Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Jackets

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The have a half belt called the Bruno that is very sharp with a nice slim fit. Someone posted some pics here quite a while back. I find the website a bit cumbersome, but the jacket appears to be worth the modest price.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice folks on there. That half-belt is a reasonable copy of the Californian Sportswear worn by Bruce Willis in Surrogates. The jackets are made in India or Pakistan, just like those other film/TV replica jackets made by generally well regarded Magnoli Clothiers.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree they seem to be a nice bunch over there but I've always been a little reluctant to order anything without knowing what the quality of the jackets is like.. Are they essentially mall jacket quality?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I agree they seem to be a nice bunch over there but I've always been a little reluctant to order anything without knowing what the quality of the jackets is like.. Are they essentially mall jacket quality?

The customer testimonials are very positive...if they are legit. Always have my doubts.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the testimonials are legit. Rick appears to be a straight shooter and a good bloke. But what you might question is some of the customer's familiarity with quality jackets. It's easy to think a particular jacket is fantastic if you have only ever seen a lambskin Wilson's before. The FJ fans sometimes appreciate different qualities in a jacket - like screen accuracy. My understanding is that the jackets vary according to the hide and pattern chosen and that at their best they are a few notches up from a mall jacket.

Last edited:
I've had one filmjackets.com jacket, bought it used over eBay and I have to say, it was much closer to something you'd expect from any of the top manufacturers than anything any mall has to offer. Brown heavyweight steer cafe racer it was, thick, heavy with superb construction quality. As good a riding jacket as any I've seen and frankly, it had always bothered me since what the hell for did I pay those extra $500 to a certain other manufacturer for what was basically the same jacket. Had to let it go though because of the short sleeves (from my understanding, these jackets are also custom tailored).

What Seb Lucas said, filmjackets.com is all about screen accuracy and that's how Rick chooses hides for some particular jacket they are replicating, not just to get the colour right, but also so that the jacket would appear to fit, drape, crease and fold the same way as it does on an actor in a movie, so some jackets might not be as tough as the others.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I've had one filmjackets.com jacket, bought it used over eBay and I have to say, it was much closer to something you'd expect from any of the top manufacturers than anything any mall has to offer. Brown heavyweight steer cafe racer it was, thick, heavy with superb construction quality. As good a riding jacket as any I've seen and frankly, it had always bothered me since what the hell for did I pay those extra $500 to a certain other manufacturer for what was basically the same jacket. Had to let it go though because of the short sleeves (from my understanding, these jackets are also custom tailored).

What Seb Lucas said, filmjackets.com is all about screen accuracy and that's how Rick chooses hides for some particular jacket they are replicating, not just to get the colour right, but also so that the jacket would appear to fit, drape, crease and fold the same way as it does on an actor in a movie, so some jackets might not be as tough as the others.

How interesting! These people might be worth further investigation.

Cole

One of the Regulars
I own two jackets from Rick and think that from a value for money point of view you get a whole lot of bang for your bug. I also own jackets from Aero, Vanson, Belstaff, Oceandrive Leather and some other companys and know a quality jacket when I have it in my hands.

Of course the filmjacket jackets don't play in the league of Aero, Vanson, Eastman, Schott etc., but considering the fact, that you pay less then half the price of an Aero jacket you get a very high quality jacket from Rick. My latest purchase from him, the so called Warhero jacket (War of the Wolrds movie), is my favorite leather jacket at the moment. Here are two pictures of it more or less right out of the box.

fjwh1.jpg

fjwh2.jpg

Cole, that is a beautiful Hero jacket! Get some dirt on those stripes and you've essentially saved yourself 2000 dollars for the exact same jacket, albeit sans the little metal tag that speaks how well you're doing in life.

There's a Members jackets section on the filmjackets.com forum that's visible only to registered members, which holds plenty of high quality images of FJ jackets. It's definitely worth your time if you want to get the idea of the quality of FJ garments.

wdw

One Too Many
I like that jacket and used to look at the FJ site a lot, where it was heavily featured. I bought the Belstaff summer weight version of that jacket at top dollar.

Even then I thought it was heckuva thin and tissue-papery, then I discovered Aero and FQHH and finally realised what a total rip-off Belstaff is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points