Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    Guys, good discussion, but should be probably in its own thread. People come into this thread looking for Finds and Deals, thx.

Zoo and Coriu like this.
  2. Coriu

Coriu Practically Family

Done. Thank you for suggestion.

Will Zach likes this.
  3. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

My grais is from the 50s, thread here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/50s-grais-horsehide-lining-restored.101998/
    Very good quality hide with great patina, nearly everytime I wear it someone says "wow, that's a nice jacket!"

4. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Claybertrand likes this.
  5. 56DeSoto

56DeSoto Familiar Face

6. Kubatu

Kubatu A-List Customer

7. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Perhaps this is sacrilege but I'm really warming to these Cross zips with Standing Collars. I've seen a few of them lately and I dig the look. Its something different. This is a nice combo Cafe Racer Cross Zip. If this was a 44-46 WD, I'd have bought it when I saw it. I think WDs run true to size to perhaps a bit big. But nothing like Aero. Cool jacket. Good price.

tmitchell59 and 56DeSoto like this.
  8. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    No sacrilege, Langlitz Cascade is an unassailable classic. The idea is to have one x-zip with a conventional collar and one with a mandarin collar. ;)

9. Jumper

Jumper A-List Customer

JMax and handymike like this.
  10. Jumper

Jumper A-List Customer

jonbuilder, Mich486, dannyk and 3 others like this.
  11. Jumper

Jumper A-List Customer

Yeah, I'd want to see the measuring.

handymike likes this.
  12. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

I've never seen this leather Appalachian Label before. It looks unused. Its clearly an Old Vintage jacket because Appalachian became Taylor long ago from what I know. I have seen the leather Hercules Labels and its very much the same as this one in a lot of ways.

Terry has theorized, with plenty of examples, that Appalachian was likely the maker of the Sears Fieldmaster and Oakbrook jackets. By this same logic, they COULD have made some of the Hercules jackets in the era just preceding the Fieldmasters too. I don't think there is anything definitive in writing confirming the connection here but I feel that it is correct nonetheless as to the connection between Appalachian and some early Sears Jackets. I don't think they made the earlier Hercules jackets. At least, it doesn't appear they did.

But seeing the similarities between this leather label and the early Hercules leather label has be thinking there was perhaps some overlap/connection to the Hercules jackets as well with Appalachian. I don't know how far of a leap this is but there are some intriguing similarities here.

JMax, jonbuilder and Jumper like this.
  13. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I find this design very appealing, the twin pockets. I have a windward with such pockets, but not vertical pocket. I had thought this style was later in the 50s, but I attribute that leather Appalachian tag to the late 40s/early 50s and short lived. The lining is more in line with that time frame too. Appalachian made jackets for Sears. This is very like their police jackets.

14. Coriu

Coriu Practically Family

15. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

tmitchell59 and Jumper like this.
  16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

jonbuilder likes this.
  17. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

18. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many