Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Claybertrand

Claybertrand Practically Family

Damn that's clean!!! Looks to be a custom size for a bigger dude. Dare I say this out loud---- Don't sleep on these Canadian jackets......... they seem to be perhaps the last frontier of true vintage coolness....... I have seen a number of very cool Canadian jackets over the last year or so (bought a couple too:confused::confused:) and though the brands are foreign to most of us, there is some awesome Canadian vintage leather out there. I dig the Lightning (Talon) zippers. Talon design on the parts that matter and a cool oval Lightning pull instead of the familiar rectangular Talon down in the U.S. That whole Talon/Lightning story is interesting.

Anyway, white isn't my thing in general but I'd be very very very...like VERRRRY tempted if this were my size.o_O

2. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Well it’s indeed odd. But on closer inspection of the eBay pics I’m totally wrong as the zip box looks like it says “Talon” (vertically) on it too (not C & C), so it is not mismatched with the talon branded pull. But the track teeth do seem to be the classic crown/C and C shape hence my confusion (wasn’t aware of Talon zips with this shape of teeth)! The different colours of the zip components also make things look odd but could be due to the plating wearing/different base metals under the plating? The seller says main zip is a replacement... it’s all still a bit of a puzzle. Maybe a real zip guru (not me!) can enlighten us!

As an aside, in my limited experience some mixing and matching zip brands is not always impossible. I successfully used a modern YKK male side of a zip mated to the female side of an original 1970’s vintage CLIX zipper in a jacket I refurbished... but clearly finding what might work with what is a long and potentially fruitless trial and error process....

Claybertrand and JMax like this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

JMax likes this.
  4. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

I've had great success matching male pin ykk to talon #10. Cal Leather shop has done it for me two or three times. A Cal Chp from ray 80s and that Vanson C2 I posted yesterday. They also matched to my Enfield although that wasnt Talon. But in the end they decided zipper was fine for now and to hold off.

Claybertrand and JMax like this.
  5. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

Claybertrand likes this.
  6. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Well looks like that zipper track is in fact a talon N2A zip, and I’d guess original, looking at photos on mash of talon N2A zip

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/repair/zipper/milspeczip.cgi

The mash photo shows its got the same zipper box with “talon” written vertically on it and the unusual (crown/C & C style) zip teeth design that is different to usual talons I’ve seen. But the pull tab is different in the mash photo (paper clip style), so maybe the pull tab part on the jacket zip is a (talon) replacement? If it’s just the tab not the slider it shouldn’t be an issue

I never knew some talon zips came with that track style... learn something every day!

Anyway enough detail derailment... back to finds and deals. Wish this jacket would fit me, I like it a lot, seller issues notwithstanding...

jonbuilder, Claybertrand and Monitor like this.
  7. JurassicUtility

JurassicUtility Familiar Face

Awesome looking jacket, but too small even for me if those measurements are accurate. I'm more of a 19 inch pit-pit, and the sleeves seem really short too.

Jin431 likes this.
  8. Monitor

Monitor

It's absolutely insane how cheap this is. Congratulations @Kubatu. Helluva deal you got there.
    The jacket is Beck as well and it sells for $600 plus. Possibly $900 in this condition. It's a Schott made, later model but still, a gem of a jacket. Interestingly enough, the pants are older than the jacket and belong to an early Beck jacket, I believe. Earlier Beck jacket also had a lot of French seams like these pants, which are absent on later versions. Wherever this was bought, they must've simply paired the jacket and the pants at some point and sold it like that. Really cool, in any case!

Instead of endlessly debating on this, someone should really just buy it. I've never seen a Cal like this and especially not one in brown. I would if I could. Beautiful patina and all but seriously, what the heck is that zipper!? Those teeth look like they belong on a size 20 Crown!

JMax, Jin431, Kubatu and 1 other person like this.
  9. Monitor

Monitor

@Carlos840 , you always wanted to see a good Cal. Won't get a better chance than this. Can someone else buy this for you???

10. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'd proxy and ship to Belgium :)

AbbaDatDeHat, JMax and Jin431 like this.
  11. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I’m just checkin in to see if Carlos has stepped up. No? I’ll be back.

Jin431 likes this.
  12. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

CP Company leather car coat in a size 48. Located in the UK. Looks pretty cool, but the sleeve measurement (shoulder to cuff) is listed as 22", which I would want to check...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193909708106

CP Leather Car Coat.jpg

Jin431 likes this.
  13. Moontanning

Moontanning One of the Regulars

14. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Attached Files:

ton312, roadking04, dannyk and 5 others like this.
  15. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

ton312, roadking04, dannyk and 2 others like this.
  16. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

I'll add @abone2010
    wow wow wow. They shouldn't have done a center back seam though on something premium like this. Maybe it would have messed up the pattern though.

abone2010 and Jin431 like this.
  17. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

And not often I see one that will fit me...and then it’s white..I can’t do white leather

18. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

You could wear it to the beach. LOL

Claybertrand, Marc mndt and Boyo like this.
  19. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up