Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fictional characters defined by their hats

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
There are counless instances in literature where caracters are closely associated with their headwear (think Sherlock Holmes, for example) but this struck me forcibly when I recently reread one of my favorite books, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. In the first few pages, key characters--including Satan--are all charcterized through their choices of headwear:

"At the hour of the hot spring sunset two citizens appeared at the
Patriarch's Ponds. One of them, approximately forty years old, dressed in a
grey summer suit, was short, dark-haired, plump, bald, and carried his
respectable fedora hat in his hand. His neatly shaven face was adorned with
black horn-rimmed glasses of a supernatural size. The other, a
broad-shouldered young man with tousled reddish hair, his checkered cap
cocked back on his head, was wearing a cowboy shirt, wrinkled white trousers
and black sneakers."

"And here the sweltering air thickened before him, and a transparent
citizen of the strangest appearance wove himself out of it. A peaked
jockey's cap on his little head, a short checkered jacket also made of air."

And even the Devil himself wears a beret:

"He was wearing an expensive grey suit and imported shoes of a matching colour. His grey beret was cocked rakishly over one ear; under his arm he carried a stick with a
black knob shaped like a poodle's head. [13] He looked to be a little over
forty. Mouth somehow twisted. Clean-shaven. Dark-haired. Right eye black,
left - for some reason - green. Dark eyebrows, but one higher than the
other. In short, a foreigner."

What a different world..... Any other fictional hat-wearers come to mind?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
It is brilliant and was the inspiration for the Rolling Stones' song, Sympathy for the Devil. Might be better suited to the What are you reading section.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Lest we not forget:

"Fedora" comes from the play of the same name written by Frenchman Victorien Sardou, the the master of the well-made play and member of the French Academy. Bonus: Did you know he also wrote La Tosca, the basis of Puccini's later opera?

"Trilby' comes from the 1894 novel of the same name by Paris-born George Louis Palmella Busson du Maurier, and Trilby is the name of it heroine. Bonus: His son, Sir Gerald, starred in the popular dramatic adaptation of Trilby in London.

Neither hat visually appeared, of course, until the written work was produced on stage for theater-goers to see. Now, what I want to know is the answer to the burning question: What did these original property hats look like so that we may determine exactly what the definitive shapes of the fedora and trilby are?

Some people who saw the plays surely must remember. They may be dead, which brings us to the seance.

Seriously, does anyone here know if there are photos or any other evidence such as playbill illustrations or posters that would address this issue?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
OK, I'll toss out a couple...

The really obvious one, Indiana Jones and his fedora. lol lol lol

The Lone Ranger: his sun-bleached white hat.

The Green Hornet: His green fedora.

Kato: His chauffeur's cap.

Lots of others out there...

Cheers,
Tom

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In terms of fedora-wearing fictional characters, here's a list of who comes to mind:

Indiana Jones (very obvious, yes)
Fred C. Dobbs (Bogart's character)
Daisuke Jigen (a fedora-wearing character in the anime Lupin III)
Inspector Koichi Zenigata (a fedora-wearing detective from Lupin III)
James Bond (well, sometimes at least)
Dick Tracy (another pretty obvious one)
Superman/Clark Kent (well, at least he used to)
Batman/Bruce Wayne (I think I remember seeing old comic pictures of him with one)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sherlock Holmes and his deerstalker (until the latest incarnation)
Charlie Chaplin's little tramp
The Monopoly banker
Robin Hood & Peter Pan
Santa Claus
The Mad Hatter
Buster Keaton's various characters in the pork pie hats
Steed in his bowler
The Shadow in his Fedora
Dick Tracy in his yellow Fedora
Uncle Sam in the red, white & blue top hat
Zorro in the black flat-crowned pork-pie-ish with pompoms around the brim - the proper name of which escapes me at the moment.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
Zorro in the black flat-crowned pork-pie-ish with pompoms around the brim - the proper name of which escapes me at the moment.

I just wanted to point something out about Zorro's hat. If I'm right, it's a Spanish riding-style or bolero hat. It could also be considered a type of gaucho hat though, I think.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To me, Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) and Augutus McCrae's (Robert Duvall) hats are indelibly etched in my mind, especially Gus' hat, which is called a 'Gus' by pretty much everyone who manufactures such a hat.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Popeye Doyle's porkpie in the movie "The French Connection."

250px-French22.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Alex Oviatt said:
There are counless instances in literature where caracters are closely associated with their headwear (think Sherlock Holmes, for example) but this struck me forcibly when I recently reread one of my favorite books, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. In the first few pages, key characters--including Satan--are all charcterized through their choices of headwear:
Alex Oviatt said:
I recently reread one of my favorite books, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.

Dear Alex I loved the book and I also had the DVD on the series that the Russians made about the book, directed by Vladimir Bortko.
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61s7jRmT6M

Bulgakov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bulgakov was a real master of writing and this Satanic apparition in Moscow is a good hint of how he perceived Stalinism. His only "luck" was that Stalin enjoyed his works.

There is a lot of autobiography in his chef d'oeuvre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_Margarita.

It is definitely worth reading. Bulgakov was born in 1891 into an intellectual family so he was dressed according to their code and dressed his characters accordingly.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
gus hat

Isn't it interesting that it's a Gus hat, rather than a Tom Horn hat ... Steve McQueen's earlier western ,,, terrific movie and great hat, too.

I knew several guys who reblocked old Stetsons with that center crease after Tom Horn came out.

McQueen's hat in The Magnificent Seven is great too, and Nevada Smith.

Cool guy, cool hats.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Alex Oviatt said:
There are counless instances in literature where caracters are closely associated with their headwear (think Sherlock Holmes, for example) but this struck me forcibly when I recently reread one of my favorite books, Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.

Wow! Now that's such a great book! I've read it several times and it never gets boring. Wonderful work! But I have to say that I don't know too many people who have read it even just once.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Carl Kolchak and his stingy pork-pie.

J. Wellington Wimpy.

The Cat in the Hat.

Red Skelton as:
1: Clem Kadiddlehopper
2: George Appleby
3: San Fernando Red
4: Deadeye
5: Cauliflower McPugg

Ed Norton

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Bravo on the Skelton list, Salty!

I grew up on characters in hats. In addition to Red;
Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka,
Goofy,
Weird Harold (Fat Albert),
The Man in Yellow Hat (Curious George),
Elmer Fudd,
Laurel and Hardy,
Jake Cutter (Tales of the Gold Monkey),
Indiana Jones,
and pretty much every male character on F-Troop!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Philip Marlowe is a proper "golden era" character who I always associate a fedora. He got me into them too so I take my hat off to Raymond Chandler.

The character makes a point about being respectable since he emphasises how he makes an effort to wear a clean suit, shoes and pocket hankerchief, and he is of course always with his hat (though he abuses it by using it as a glove to smash windows).

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Dear Alex I loved the book and I also had the DVD on the series that the Russians made about the book, directed by Vladimir Bortko.
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61s7jRmT6M

Bulgakov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bulgakov was a real master of writing and this Satanic apparition in Moscow is a good hint of how he perceived Stalinism. His only "luck" was that Stalin enjoyed his works.

There is a lot of autobiography in his chef d'oeuvre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_Margarita.

It is definitely worth reading. Bulgakov was born in 1891 into an intellectual family so he was dressed according to their code and dressed his characters accordingly.

Thanks for these links, HungaryTom. I am going to check them out. He also wrote an interesting story called "The Heart of a Dog" and a great play called "The White Guard."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points