Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding help...

Mycroft

One Too Many
Ok, I have about $350 to spend on a leather jacket as a gift. I want to get a "cafe jacket" or motocycle racing jacket, I think that is what they are called. Andrew Marc makes the exact jacket, but is out of stock for a year, and Lost Worlds is to expensive ($700+). My requirements are unlined and not too tight fitting. Here are the 2 mechined above, any suggestion on places since they don't sell them in Florida and one with a great returrn policy too.

Andrew Marc

j1.jpg

Lost Worlds

EasyRyder-6.jpg

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Go for the Schott 141. Thats what I have. It runs about 370 on the net, but if you can find a retail store, you can usually get it for about 300.

Schott is absolute top quality with great customer service. They have naked cowhide, steer and sometimes horse.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Is it intended for motorcycling...

... or for looking like the recipient rides a bike? There are different levels of quality that come into consideration if it's actually for road protection, as well as the question of whether you want one that is set up for armor use. However, since you're looking to spend up to $350, you can certainly get a good one.

The Schott is a fine jacket, I agree. Vanson makes others you might like. I've only had one Vanson, but it was wonderful. I endorse them wholeheartedly. Here's one in a cafe style:

www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=332

They are expensive from Vanson proper, but you can find them for less.

My current favorite jacket (I've been wearing it for four years) is by an Italian company called Spidi. Some of their stuff is too race-oriented for casual wear, but others are more laid back in nature.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
The fit depends on what you want. The classic biker jacket does fit tight. You can go up a size if necessary. Mine doesn't fit skin tight.

Check the Schott website for store locations. Ask Gail for help, she is great with customer service.

Another option might be Wested. I think they will custom make other jackets for you other than the Indy. I have no idea what they would charge though.

Mycroft

One Too Many
kronos77 said:
The fit depends on what you want. The classic biker jacket does fit tight. You can go up a size if necessary. Mine doesn't fit skin tight.

Check the Schott website for store locations. Ask Gail for help, she is great with customer service.

Another option might be Wested. I think they will custom make other jackets for you other than the Indy. I have no idea what they would charge though.

Will do, thanks for the name of represntative in sales, always helps to know who to talk to. I am probelly going for the Schott, it looks awsome, now what is the real difference between black and brown for the Classic Racer? I can't tell.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Schott #141....

Mycroft:
Good choice on the style, Bro. I've got a Schott #141- had it for years.
I ordered it one size larger than my suit jacket size and it fits perfectly.
Try www.legendaryusa.com as another source. They always stock that model and they often have sales.
That's a good look- more '60's Steve McQueen than Golden Era- but you can dress it up with a shirt and tie. Looks killer with a turtleneck.
Go for it!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Keep in mind the lining when figuring out your size. I wear mine as an everyday jacket in the winter, so I made sure mine fit with the lining. Down in Florida you won't need it.

I bought mine at my regular size, 38, but without the lining it might have fit better in a 36. Like I said, talk to gail first, then check the return policy just in case.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maybe, for kicks

Maybe you could stop by a nearby Harley store and just have a look. Sometimes the jackets they stock are pretty neat. I don't know the price range. [huh]

kronos77

One of the Regulars
The steer and horse are both more water resistant than the naked cowhide. The steerhide cafe racer is cut different, a little smaller. I have samples of the cow. steer and horse from Schott. I beat them up a bit an noticed that the horse really creases up easily, while their steer and cow don't crease as much.

If I had to do it over, I might possibly choose steer over cow for the water resistance. But the naked cowhide is so beautiful. It has a soft feel and a moist look to it as the natural oils show through.

Mycroft

One Too Many
kronos77 said:
The steer and horse are both more water resistant than the naked cowhide. The steerhide cafe racer is cut different, a little smaller. I have samples of the cow. steer and horse from Schott. I beat them up a bit an noticed that the horse really creases up easily, while their steer and cow don't crease as much.

If I had to do it over, I might possibly choose steer over cow for the water resistance. But the naked cowhide is so beautiful. It has a soft feel and a moist look to it as the natural oils show through.

I keep that in mind, but the price difference is a bit much from what I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk