid conditions you're gonna sweat with anything on your head. But I have found that my Akubra Cattleman - light sand color with no lining and six vent grommets - is no hotter than my Stetson panama. Ventilation is key.

All my fedoras and other hats with linings and without vent holes get put away from May 15 to Sept 15. (The once well known "Straw Hat Day" and "Felt Hat Day" from back when everybody wore hats.)
I don't have hard and fast dates as I declare them when I have decided. Felts even in our mild summers still induce a lot of sweat and being really picky about my hats I hate like hell to sweat stain them. So I even have a pecking order with my straws and wear the cheaper/beater ones in the heat and let them get soaked and stained.......I save my good hats for short stays and occasions! I know.....even my wife just shakes her head.

Reactions: RJR

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I wear felt almost year round in southeast Louisiana. It gets a bit warm at times, but I generally like those hats. However, if I am working in the yard, I will shift to a straw or Tilley.

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points