Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finalizing a Custom Johnson leather jacket.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
I have been lucky that the very first jacket I ordered was spot on in fit. This was an Aero Sheene in Seal Vicenza. I have been wearing it when possible. However this being the very first batch of Vicenza, it is a little heavier and is not something I reach for on a regular basis.

During that time, I also had the pleasure of working with Alan at Johnson Leather and getting a M200 in Horween Vermont. Loved the leather, but ended up selling the jacket due to it not being an ideal fit.

Now Alan has got another batch of this leather and I am in the process of finalizing the jacket.

I have also come to the realization that I only like cafe racer style jackets and this is going to be no different. I am going full custom and just trying to replicate the fit of the Aero and work on making it the lightest jacket possible using the Vermont leather.

I am going to ask him to copy this jacket with the below changes.

1. Symmetric mandarin collar.
2. Straight yoke in the back.
3. Lightest/breathable lining. I want it to be a three season jacket.
4. Still debating the pockets. I have not used any of the pockets on my Aero ever and was thinking about just keeping the chest pocket.

Any other suggestions to make this better?

Thank you.

Here is a picture of how my current jacket fits.

snIKcCN.jpg

snIKcCN

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Guppy Thank you.. I will look into the nylon mesh. About the vents, I am not so sure.. never seem them in person.
They're common on motorcycle jackets. Open the zipper, and air can flow through the jacket, even if the main zipper is done up. Works great in windy conditions on a hot day.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
They're common on motorcycle jackets. Open the zipper, and air can flow through the jacket, even if the main zipper is done up. Works great in windy conditions on a hot day.
Ah that makes sense. It is very rare that I zip up my jacket and I also do not ride. So those would be redundant.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Call me crazy, but I think that original Johnson M-200 looked great on you!

I love that Horween Vermont leather. I'm actually waiting on a sample of it now from Alan.

Dave

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
@hondurasdave47 I know. I did not want to sell that jacket too. The leather was gorgeous. However there were a few things (wind flap, back, shoulders, slimmer arms) that if I wanted fixed, would have been really expensive.

Did you keep the hand warmer pockets? I never use them either, so prefer jackets w/o them.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think if you only get a pair of chest pockets, the pockets can be brought down a little bit (2-3cm or 1") to keep the proportion balanced, just my opinion

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the body of the jacket looks very nice.
hand opening seems a little big for a totally zipped cuff, seems like your fist can slide into it without opening the zipper (or maybe just photo effect)
I like it better if the collar band is installed inside/ under the body panel and cut more conical hugging the neck more than straight up vertical, but that just my own preference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana