Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally able to order an Aero

sal

One of the Regulars
Teamster in FQHH
I asked for dark rich brown. the darker the better.
Tartan lining
adding two inside pockets as well

after numerous measurements and emails Holly recommened the size to order.
I have to trust their judgement although I am nervous ordering something this expensive without trying it on.
I will only ever have one jacket this costly

Now I just have to wait (sigh)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You've put time and effort into it, listened to Holly's advice, and by the sounds of it not gone crazy with the modifications - which can only be a good thing - you should get it spot on. Now it's just the maddening wait... ;)
You know, I'm beginning to suspect the long lead-in times are a sales technique: people get so keyed-up waiting for their jacket that by the time it arrives they love the finished item, but have become addicted to the anticipation. So what can you do but order another and re-set the clock...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Depends. Currently it stands: A-2 four months, civilian leather jackets six months, shearling jackets eight months at the mo (they're sourcing new sheep skins).

Heiko

Familiar Face
Depends. Currently it stands: A-2 four months, civilian leather jackets six months, shearling jackets eight months at the mo (they're sourcing new sheep skins).

I have a problem with outerwear--I buy too much. Still, I do not fetishize brands and thus simply cannot tolerate those wait times. I need to wear the jacket within a month or two of order unless it is fully custom. Good quality doesn't need to take the better part of a year.

Those wait times also indicate major issues with the organization's management which invariably leads to issues in quality control and the like. There are other companies that take just as long but they seem to have one guy making jackets himself rather than a factory, which I understand Aero to have.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes when someone gives good service it is logged in the brain, just as if you buy a quality item you sometimes swear by it. With a friend of mine, it is Snap on Tools, another it is Wrangler jeans. With me it is Aero jackets. So I don't mind the wait as I will get what I want and hope I am happy with it.
When something about a brand stands out, I usually stick with it. GoodWear may make stitch perfect WWII fitting A2s but they all look the same to me so I'll settle on my old Eastman even though it is an older 'Off the shoulder' model, if I come across a better fitting A2 jacket at a good price I will buy it and bin the Eastman.
But buying new is all down to the individual. Aero has been good to me in the past, I had their first A2 which I took back after 30 years and there are 3 more jackets in my wardrobe. Now I am waiting on another, hopefully before the weather warms up or it will be around November when I get to wear it.
As to waiting times, there are lots of great machinists around, it's finding them thats the challenge and just because one man makes all his jackets does not mean no one else can sew a better one.
John

majormajor

One Too Many
Those wait times also indicate major issues with the organization's management which invariably leads to issues in quality control and the like.

Hi Heiko,
As you only joined FL recently, you may not be aware of the background to Aero's current backlog. If you search through some of the old threads, particularly the ones posted in December, you can get up to speed, if you wish.

Suffice to say, it is precisely because they are NOT prepared to let their quality control suffer, in the face of circumstances that have been beyond their control, that has forced them to increase their lead times.

If you are within driving distance of Galasheils, I would recommend a trip up there. There are always a good number of jackets in stock - you might be lucky and find your perfect jacket on the same day!:D;)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Have Aero given any indication a to when they'll be back to running as normal? Of my Aeros that were bought new and direct from Aero, two were bought from the sale page, and so shipped immediately. My Bootlegger (with minor modifications) took the quoted twelve weeks, while my Waterfront (the all wool jacket, not the leather reversible one) was done in less than a month. That was early 2010. I should think once they sort out he existing backlog, they'll be back to something more like that.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think a few months yet. They're basically running a twin-track approach on remakes and new orders. My feeling is that we'll start to see a lot of new jackets on the lounge soon as the re-orders have been on the go since the start of January.

Heiko

Familiar Face
If Aero inspires such loyalty they've done well for themselves.

Perhaps later in the year I will inquire again about a jacket--not two jackets though...Just one, and the same model that Worf got for himself. Aero has nice designs and look like they make good jackets. Although recently I heard some controversy about cow hides being pawned off as horse hides--that kind of mistake, if true, proves that Aero is not to be trusted.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Go and look at what the statement on the website, just read what it says. If there is one thing you can do with Aero now is trust them.

Heiko

Familiar Face
All I read was damage control...Had they not made such a statement Aero would be flat out dismissed.

Anyways, horse hide is one of the things that attracted me to Aero in the first place--if they sent me a cow then I would not be amused. That said I like Aero jackets, I just think twice and also simply won't wait nine months for a jacket. I am not renovating my house, I am purchasing a jacket--some things are worth waiting for only if you are already smitten, I am not part of the captured market

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Damage control would be where the same people who allegedly involved in the mis-selling controversy were still there. As it is, they have left the company, Ken and Lydia have returned to set Aero back on track and get waiting times down. Through out this period, they have actively engaged with FL-ers on the public boards, openly and honestly about the difficulties and situation they were in.

Heiko

Familiar Face
I didn't know the notion of damage control had that distinction as a part of its meaning--well, I still don't think it does.

The steps you mention Aero are taking are rather obligatory--if they didn't do this then that would mean they hardly even care about their loyal fan base. I'm just saying that the current state of affairs at Aero is not good, and in light of recent events I'd think twice about purchasing from Aero.

Your loyalty and advocacy of Aero is not shared by me. I like the products on the website but that doesn't mean I empathize with their current struggles. Rather, I don't care about their circumstances because that is not my business--my business is in purchasing a product. The saga of Aero is not interesting to me, their product is. That said, I am still willing to try to purchase from Aero if and when management gets things right again. However, if that takes too long then I might have found another company. In the end, I am not a big deal, I probably would have spent two to three thousand at Aero, which really doesn't amount to much.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Your loyalty and advocacy of Aero is not shared by me. I like the products on the website but that doesn't mean I empathize with their current struggles. Rather, I don't care about their circumstances because that is not my business--my business is in purchasing a product.

Then I think you might find this place a bit boring, Heiko. ;):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot