Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

female clothing sizes (made in the 1940's-WWII era) to clothing sizes of modern day

K

kpreed

Anyone know of a way to convert (other then trying it on) female clothing sizes (made in the 1940's-WWII era) to clothing sizes of modern day?
Thanks.
Patty

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Pattern sizes are 4 sizes smaller, a32in bust is a 1940's size 14 and a 2009 size 10. I don't know if RTW sizes are exactly the same, but it might give you a good place to start.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I found this website that gives you a clothing conversion chart for vintage sizes and modern sizes. Seems to me there is also a thread at Fedora all about this but I couldn't find it.[huh] I hope this helps.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
In fifties' sizes, what is a 36" bust? I'm having an argument with my boyfriend about Marilyn Monroe being a "size 14" which he is insisting is a modern 14 and, well, I doubt it.

I had thought it shifted in the fifties and then again in the seventies? That site only has "pre-70s" as one category.

I am a 4 in modern pants and a 6-8 in modern tops (the 36" is me!) so I think I'd be an 18 up top and the 14 below?

raven_retro

New in Town
Viola said:
In fifties' sizes, what is a 36" bust? I'm having an argument with my boyfriend about Marilyn Monroe being a "size 14" which he is insisting is a modern 14 and, well, I doubt it.

I think Monroe was a modern day size 8 to 10 (at her most voluptuous). I would understand 14 if she was taller, but that isn't the case. Your boyfriend is totally wrong though, I've fitted enough women in jeans when I used to work retail to know.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The best way to know what sizes were during those times is to look at sewing patterns from that era.

Vanity sizing began to happen in the mid 50s where a size 20 became a 40" bust instead of 38" which it had been for 30+ years.

This is also the time that conformity took a back seat and sizing began to be whatever designers wanted it to be.

You wont find a text book definition, and once again, the best thing to do in sizing is go by bust size, not label size. :)

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:

I had thought it shifted in the fifties and then again in the seventies? That site only has "pre-70s" as one category.

I am a 4 in modern pants and a 6-8 in modern tops (the 36" is me!) so I think I'd be an 18 up top and the 14 below?
Your BF is way wrong. Point him to: http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

I'm a 38 up top and usually wear a vintage 16. So do with that what you will.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
raven_retro said:
I think Monroe was a modern day size 8 to 10 (at her most voluptuous). I would understand 14 if she was taller, but that isn't the case. Your boyfriend is totally wrong though, I've fitted enough women in jeans when I used to work retail to know.

I heard she would have been a modern day size 4.

raven_retro

New in Town
SweetieStarr said:
I heard she would have been a modern day size 4.

She could have very well been a size 4 when her career began. One thing to note is that she did fluctuate in size. But, I don't doubt that she was 4/6 at one point.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
lol
Sizing numbers are irrelevant. They just are. You ladies are trying to conclude something that has no ridged guideline.

Want to know Miss Monroe's size, get the dimensions on one of her later garments, and pair that with measurements of todays commercial sizes. So in todays world she would be a size X. In 1985, she would be a size Y, in 1975, she would be a size Z. See what Im getting at ;)

LD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bizarre

NicknNora said:
I found this website that gives you a clothing conversion chart for vintage sizes and modern sizes. Seems to me there is also a thread at Fedora all about this but I couldn't find it.[huh] I hope this helps.

I think that must be modern PATTERN sizes, not clothing sizes on that chart. I am a 14 clothing size, and according to that chart, I would be a 20 or 22 modern size? I don't think so...
It only shows up to 43" bust or 44" bust, so for you smaller gals, it could be useful.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
I don't. Christina Hendricks, the voluptuous gal on Mad Men is a size 4, and look at how "fat" people make her out to be.

Are you sure she's a four? I've stood side by side with her, and I'd have put her in a 6 or very small 8. I think it's the curves that really make her look "bodacious." I don't think they point out that meaning that she's fat-- she's far from it. The more controversial thing is that she accentuates what the good lord gave her, whereas modern styles in the recent past haven't allowed for the nipped waist to really accentuate hips and bust of other starlets as they do on Miss Hendricks.

I'd say one of the most important measurements to look at is the waist. You can take the bust and hips in, but you've really got to be careful when it comes to the waist-- it's easy to make smaller, but very difficult to make larger.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Miss Bella, LOVE the new(ish?) avatar!

I'm a 38/30 current and wear a vintage 16 ... consistent in everything from about 1938 to about 1964. When I was closer to a 36/28 1/2, I wore a lot of size 14 1/2 clothes from the era.

Marilyn was a vintage size TWELVE at her largest. This is totally small, I sell a lot of 12's and they tend to be snug on my very svelte but curvy brunette model.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Your BF is way wrong. Point him to: http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

I'm a 38 up top and usually wear a vintage 16. So do with that what you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk