Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

felt in summer

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I disagree. A true milan sans shellac is cooler than felt, in my opinion. Finding one without shellac is the trick, though. The only place I know to get them is Optimo.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
A good moment to ask, why? Why does everyone but Optimo make them with shelac? I have the Optimo one, it is much nicer than hats with shelac. I have not worn them but they seem like they would be unbearably warm.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Most modern Milan-style hats are made of a paper straw that is shellacked so the paper will not fall apart when it gets wet. Optimo's Milan hats are made from a real straw fiber, which won't fall apart if it gets wet, hence the lack of shellac.

duggap

Banned
Well, I have a Panama with about 500 WPI and the new Art Fawcett tropic aire ultra lightweight felt and I really can't tell the difference when I wear them. If it is raining or, if rain is predicted, I wear felt instead of straw. To me, the felt is as cool as the straw. Remember that in the Panama the more WPI the less air circulation can occur. They can make a Panama that will hold water.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks, duggap - I've often wondered how a high-quality panama with a real tight weave could also be cool. If buying a 'Summer' hat, and cool is what you want, then maybe the more affordable weave is actually the better hat for that situation. I have a miller milan (shellac'd) and I think it is cooler than my lined felt fedoras - I don't have a lite felt fedora, and based on what I am reading here, maybe I need one of those . . .

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've wondered about this, too, and I had the suspicion that a tighly woven panama would probably not breathe as well as the looser weaves. Suspicion confirmed.

dean

Bebop

Practically Family
I think the fact that straw looks like it is cooler in warm weather and felt looks a lot warmer may have something to do with why most people believe it is. I find that any hat warms my noggin. The coolest is no hat at all. After that, I feel like I am splitting hairs.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
Bebop, I think you are correct, in the shade. In the bright sun however, a hat that breathes has the edge. At least this is what I have observed in the few weeks I have been wearing my Optimo Milan.

Can someone elaborate on the Art Fawcett light weight felts? How are they built? Are they unlined?

AlanC

David Bresch said:
Can someone elaborate on the Art Fawcett light weight felts? How are they built? Are they unlined?

They can be if you choose it. When I got mine Art hadn't gotten his lining pads in yet, so mine is fully lined. Although cool, I don't rate it as cool as my Panama Bob Cuencas (low end, very airy). In the summer heat and humidity of Dixie I've rarely worn my Tropic-Aire. I'm going to send it back to Art for a lining removal and a retrofit of the top pad only. I know that will cool it down somewhat.

Honestly, though, I don't think I'll be wearing felt when it's 90+ degrees with equivalent humidity, although an unlined Tropic-Aire that was vented might get the job done. I can't wait for it to cool down so I can put the Tropic-Aire to good use.

bolthead

Bebop said:
I think the fact that straw looks like it is cooler in warm weather and felt looks a lot warmer may have something to do with why most people believe it is. I find that any hat warms my noggin. The coolest is no hat at all. After that, I feel like I am splitting hairs.
This is so true, I think you hit the nail right on the head, as they say.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I often wear a light colored, thin felt (i.e. Open Road) in the summer. It's quite comfortable. If it's super hot and the sun is really beating down, your hair will be wet when you remove your hat. This is true, whether it's felt or straw.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
They can be if you choose it. When I got mine Art hadn't gotten his lining pads in yet, so mine is fully lined. Although cool, I don't rate it as cool as my Panama Bob Cuencas (low end, very airy). In the summer heat and humidity of Dixie I've rarely worn my Tropic-Aire. I'm going to send it back to Art for a lining removal and a retrofit of the top pad only. I know that will cool it down somewhat.

Honestly, though, I don't think I'll be wearing felt when it's 90+ degrees with equivalent humidity, although an unlined Tropic-Aire that was vented might get the job done. I can't wait for it to cool down so I can put the Tropic-Aire to good use.

In the one day I've had my Art Tropic Aire, I found it to be comfortably cool in mid 80's temperature. I had no problems wearing it around Santa Fe. Mine is unlined though with the crown pad, so that does definitely make a difference.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've found that when a high dew point is present, ventilation is required, no matter what the material.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I'm quite curious, being a new hat wearer. If warm day / summer / tropical climate is usually related directly to wearing panama / straw hat... what about those adventurer hats which are made of fur felt, say the legendary Adventurebilt or Akubra Fed? Aren't they too hot to wear in warm days?

And although not too related, what about in the Old West era? I believe these townfolks are wearing complete suit and hats (very unlikely straw hat) even though the sun is shining brightly. Aren't they feel hot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ