Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FINALLY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Found a great item yesterday at American Vintage in Hollywood... I was there with the young lady and a close friend... window shoppin' mind you. Then, I found a black double breasted coat... I saw there were pants with it but, the pants had a stripe down the legs... So, I saw that they were tux pants... and I thought that it was a tux... However, I noticed that the lapels had a button hole on each side and there wasn't any silk or grosgrain on the lapels as tuxes would.

So, I took it off the wrack and noticed this piece was a large size! As I took the pants off the hanger I noticed a line of stitching running along the back of the coat... and pleats sewn in... I turned the coat around to see that in fact, it was a fancy back coat with bi-swing action!!! I couldn't believe what I had found... I tried it on and it fits PERFECT!!! I took the pants and coat to the clerk and explained that it wasn't a tux and that all I wanted was the coat... they gave me some song and dance as to why they couldn't separate the pieces since they came that way from the warehouse, blah,blah,blah :rolleyes:

Anyway, I figured I'd just sell the tux pants... get home and see a tag sewn into the back pocket of the tux pants and it reads: Size: 32 Made For: Bob Smith Date: Dec 31st 46. I just about passed out... I don't go by Bob but, it is a true alternative for Rob. lol And it's neat to know that some guy had this made for maybe a fancy New Years Eve party. Cool little history.

So, I will take photos of the coat today and post them!

Stay tuned.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Color me GREEEEEN with envy!
So funny, the Bob Smith trousers, made exactly one week after I was born.
That really makes me wonder, and fantasize. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Bob Smith on the label was Buffalo Bob Smith of Howdy Doody fame? I mean, what are the chances? Slim and none. But still, it's fun to fantasize.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Patience is a virtue, which is to say that I must be singularly unvirtuous. It's great to see that you turned up a great find Rob! Maybe it's your lucky week. eep your eyes peeled on your travels!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
First off, you have an eye for the good stuff and I'm almost always envious of your finds.
However, you have found a photo of someone that looked like you from the 1940s and now this suit. Just admit it, you're time jumper.;)
Congrats, man.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Nice jacket, Rob. A pity it seems a bit tight through the hips, causing the vent to stretch open. Maybe it can be altered to accomodate?

bk

I thought that too until I went back and re-read what he wrote:

'The wind was blowing some, blowin' the pants around a little and the vent in the coat.'

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yeah, always makin' an observation... I'm sorry but you probably don't really understand how many comments I get by fellow clothes collectors that before they even greet me they'll look me over and point out what's wrong in the fit of my clothes.

I've had enough of "observations" I think it's just rude.

Feraud

Bartender
I understand where your feeling is coming from. We should differentiate collectors who envy your clothes and comment out of jealousy and an honest comment about the fit. I don't think BK's comment was intended as mean spirited.

I think the front looks great, the back a tad tight (and maybe just a touch short) but it's really no big deal.

If you are happy and secure with the jacket then that is all that matters.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well the real problem is with how an early 30s coat would fit. So many expect all coats to fit like modern ones or should be long as modern coats.

In all the movies and photos I've seen from the 30s, most coats fit short... some times the sleeves are as long as the length of the coat. And of course it will be short in the back, the belt and pleats contribute to this. All of the belted coats I've seen most people wear tend to be higher in the back than the front.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
FM - I don't know you from Adam (so, Hello! ;) ) and thought the jacket looked just fine on yah. If it feels good on you and you feel good wearing it, that's what matters.

Sorry for sidestepping in to a thread. Just thought it was pretty cool that the name inside the jacket matched your own. That'll NEVER happen to me. :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch