Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson "orginal hunting vest"

Alexi

One of the Regulars
those "map pockets" are most definitively game pockets, they open in the front but you reach around all the way to the back of the vest to store the game. The two front bellows pockets also have shell loops and the shoulders are a bit padded for recoil/no-slippage of your gun but.

I'm wearing mine a size smaller then filson recommends. If warn true to size the game pouches would fit quite a few birds.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Alexi said:
those "map pockets" are most definitively game pockets, they open in the front but you reach around all the way to the back of the vest to store the game. The two front bellows pockets also have shell loops and the shoulders are a bit padded for recoil/no-slippage of your gun but.

I'm wearing mine a size smaller then filson recommends. If warn true to size the game pouches would fit quite a few birds.

Have to agree with Alexi here: if the vest were not intended for hunting, it would be a tremendous waste of material, to say the least, to make it double, with a space accessible not only by the front entry, but also through the armholes/back. While Filson started out, and remained, a logger's operation sport hunting by the second decade of the 20C was a major hobby, and being catered for.

The padded shoulders are an original feature...but I fear the shell loops in the pockets are a modernization. In the old days, you just threw them in the pockets...as I do...

"Skeet"

dr greg

One Too Many
butt of the joke

BellyTank said:
Are you sure you got that right..?
I read somewhere, that you enjoy one in the shower. ;)
T
Guys: :eek: nothing worse than misquoted Aussie slang, and none of you can do the accent either, even Meryl Streep...the correct way to say it would be : can I bum a fag OFF you.....? As one might BUM some MONEY....:D
Oldskool slang is dying in this country thanks to US sitcoms, so like whatever is so hot right now is like totally how the young dudes like talk.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family

mattfink

Practically Family
Anyone have any sizing experience with Filson's new wool vests? Contemplating getting the charcoal, but not sure if they fit true to size, small or loose?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
mattfink said:
Anyone have any sizing experience with Filson's new wool vests? Contemplating getting the charcoal, but not sure if they fit true to size, small or loose?

In my experience true to size. Goes for the wool and moleskin ones

Alexi

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:

I wear a size smaller then usual on the wool vests. I'm wearing mine right now
over a thermal and flannel under a cardigan, It's pretty cold here.

Doublegun

Practically Family
FWIW, it has been my experience that Filson's tin-cloth products run a little smaller than my regular size but their moleskin shirts and their "western" style wool vest has been pretty much spot on.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Filson actually made two different types of tin hunting vests, they only make the one now. One was a regular hunting vest and the other for waterfowl, same thing with the hunting coats. I have an old one that was a dry tin but dark in color, I wish they still made it because it doesnt fit me anymore. Unfortunatly they stopped making certain models after the company changed ownership. They actually stopped making those tin hunting vests for a short period of time but there were so many complaints from us old customers that they brought it back. I actually called to complain about a few products they dropped and the new CEO called me back, was pretty surprised. Good thing that period of "shareholder value" was short lived. He also said they would custom make anything from the old catalogue at a higher cost or certain items would be seasonal. Probably one of the few companies that still makes stuff with the same quality as they did in the old days, worth every penny.

mattfink

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice guys, I went with my suit jacket size (44) and it fit perfect. Not too tight, but still fitted in style. I was more worried about getting one that was bulky and loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24