Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt integrity

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A question for the blocking gurus,

I was considering having my 1983 Royal Stetson fedora reblocked from 7 1/4 to 7 3/8, but noticed a potential problem. I always kept a fairly tight pinch on the front, and now the felt near the top of the pinch seems a little weak. I'm afraid that stetching it might rip it.

Are there any options for strengthening the felt, or am I better off relegating it to a display model? I haven't been able to wear it for years because it's too small, but I won't get rid of it, for it holds too many memories for me.

Thanks,

Brad Bowers

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
how are you planning to

How are you planning to stretch it? Is it just too snug? Or do you want to change the crown height and brim width?

You can stretch the hat to fit and use steam and gentle (little at a time) turn of the handle on the hat stretcher. Get one of the good vintage ones that are on ebay all the time.

If you want to redo the entire hat, I'd sent it out to have it professionally done. Remember, the sweatband needs to be replaced if it becomes too short, the lining must come out or you will iron seam patterns thru the felt, and lastly, the felt comes from somewhere: if you raise the crown the brim will become narrower.

If this is a 1983 hat, it may not be the best quality felt.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Probably just stretch it, as it's too snug. The crown is short enough as it is. Does stretching it increase the evident taper? I would think so, with the base being increased without the crown.

I'll probably leave it alone. It's currently the nicest hat I own, even though I can't wear it. Can't afford an Optimo, but I have been eyeing the vintage hats on Art's website, and I've also got one on the way from Lee.

Thanks, Andykev.

Brad Bowers

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Does stretching it increase the evident taper? I would think so, with the base being increased without the crown.

Hi Brad, yes, it will increase the taper, but with only one size to stretch, it shouldn't be significant. Andy is right about how to do the stretch, but what isn't being put into the mix is that there are different shapes of stretchers also. If you use a stretcher that is too narrow you can inadvertantly make it a long oval. The best stretchers are 4 independent sides as opposed to 2. Since these don't appear often I would consider them scarce. I tried to order some a few years ago and was told the stock had run out and they weren't being made anymore. That company ( the retailer) is now out of business so my search has come to an abrupt end. Anyone out there know where these can be bought? Fedora, any suggestions?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keep

LOOKING for them on Ebay, as the best are the 4 section turn-the-handle to evenly increase the size of the hat.

I am lucky as I have a L.O. head shape and the stretchers I have do that job nicely. Also, THANKS ART!!, for selling me your electric hat stretcher. It REALLY does the trick....and can BURN the hat if I screw it up. Gently warm the metal dome, then a twist of the handle to snug the sweatband does the trick. And Art, aren't these more the long oval type also? I have my "giant" manual hat stretcher which looks like a melon would fit on it (not really). I think I read somewhere that most North American males are Long Oval...is that so?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Andy, yes I believe you are right. I haven't read that, just through practical experience. I guess I'm gonna have to arm wrestle you if one comes up on ebay, no, wait, can't beat you at that, umm, how about...

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Arn Wrestle?

Listen buddy. First I catch you out today with no HAT, then you tell me you weigh about what I did in High School, and you are three inches taller? I know I gotta keep the weight on for ....well you know, but (Shhhhhh) I DO need to drop a few pounds (anyone read Dr. Phil's book)???

Say, didn't the cold air on your noggin tell you the chapeau was in and you were out?

Fedora

Vendor
Art wrote:"Fedora, any suggestions?"
Fraid not fellers. You guys know way more than I do about the equipment, etc. Just call me "ears", as I will be listening with rapt attention whenever you guys talk. How else ya gonna learn?
:D My knowledge is basically limited to the Indy fedoras, but the Indy fedora got me interested in vintage hats, and hatmaking in general. I feel honored that you would include this old country boy in discussions. regards, Fedora

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points